Uptown 4/5 has been really slow during morning rush

fifreak

Have noticed over the last few weeks the 4/5 has been running quite slow uptown during morning rush between City Hall and Grand Central. Sometimes it is to the point where it is faster to take the 6. Anyone know why? I'm boarding in Brooklyn and it seems there is normal spacing between trains. Is there some kind of work going on?

You never know if its riders traveling between Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. As others said above, the (R) isn't running between Whitehall Street and Jay Street-MetroTech due to repair work ongoing through the Montague Street Tunnel. It had also pulled those Manhattan-Brooklyn goers on the (4)(5) and perhaps the (N)(Q).

Also don't forget about (1) train passengers properly going on (4)(5) to Fulton St for (2)(3)(A)(C) as well.

Fully agreed. With the (1) ending at Rector Street and the (R) not running between Whitehall and Jay Streets, riders are forced to use other lines and continue their trip to where they are going around Lower Manhattan and/or Downtown Brooklyn.

It's the old myth that the express is faster; I was on the 6 the other day and as the train pulls into 14th, I see this guy race across the platform and just jump on the 5. 20 minutes later, I watch him run up the stairs and get back in the same car of my same 6 train at 86th. Go figure.

Fully agreed. With the (1) ending at Rector Street and the (R) not running between Whitehall and Jay Streets, riders are forced to use other lines and continue their trip to where they are going around Lower Manhattan and/or Downtown Brooklyn.

It's a short walk from South Ferry to Rector. South Ferry to Wall isn't very long, either. Most regular 1 riders at South Ferry are probably walking to either Rector or Wall and avoiding unnecessary transfers.

Archived