The Service restorations & investments for Jan. 2013 Thread!

limitednyc

Oh I'm not surprised about the early buses being crowded at all... Folks that need to be in at 07:00... Those are the ones that use them and even me at times I have to be in early for projects or networking events, so I've taken those buses too and they are crowded.

As for the X22 off-peak buses, I don't realistically think those buses would be crowded enough to justify having them, esp. not with the (MTA) 's budget so they extended the X17s down there instead.

Two would probably be suffice, a 9:30 and 10:30 departure at first and see who shows up. The last x17J is packed on weekdays. The ongoing construction on the SIE to BBT/HLC and related delays may be a factor IMO.

From personal observation almost no one transfers from local buses, if any most drive to their bus stop.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two would probably be suffice, a 9:30 and 10:30 departure at first and see who shows up. The last x17J is packed on weekdays. The ongoing construction on the SIE to BBT/HLC and related delays may be a factor IMO.

From personal observation almost no one transfers from local buses, if any most drive to their bus stop.

I've actually used the last few X17Js in the morning and while not packed, they're pretty full.  Has there been more riders since Bus Time or about the same?

I've actually used the last few X17Js in the morning and while not packed, they're pretty full.  Has there been more riders since Bus Time or about the same?

I honestly can't remember. Since I was off on NYE I took the last x17j and quite full would probably be a better description. I also think traffic on the SIE might have something to do with it. Even at 5-6am x19's get stuck in the mess before the VNB.

I honestly can't remember. Since I was off on NYE I took the last x17j and quite full would probably be a better description. 

Yeah it all depends on the day in terms of how full the last buses are... I was surprised at how many people work in the office a few days and then work from home... 

I haven't really thought about the weekday off-peak ridership, but I can tell you from experience on the x22/23/24 in the 5:00am hour the buses are packed. Even the formerly first 161 NJT at 5:30a to NY is a near full-house. Many of those folks are in the construction trades.

As for my thoughts on the x17 expansion:

I think the route is too long distance wise and time-wise. Living towards the end/origin of the line which begins at Huguenot/Woodrow Rd, the trip coming home feels longer than the trip to Manhattan I couldn't imagine taking it to some point at the end. This route is unbearable knowing the streets of Staten Island.

In my opinion the MTA should have ran a few off-peak x22's.

Currently, in the morning most if not all people going downtown stay on the x22 and do not get off at the "Checkpoint" (name given because of Atlantic Express BO's checking in with their dispatcher) before it gets on the 440 highway to catch the x19. When I take the x22. most folks get off at 8th Avenue and take the A,C,E trains downtown.

The s55/s56 ridership is terrible, though out of both of them the s56 has more.

If anything, my proposal presented before would be to run buses to Metropark and Woodbridge Center Drive as many Staten Islanders work out there. My route would start at Eltingville Transit Center and then the Outerbridge P&R go down 35 to Woodbridge Center Drive, and then over to Metropark and Metropark NEC station. I also think that NJT should run it.

Stops to incude:

- Eltingville Transit Center

- Outerbridge P&R

- Convery Blvd (35) at 440 Connector

- Main Street at Amboy

- Woodbridge Center Drive (3 Stops)

- Metropark Loop

- Metropark NJT station

Fares would be 2-3 zone intrastate, boundry at Main Street @ Amboy Ave.and inititially run rush hours.

Sorry for going off-topic, but the January service enhancements highlighted the MTA's desire to serve new markets.

Also, overnight x1 service is excellent!

I like your intentions but not needed as S89 can be extended to tottenville via huguenot SIR then to bricktown to link to my S55 to metropark. I guess I underestimated the potential ridership for my S55 extension I didn't know so many SIers went to metropark. I chose metropark as it provided the most transfer opportunities and regional links and is also part of my NJT proposal which has a network of GSP lines that stop at metropark going to many other areas. And S55 needed that part more than say S56 which will go just fine with academy and the infamous 139 Lets see how crowded it can really get now.

It's good that they made the extension, but MTA has got to do something with the B64 out there in Coney Island....

3 buses did 3 different things as far as passenger pick up is concerned.

First of all, the "B64 stops here" handwritten sign (on a yellow-greenish piece of paper) on the corner of mermaid/stillwell is not visible from the Mermaid bus loop side...... It's on the same side as the (boarded up) McDonalds by the way.

(I have "handwritten" underlined bolded b/c you can see the paper, but the writing is facing Stillwell)

In total, I saw 4 (possibly 5, I'll explain) B64's from the time I was out there.....

