The Service restorations & investments for Jan. 2013 Thread!

limitednyc

No they are making the stand on Mermaid Avenue at Stillwell Avenue

So the B64 will not be using the Stillwell Loop. the

Westbound trip from stand on Mermaid Avenue, right on W. 15th Street,

right on Neptune Avenue, left on Stillwell Avenue, left on Harway Avenue,

right on 25th Avenue, then existing route.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered about that myself....

What contor is saying does make sense though.... that very corner he's talking about (across from the mcdonalds on the mermaid av side) is already a spot where you see a bus (at times) parking along..... Instead of having buses parked there, they could have B64's pickup/dropoff there....

Here is what was on the MTA "Temporary Bulletin" I seen

>>>>Effective Sunday, January 6th 2013, as part of the 2012 Service Investments the B64 will be extended full-time to Stillwell Avenue / Mermaid Avenue. This will restore the route to Coney Island that was previously discontinued as part of the June 2010 service reductions. Please note that the B64 terminal will not use the Stillwell Loop under the Coney Island – Stillwell Avenue DFNQ Station due to insufficient layover space.<<<<

Terminal Stand – Southern End

On Mermaid Avenue, Farside of Stillwell Avenue

I don't really see this new route getting any ridership. I always used to see no more than 3-4 ppl on the old Q79, so the new extension is either going to be the same or worst. And if you look at the ridership statistics the Q79 had the worst local bus ridership in Queens excluding the MTA bus Q89. Even the Q74 and Q75 had better ridership.

I don't really see this new route getting any ridership. I always used to see no more than 3-4 ppl on the old Q79, so the new extension is either going to be the same or worst. And if you look at the ridership statistics the Q79 had the worst local bus ridership in Queens excluding the MTA bus Q89. Even the Q74 and Q75 had better ridership.

we shall see I have a feeling this Q36 will do much better.

I can see the area below Hillside and Little Neck getting better ridership but everywhere else, I don't think so. To me the Q79 was a boring route because it didn't go anywhere. When I saw the Q79 I only saw 3 to 4 ppl, unless rush hour it had a few more riders. Yeah I can tell seniors had the route because a new driver wouldn't want that route.

I can see the area below Hillside and Little Neck getting better ridership but everywhere else, I don't think so. To me the Q79 was a boring route because it didn't go anywhere. When I saw the Q79 I only saw 3 to 4 ppl, unless rush hour it had a few more riders. Yeah I can tell seniors had the route because a new driver wouldn't want that route.

It's the opposite. Everybody would want a route like the Q79, but the senior drivers would get first dibs on routes like that. I assume there's very little traffic, and with low ridership, it's easier to drive that route.

no why is becoming weekday.. i know its gonna be on the 20th

80% of what Charleston operates is on a weekday only schedule except for the S74, S78 and x17. Castleton can handle the S78 while Yukon can handle the S74 and x17 because of the fact that they have spare buses laying around.

Yes everything from 25 Ave to Shore Rd will be the same.

ROUTE DESCRIPTION

Eastbound

Existing route to 25th Avenue, left on Harway Avenue, right on Stillwell Avenue, right on Mermaid Avenue to last stop and stand on Mermaid Avenue at Stillwell Avenue.

Westbound

Westbound from stand on Mermaid Avenue, right on W. 15th Street, right on Neptune Avenue, left on Stillwell Avenue, left on Harway Avenue, right on 25th Avenue, then existing route.

The Q79 had a schedule that was from 20-30 minute headways so I'm assuming that if a driver finished his run he would have a 20 minute layover time right? The Q79 doesn't need many buses to cover it the most I say being 4 buses.

Well, I don't have the old schedule in front of me, but Google Transit says that the Q79 route took about 15 minutes to complete. So I'm guessing each bus had a 60 minute cycle, which means you need 2 buses for 30 minute headways.

Scheduled runtime was 22min weekday s/b, 25min weekday n/b, 21min Sat s/b, 22min Sat n/b.

On weekdays 2 buses ran with scheduled layovers of 5min at Floral Park and 10min at Little Neck.

On Saturdays I suspect interlining. Without it, layovers were 9min at Floral Park and 8min at Little Neck. There was a 40 minute gap in midday Saturday service, for some reason.

80% of what Charleston operates is on a weekday only schedule except for the S74, S78 and x17. Castleton can handle the S78 while Yukon can handle the S74 and x17 because of the fact that they have spare buses laying around.

Not only that but they used to operate those buses anyway before... The only change would be the S74 running out of Yukon instead of Castleton... Hell they both have more room now too...

http://www.silive.com/westshore/index.ssf/2013/01/extended_bus_service_for_the_c.html

Extended S93 service starts 1/22/13. Not sure of the dates of the other additions. (I think it's still January 6th, and the only reason they delayed the S93 one is because the new term at CSI doesn't start until the 22nd).

Archived