The Service restorations & investments for Jan. 2013 Thread!

limitednyc

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will mta bus get some damn timetables at bus stops

Yes they will effective Winter 2013 or January 2013. They have to re-do the schedules due to the new year. They didn't get them last year due to the guide a rides being put after schedules were re done mostly in the Spring.

So the B39 will be back in service on Sunday ?

That's correct... January 6th...

---

Now, let me comment on some of the service restorations... I am a little puzzled with some of the service... If a trip on the B39 takes 6-11 minutes roughly, why only have service every 30 minutes? Do they seriously think that is enough service? Also do drivers get that many breaks with those runs because it seems like they could run service at least every 20 minutes for most of the day, 15 during rush hour. As for the B4 the service levels should be every 20 minutes, but this shows that they really wanted the service levels to be every 30 minutes for most of the day for years which explains why so many B4s would go MIA. I just hope they remain committed to providing these service levels and don't go pull buses because the service is anemic as it is on some lines and having MIA buses will mean waits up to an hour or more in some cases for a local bus which is ridiculous.

Update with source : http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=924

Recognizing the shifting transportation needs of New Yorkers, the MTA is boosting bus service throughout the five boroughs.

Beginning Sunday, January 6, bus customers will benefit from a varied combination of service additions and extensions on several routes citywide as outlined in the MTA’s Service Enhancement Plan, released in July, 2012.

About 50,000 customers will benefit from these service improvements that will restore some cuts made in 2010 while also filling gaps in service coverage in certain geographic areas or at certain times of day.

“We are here to provide mass transit service and that we are able to restore some earlier service cuts while at the same time extending service along several routes is great news for us to share,” said New York City Transit President

Thomas F. Prendergast. “These enhancements were all a result of listening to our customers and keeping close watch on changing travel trends.”

The enhancements will take effect on two dates.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 Service Restorations and Enhancements:

Bx13 New Extension from East 161st Street to Bronx Terminal Market (149th Street and River Avenue)

Bx34 Restore daytime weekend service

B4 Restore full-time service to Knapp Street/Voorhies Ave via Neptune Avenue, Sheepshead Bay Road, Emmons Ave/Shore Parkway

B24 Restore weekend service

B39 Restore daytime service between Williamsburg and Manhattan’s Lower East Side

B48 Restore extension from Atlantic Avenue to Prospect Park (BQ) Station

B57 Extend route from Carroll Gardens to Red Hook (Ikea) via Court Street, Lorraine Street and Otsego Street

B64 Restore extension from Cropsey Avenue to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue (DFNQ) Station via Harway Avenue

B69 Restore weekend service

M1 Restore weekend service from 106th Street to 8th Street

M9 Extend north terminal from 23rd Street to 29th Street via 1st and 2nd Avenues and extend south terminal from City Hall to Battery Park City via Warren Street/Murray Street and West Street

M21 Restore weekend service

Q24 Restore extension from Broadway Junction to Bushwick Avenue via Broadway

Q27 Provide new overnight service from Horace Harding Expressway to Cambria Heights via Springfield Blvd

Q30* Provide new branch to Queensborough Community College

Q36 Extend alternate trips from Jamaica Avenue to Little Neck via Little Neck Parkway (This restores weekday service along route of previous Q79 route.)

Q42* Restore midday service from Jamaica Center to St. Albans via Archer Avenue

On Sunday, January 20, we will implement the following service restorations and enhancements:

S76 Restore weekend service

S93* Extend route from entrance to College of Staten Island into campus area

X1 Add overnight express bus service from Eltingville to Manhattan via Hylan Blvd

X17 Extend route to Tottenville middays

*The Q30 and Q42 are weekday only, so they are being introduced on Monday, January 7. The S93 is also weekdays only, so it will be introduced on Tuesday, January 22.

In addition, NYC Transit is continuing to work with communities in order to develop new services to address transit needs in growing and changing neighborhoods. The following new services are planned for implementation later in 2013:

• New route, Bx46, which would operate between the South Bronx and western Hunts Point to be implemented in April 2013
  • New service connecting Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Vinegar Hill and the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
  • New Williamsburg-Greenpoint-Long Island City service
  • New service between East New York (New Lots Avenue 3 station) and Spring Creek
  • New north-south far Westside Manhattan route to serve the West Village, Chelsea and Hell’s Kitchen.
  • Select Bus Service on the Bx41 route along Webster Avenue

Customers may visit our website at www.mta.info to sign up for free email and text message alerts. In addition, customers may dial 511, the New York State travel information line, for MTA customer service and travel information. NYC Transit agents are available to provide assistance with your travel plans daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

-------------------------

This is a little odd, particularly the S76 and x1 as those two were not on the pick boards....the x17s however, was on the board...