The first 2 B64's arrived one behind the other..... the "lead" b/o stopped at that same corner (in front of the mickey D's), walked off somewhere, and about 5 mins or so later, he pulled out.... Buses use the mermaid bus loop as a turnaround.... After the loop was completed, there was 1 person on board (there was no one waiting by the 68 or the 82 shelter, so that person must've gotten on at the 74 shelter).... The following bus went OOS.....

[it was after these 2 buses left CI that I even noticed that paper sign across the street]

A 3rd bus (unsigned) dropped off pax at that corner.... I'm waiting over by the mcdonalds, and this guy doesn't even look my way.... I'm convinced that this was a B64 b/c he did not take any type of layover whatsoever; used mermaid bus loop as a turnaround & left with two passengers on board..... At this time, there was a 68 at the 68 shelter & there were no buses (nor any passengers, b/c one had just pulled out) at the 74 shelter...... Meaning, this guy probably picked up those 2 ppl. over by the 82 shelter..... From a distance, I know that the 68 makes a that right on neptune & the 82 makes a left - this (unsigned) bus continued straight on stillwell.....

The 4th bus (which most likely came from the depot) was the bus I got on..... Asian guy; his demeanor struck me as if he's a new hire; I noticed he went over to the dispatcher & they both pointed at me (as if to say, what's he doing waiting over there).... Then I saw the b/o (asian guy) make a circular motion around the loop w/ his fingers, like he was askin the dispatcher 'is this where I turnaround'..... about a good 5-7 mins later, he comes over to the bus & asks "you want the 64" & I said "yup"...... He commences punching some code to power up the farebox, and I eventually dip my card & go sit down..... As we were pulling out, an elderly Asian lady asks "you pick up here?" and dude said "no pickup, no pickup".... I hear that, and to myself I'm like WTF is going on; you mean to tell me that this isn't a pickup stop & this guy picked me up here out of kindness? Anyway, he eventually let the lady on (who got off along Harway)...... No one attempted to board anywhere along the loop.....

Between the time the above bus was backing into the stop & the time he got off the bus to walk over to the dispatcher, a 5th B64 dropped off someone off at the loop & went OOS....

----------------------

During the time I was waiting.....

- The first in service 64 towards Bay ridge that waited at that corner & left I'm not miffed at..... I'm not taking 100% of the blame b/c there's nothing posted at Mermaid bus loop that tells you were the 64 stops (and I got off the subway on the mermaid loop side too !), but if you wanna say not walking/running to catch that first bus is my fault, then fine....

- It's that 2nd in service 64 towards Bay ridge is when I got pissed..... he didn't motion me towards the bus (again, he didn't look my way... I was looking at him the whole time), and at the time, the light at that corner was red too.....

- The 3rd in service 64 towards Bay ridge was the bus I got on.... I got off at 5th av (another headache of a different kind, waiting over by that movie theatre @ night for the 63).... Anyway, I thanked the guy as I got off.... The bus pretty much emptied out at this point..... The b/o greeted every single person as they disembarked.... I don't blame him one bit.

---------------

I make this rant to say this:

There needs to be a definitive drop-off stop & pick up stop for the B64 there, clear for the passengers to see & know/realize.....

None of this (seemingly) sometimey, freelance, do whatever BS........

It's good that they made the extension, but MTA has got to do something with the B64 out there in Coney Island....

First of all, the "B64 stops here" handwritten sign (on a yellow-greenish piece of paper) on the corner of mermaid/stillwell is not visible from the Mermaid bus loop side...... It's on the same side as the (boarded up) McDonalds by the way.

(I have "handwritten" underlined bolded b/c you can see the paper, but the writing is facing Stillwell)

In total, I saw 4 (possibly 5, I'll explain) B64's from the time I was out there.....

The first 2 B64's arrived one behind the other..... the "lead" b/o stopped at that same corner (in front of the mickey D's), walked off somewhere, and about 5 mins or so later, he pulled out.... Buses use the mermaid bus loop as a turnaround.... After the loop was completed, there was 1 person on board (there was no one waiting by the 68 or the 82 shelter, so that person must've gotten on at the 74 shelter).... The following bus went OOS.....

[it was after these 2 buses left CI that I even noticed that paper sign across the street]

A 3rd bus (unsigned) dropped off pax at that corner.... I'm waiting over by the mcdonalds, and this guy doesn't even look my way.... I'm convinced that this was a B64 b/c he did not take any type of layover whatsoever; used mermaid bus loop as a turnaround & left with two passengers on board..... At this time, there was a 68 at the 68 shelter & there were no buses (nor any passengers, b/c one had just pulled out) at the 74 shelter...... Meaning, this guy probably picked up those 2 ppl. over by the 82 shelter..... From a distance, I know that the 68 makes a that right on neptune & the 82 makes a left - this (unsigned) bus continued straight on stillwell.....

The 4th bus (which most likely came from the depot) was the bus I got on..... Asian guy; his demeanor struck me as if he's a new hire; I noticed he went over to the dispatcher & they both pointed at me (as if to say, what's he doing waiting over there).... Then I saw the b/o (asian guy) make a circular motion around the loop w/ his fingers, like he was askin the dispatcher 'is this where I turnaround'..... about a good 5-7 mins later, he comes over to the bus & asks "you want the 64" & I said "yup"...... He commences punching some code to power up the farebox, and I eventually dip my card & go sit down..... As we were pulling out, an elderly Asian lady asks "you pick up here?" and dude said "no pickup, no pickup".... I hear that, and to myself I'm like WTF is going on; you mean to tell me that this isn't a pickup stop & this guy picked me up here out of kindness? Anyway, he eventually let the lady on (who got off along Harway)...... No one attempted to board anywhere along the loop.....

Between the time the above bus was backing into the stop & the time he got off the bus to walk over to the dispatcher, a 5th B64 dropped off someone off at the loop & went OOS....

----------------------

- The first in service 64 towards Bay ridge that waited at that corner & left I'm not miffed at..... I'm not taking 100% of the blame b/c there's nothing posted at Mermaid bus loop that tells you were the 64 stops (and I got off the subway on the mermaid loop side too !), but if you wanna say not walking/running to catch that first bus is my fault, then fine....

- It's that 2nd in service 64 towards Bay ridge is when I got pissed..... he didn't motion me towards the bus (again, he didn't look my way... I was looking at him the whole time), and at the time, the light at that corner was red too.....

- The 3rd in service 64 towards Bay ridge was the bus I got on.... I got off at 5th av (another headache of a different kind, waiting over by that movie theatre @ night for the 63).... Anyway, I thanked the guy as I got off.... The bus pretty much emptied out at this point..... The b/o greeted every single person as they disembarked.... I don't blame him one bit.

---------------

There needs to be a definitive drop-off stop & pick up stop for the B64 there, clear for the passengers to see & know/realize.....

From what I heard is that the B64 is being detoured through the terminal then a right turn 

back onto Stillwell ave and then regular route

And yes the temporary stop is on Stillwell next to McDoanlds...

If you seen a dispatcher there you should have went and asked him,

where the stop was and when was/is the next B64 leaving

Also Stillwell and Mermaid is the last stop and the bus pulls in from there.

So by some chance the bus OOS you seen was heading back to the depot.

As for the people on it, they could have been other drivers.

The B36 has it's relief point on Stillwell and Surf ave.

Plus I think some of the runs on B74 gets relieved at the terminal

So a lot of times guys hope a ride back on the run off.

From what I heard is that the B64 is being detoured through the terminal then a right turn 

back onto Stillwell ave and then regular route

And yes the temporary stop is on Stillwell next to McDoanlds...

If you seen a dispatcher there you should have went and asked him,

where the stop was and when was/is the next B64 leaving

Also Stillwell and Mermaid is the last stop and the bus pulls in from there.

So by some chance the bus OOS you seen was heading back to the depot.

As for the people on it, they could have been other drivers.

The B36 has it's relief point on Stillwell and Surf ave.

Plus I think some of the runs on B74 gets relieved at the terminal

So a lot of times guys hope a ride back on the run off.

Well it's no way you would have known, so I'm going to say this:

The b/o of the bus I eventually boarded, had walked over to the black vehicle that the dispatcher was inside of (it was parked directly across from the 68 shelter)..... In other words, there's no way I would've known who the heck that was sitting inside that car; it's suicide to walk up to some strange vehicle for any reason AFAIC......

Anyway, yeah, buses used the loop as a turnaround.... The OOS buses I wasn't worried about; I get that they were heading back to the depot..... As far as the one guy on the 1st in service 64 & the two on the 2nd in service 64, they could've been MTA personnel (I thought about that as I was standing there), but I highly doubt it.... they were in plain clothes & none of em were sitting near the b/o's of those two buses......