Update with source : http://www.mta.info/...ries/?story=924

-------------------------

This is a little odd, particularly the S76 and x1 as those two were not on the pick boards....the x17s however, was on the board...

Yeah they must've just put this up... The X1 service was a bit hard to follow at first, but I think I figured it out... This is the first time an express bus has had full overnight service so my eyes have to make an adjustment... :lol: Nevertheless, I like it! I think it could be the start of something... :D I think I'll put up my X1 sign in celebration. :lol:

I just realized: With the S93, will CSI-bound buses have a stop just outside CSI as well? (In other words, right around here). Because otherwise, that means people living west of CSI are going to be forced to make the choice between waiting for the S62/92, or walk an even longer distance in a pedestrian-unfriendly environment). Not to mention that it makes it harder for people transferring from the S62/92 coming from the west (if they're going to the center of the campus, they'd be forced to take the loop bus around the whole campus instead of the S93 directly there).

I know Brooklyn-bound, they'll continue to make that stop just inside the loop (this one), but I want to know if they'll be making it SI-bound. That way, it benefits everybody, without screwing anybody over in the process. (I notice service out of CSI runs more frequently than it used to).

BTW, if anybody wants to know where the stop on the campus will be, it's at Building 1A.

I just checked the X17 routing. All I can say is Dear Lord! I thought they would have it go straight across Woodrow, then down Bloomingdale, Amboy, Craig, and Hylan. Instead, they make it go all the way up to Arthur Kill Road, come all the way back down, and on top of that, they're serving that park-and-ride in Pleasant Plains! Way too much meandering if you ask me. It takes almost as much time to get from Tottenville to Woodrow & Huguenot as it does to get from Woodrow & Huguenot to Richmond & Lamberts (and the amount of time to get from Lamberts Lane to Lower Manhattan). I mean damn.

I would've just had it go across Woodrow, down Bloomingdale, and then go to the park-and-ride, which they seem to be so eager to serve. (I wouldn't have had it go to Tottenville, because there's too much dead milage between Pleasant Plains & Tottenville, and not a whole lot of ridership in Tottenville). I mean, people have said that extending the bus to the Bricktown Mall or Park & Ride was too long, and they're doing something even longer.

BTW, if anybody wants to know the routing of that Hunts Point route (Bx46), here it is.

- It'd be interesting to see how many more riders will resort to taking the B57 (& how many that much less'll consider the B61) now that that it's set to serve Red Hook, to from Downtown Brooklyn..... Same interest on my part regarding the running of the Bx13 down to Gateway mall....

- x17 to Tottenville during off peak hrs. IMO is a waste of resources, and the MTA is gonna find that out QUICK... Never thought I'd live to see the day when we'd have a superroute in the form of an express bus....

- although slight, x1 addition is long overdue..... if the subway runs 24/7, why didn't the x1 :D

- Q30 addition is gonna alleviate a LOT of walking that goes on over there on/around HHE/Springfield... another move that's been long overdue....

- M9 up to Bellevue makes sense; how/where it currently terminates over on 23rd to me always seemed.... abrupt.

I just realized: With the S93, will CSI-bound buses have a stop just outside CSI as well?

Good question.

I don't know off-top; where is the 2nd to last stop on the current CSI bound S93 ?

The question I had/have regarding the S93 inside CSI is... will Brooklyn bound buses make that stop inside CSI (the current one, right as you're just inside the gate)?

Still think it was a mistake both scheduling the B39 headways so infrequently and choosing the M21 over the M8 for weekend service, but it'll be good to see a little extra service anyway.

I agree... I don't understand how they can justify running the B39 just every half hour ALL DAY. That's a bit ridiculous considering that according to the schedule the run takes 6 - 11 minutes at most, so why not have a bus every 15 - 20 minutes?