Speaking of the 36, (from a distance) I didn't see one that whole time I was out there..... before I got on the 64 I took, I walked over to surf av (after goin to subway for a pair of sandwiches) b/c I was gonna just give up & ride the 36 towards sheepshead.... For the 36 heading towards sea gate, there were about 10 ppl. or so standing there waiting....

Well it's no way you would have known, so I'm going to say this:

The b/o of the bus I eventually boarded, had walked over to the black vehicle that the dispatcher was inside of (it was parked directly across from the 68 shelter)..... In other words, there's no way I would've known who the heck that was sitting inside that car; it's suicide to walk up to some strange vehicle for any reason AFAIC......

Anyway, yeah, buses used the loop as a turnaround.... The OOS buses I wasn't worried about; I get that they were heading back to the depot..... As far as the one guy on the 1st in service 64 & the two on the 2nd in service 64, they could've been MTA personnel (I thought about that as I was standing there), but I highly doubt it.... they were in plain clothes & none of em were sitting near the b/o's of those two buses......

Speaking of the 36, (from a distance) I didn't see one that whole time I was out there..... before I got on the 64 I took, I walked over to surf av (after goin to subway for a pair of sandwiches) b/c I was gonna just give up & ride the 36 towards sheepshead.... For the 36 heading towards sea gate, there were about 10 ppl. or so standing there waiting....

Oh sorry I didn't know the dispatcher was sitting in a vehicle and a un-marked one at that.

And I don't blame you for not going over to him or the vehicle, I wouldn't either.

As for the two buses I just thought maybe they were run offs. But I guess not.

Yea the 36 you never know what is happening with them.

That route got worst.

Are current ridership habits reflecting that now, or is that just a simple opinion based on your prediction of sorts?

(honest question)

Based on the routing, I think more people would be inclined to take the M9 because it connects so much of Lower Midtown/Downtown Manhattan.

----------------------

---------------

This BS game of cat and mouse is going to go on down there until someone writes into the (MTA) and complains because this is something that the DOT is supposed to handle... I had that same nonsense going on at the M3 stop there by that Toys R Us there near Union Square a while back... When that bus stop was taken down by some incompetent DOT worker and not replaced, then suddenly none of the B/Os wanted to stop there, talking about that's not a stop and I got into numerous arguments about it with them.  I'm like since when is this not a stop, when ALL of the other buses stop here?? You had all of these elderly people trying to hail down the bus and they were all driving in the furthest lane away from the curb and bypassing it being smart @sses.  Then you would ask the B/Os that did stop there and they would say they didn't know if it was a stop or not and were stopping there to be nice. Really?  <_<   Now all of these years that stop has been there and I said to myself, I'm going to put a nip in the bud to this BS.  Once I wrote in and made a stink about that, they forwarded my complaint to the department that handles the bus stop replacements and one Saturday I looked up and violà... Brand new M3 sign, though it was now where the M2 stops instead of its previous position there at the M1 stop and eventually they put a timetable there as well.  

Until that is done there will be the constant runaround and everyone will make their own stop, from the passengers to the B/Os... 

---

To respond to Shortline's question, all that is needed is to contact the (MTA) and have the complaint forwarded to the DOT because they're the one's responsible for installing the stops.  If the problem continues, then I would contact an elected official to look into the problem further because at that point it would be a case of the DOT not doing their job and needing to be leaned on to address the problem.

Based on the routing, I think more people would be inclined to take the M9 because it connects so much of Lower Midtown/Downtown Manhattan.

The M22 also has a really weird routing right now - Chambers St is being ripped up, so there's only one lane in the westbound direction, and there aren't really any westbound stops. (They actually ripped out the westbound stop in front of BMCC...)

I don't even know where the eastbound routing of the bus is anymore, so I've given up using the M22 on my trips between TriBeCa and Chinatown - it's too much of a hassle.

SMH. One day before the restorations, and they still haven't updated Google Transit to reflect them.

Don't get your hopes up on that....

The M22 also has a really weird routing right now - Chambers St is being ripped up, so there's only one lane in the westbound direction, and there aren't really any westbound stops. (They actually ripped out the westbound stop in front of BMCC...)

I don't even know where the eastbound routing of the bus is anymore, so I've given up using the M22 on my trips between TriBeCa and Chinatown - it's too much of a hassle.

That construction is STILL going on over there by BMCC along chambers??? it's been like 2 years already, I thought they were just repaving the road or something over there.... I'll ride the M22 sometime this week to see what it does; haven't rode it since the alteration.....