- x17 to Tottenville during off peak hrs. IMO is a waste of resources, and the MTA is gonna find that out QUICK... Never thought I'd live to see the day when we'd have a superroute in the form of an express bus....

Yeah but I think they realize that possibility... That's why they're only doing a few runs to and from Tottenville... The compromise is having the X1 24/7 because most folks would just drive to Tottenville from the Eltingville Transit Center and vice versa when there is no X22 around. I think it's a good idea because Staten Island needs to have less cars on the road where possible, and this seems like a nice test. During the week I could see that service being used. There is no Tottenville service during the weekends when traffic is lighter and fewer people would need express bus service from Tottenville, so them driving to the X1 isn't a big deal... The reason for this I think is because the South Shore is one the fastest growing parts of Staten Island and they've been complaining about a lack of service down there for a while. The (MTA) can say hey you asked for it and we gave it to you. The community can also come back and ask for the service to be tweaked where possible, but more importantly it's good that the (MTA) is trying to meet a growing demand for once.

Q30: Is there a frequency reduction east of Springfield Blvd? If so, can the reduced service handle the ridership? Eastern Queens is quite elastic, with many car-owners.

Q36: Looks good.

B39: Half hourly service will be a flop.

x17: The P&R should be a request-only stop.

B39: Half hourly service will be a flop.

It won't be a flop. You have a lot of disabled folks and elderly that will use it. The problem is not enough service IMO... I've used it myself back in the day and it was quite crowded. I don't see why that would change now, but maybe I'm missing something...

Looking forward to seeing how the first few days of the new Q36 go! Also, if the extension along Little Neck Pkwy is weekdays only, why didn't they put a star next to it on that updated (MTA) post?

Is anybody waiting for the bus yet?

LMAO! I have to laugh because I could see some idiots doing just that...

Well, not all signs were up at the time I posted that, but there may just have been some people waiting, because I did see people at one of the new bus stops. They could have been waiting for something else though.

- Q30 addition is gonna alleviate a LOT of walking that goes on over there on/around HHE/Springfield... another move that's been long overdue....

It's also going to increase traffic in/out of QCC, as if there aren't enough car accidents on that block as it is.

That's correct... January 6th...

---

Now, let me comment on some of the service restorations... I am a little puzzled with some of the service... If a trip on the B39 takes 6-11 minutes roughly, why only have service every 30 minutes? Do they seriously think that is enough service? Also do drivers get that many breaks with those runs because it seems like they could run service at least every 20 minutes for most of the day, 15 during rush hour. As for the B4 the service levels should be every 20 minutes, but this shows that they really wanted the service levels to be every 30 minutes for most of the day for years which explains why so many B4s would go MIA. I just hope they remain committed to providing these service levels and don't go pull buses because the service is anemic as it is on some lines and having MIA buses will mean waits up to an hour or more in some cases for a local bus which is ridiculous.

VG8 during rush hours no way in hell, does it take 6-11 minutes for now returned B39 to cross the Williamsburg Bridge. Bad job by the (MTA). At least weekdays, the new "B39" should have the same headways as it did pre June 2012. And also why end the service so early? It should run IMO at least until Midnight weekdays and 11pm Saturdays.

VG8 during rush hours no way in hell, does it take 6-11 minutes for now returned B39 to cross the Williamsburg Bridge. Bad job by the (MTA). At least weekdays, the new "B39" should have the same headways as it did pre June 2012. And also why end the service so early? It should run IMO at least until Midnight weekdays and 11pm Saturdays.

It's clear to me that they're trying to say TAKE THE SUBWAY, which to me is ridiculous. If people need the service, then they should provide it. And yeah I noticed that also... What is up with running it only until 21:00? Folks in that community should be demanding more B39 service and longer. The B4 IMO also should be bumped up a bit more than just every 30 minutes most of the day, but like I said in another thread, this is probably what they really wanted to run back in the day and that's why so many B4s went MIA. Now they can use the excuse of the financial crunch they're in as to why they can't provide more service.

May I also just throw in a contribution...

32861961.jpg

Another thing that irks me... I said a while ago that they've taken just about every bus that went to Union Square or directly by it and moved it somewhere... M1... via 5th Ave... M7... 6th & 14th st... M9... Moved... M6... Eliminated... Nice job (MTA) ...