Don't get your hopes up on that....

That construction is STILL going on over there by BMCC along chambers??? it's been like 2 years already, I thought they were just repaving the road or something over there.... I'll ride the M22 sometime this week to see what it does; haven't rode it since the alteration.....

I think they're doing it in phases - between West and Greenwich the construction has ended, but the construction stretches from Greenwich to either Church or Broadway.

I think the construction started in my sophmore year of high school, and it's still going on in my senior year... I expect Chambers St to be under reconstruction for at least another year or two.

Alright, so now the S93 is listed on Google Transit. The MTA Trip Planner & Google Transit both have the westbound S93 down as not stopping outside the CSI gate. However, BusTime has it listed as a stop. (All the sites list the eastbound S93 as stopping outside the gate, so at least that's not a problem.)

M22 westbound makes no stops between Broadway and Greenwich Street.  Eastbound it uses Warren Street making stops on the west side of the West Side Highway, Greenwich, and Church, then makes a right onto Broadway and a left onto Park Row.

Look at the map on the schedule: http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m022cur.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried or know of the ridership of the new weekday x17's that originate/terminate in Tottenville? The BO's I talk to didn't know.

Just looking at the timetable I'm shocked and comparing:
1 hour from the first stop Hylan Blvd/Bedell Ave to Eltingville Transit Center
45 minutes minimum to Manhattan from ETC

Compared to:

30 minutes from Main Street/Amboy Road to New Dorp Lane/Hylan Blvd.
40 Minutes to Manhattan from New Dorp Lane/Hylan

I think they should have expanded the x22 and served Travis and the hotels near the West Shore Expressway and Mariners Harbor off-peak hours but before the PM rush at the Lincoln Tunnel to New York.

---
In other express bus news that pertains to my usage:

- The x22 now has a 8:38pm departure from outside of PABT so I can get home faster when working late
- Sunday service utilization on the x17 seems comparable to Saturday service based on the 5am, 11a-3pm ;1pm -7pm trips I have taken on both days. Still extremely happy that there is full service :)
- x17's are running Prevosts as well as traditional MCI's out of Yukon (instead of Charleston) as well the occasional brand new bus (love that brand new bus smell ;) 
- Still haven't taken late night x1 service yet.

Has anyone tried or know of the ridership of the new weekday x17's that originate/terminate in Tottenville? The BO's I talk to didn't know.

Compared to:

I think they should have expanded the x22 and served Travis and the hotels near the West Shore Expressway and Mariners Harbor off-peak hours but before the PM rush at the Lincoln Tunnel to New York.

---

In other express bus news that pertains to my usage:

- The x22 now has a 8:38pm departure from outside of PABT so I can get home faster when working late :)

- Sunday service utilization on the x17 seems comparable to Saturday service based on the 5am, 11a-3pm ;1pm -7pm trips I have taken on both days. Still extremely happy that there is full service :)

- Still haven't taken late night x1 service yet.

Yeah the X17 was really a success. By around 23rd street, I've seen 10 people on the bus on a Sunday. The amount of passengers on the express portion would obviously be more.

The midday X17 is long, I might check it out someday when I have the chance to see how ridership would be.

I'm glad the south shore finally got convenient and more bus service. It's a victory!

Yeah the X17 was really a success. By around 23rd street, I've seen 10 people on the bus on a Sunday. The amount of passengers on the express portion would obviously be more.

The midday X17 is long, I might check it out someday when I have the chance to see how ridership would be.

I'm glad the south shore finally got convenient and more bus service. It's a victory!

Not that shocked about the X17... A lot of the riders that the X10 had on Sunday were really X17 riders.  You should see them pack on there at Victory and Richmond esp. I suspect that ridership will grow very much the way that it has with the increased headways on the X10.  You can't look at how many people you see on a bus here and there.  You need to use a route regularly to truly gauge how well that route is doing and the X17 service expansion was needed because of the amount of crowding on the X10 and specifically where the crowding was occurring. Even with the 20 minute headway improvements on the weekends, the X10s can still be crowded, so they're not adding an overwhelming amount of service that won't be used.

Compared to:

For what it's worth, I've taken it, and my brother has taken it, and the ridership is basically the same as it normally is. (We don't live on the South Shore, but if ridership was booming down there, we would've noticed more crowding by the time it hit our neighborhood)

I agree that they went about doing it the wrong way. I'm not sure if going all-out with X22 midday service would've been the best idea, but it would definitely be better than this extension.

Archived