Yeah but I think they realize that possibility... That's why they're only doing a few runs to and from Tottenville... The compromise is having the X1 24/7 because most folks would just drive to Tottenville from the Eltingville Transit Center and vice versa when there is no X22 around. I think it's a good idea because Staten Island needs to have less cars on the road where possible, and this seems like a nice test. During the week I could see that service being used. There is no Tottenville service during the weekends when traffic is lighter and fewer people would need express bus service from Tottenville, so them driving to the X1 isn't a big deal... The reason for this I think is because the South Shore is one the fastest growing parts of Staten Island and they've been complaining about a lack of service down there for a while. The (MTA) can say hey you asked for it and we gave it to you. The community can also come back and ask for the service to be tweaked where possible, but more importantly it's good that the (MTA) is trying to meet a growing demand for once.

Within this, you're not telling me anything I don't already realize...... Yeah it's good that they're trying to fill a void, but quite frankly I don't see that many people abandoning their cars to the point where sending midday x17c's to tottenville would be worth the price of admission overall..... I will not be at all surprised when this service expansion/extension ends up being rescinded come the middle of the year.....

It's also going to increase traffic in/out of QCC, as if there aren't enough car accidents on that block as it is.

Any extension somewhere increases traffic in w/e area in question.....

VG8 during rush hours no way in hell, does it take 6-11 minutes for now returned B39 to cross the Williamsburg Bridge.

LMAO.... I laughed at the B39 timetable/schedule also for that very reason !

Folks in that community should be demanding more B39 service and longer.

The question though is what folks.... Williamsburg folks? L.E.S. folks?

I expect the same general riderbase on the restored B39 as was on the last time the B39 was in service - xfers off other bus routes.....

Q30: Is there a frequency reduction east of Springfield Blvd? If so, can the reduced service handle the ridership? Eastern Queens is quite elastic, with many car-owners.

No kidding, that's probably why we don't have our own bus stop in front of Cardozo High, but the Q30 to Jamaica has two of them and the reason why I had to fight to board a bus everyday when school was over! The number of students going to Little Neck should have justified for a bus stop in front like the Q30 to Jamaica.

Still think it was a mistake both scheduling the B39 headways so infrequently....

The idea was probably to keep the cost down by having only one bus out there at a time.

...and choosing the M21 over the M8 for weekend service....

Probably a question of route spacing - the M14A/M14D are 3/4 mile away from the M21 but only 1/4 mile from the M8.

Within this, you're not telling me anything I don't already realize...... Yeah it's good that they're trying to fill a void, but quite frankly I don't see that many people abandoning their cars to the point where sending midday x17c's to tottenville would be worth the price of admission overall..... I will not be at all surprised when this service expansion/extension ends up being rescinded come the middle of the year.....

You're right but I can assure you that folks on the South Shore have been asking for more service for a long time now.... I personally think the service can work, but it may need some tweaking... I also don't believe that they think they're going to see tons of riders, but you don't start up a service and then can it. This service was something that Staten Island representatives pushed for and I can assure you of that because it's something that a lot of Staten Islanders complain about... A lack of express bus service and in the case of the South Shore, they do have a gripe because of the long commute. This also lets them see how much the South Shore really needs express bus service in that area and I also think it helps them to get an idea of where the X1 ridership is coming from because the one thing that they have clearly been trying to do is get people off of the X1, even though they've started it up 24/7. They want folks to use the variants as much as possible, which in most cases could be cheaper than running more X1s.

In any event, even with this extension, most transit experts would argue that the South Shore is still underserved in terms of transportation options. These buses are probably going to run out of Charleston anyway, so instead of just deadheading to the depot they can run down to Tottenville and then go to Charleston from there.

All the Staten Island changes are excellent. Bravo MTA!

24/7 x1 service is amazing, although the new X17 tottenville routing looks ridiculous. It would probably be faster to head over to the X1. The only way the new x17 would be beneficial is if it ran via Nj or the brooklyn hov lane because after spending all that time on the bus in Staten Island, the Gowanus expressway is probably going to be backed up as always. But is an excellent addition none the less.

Still think it was a mistake both scheduling the B39 headways so infrequently and choosing the M21 over the M8 for weekend service, but it'll be good to see a little extra service anyway.

you mean extra empty buses right? :lol: If merged with B24 part then yes more service will work but alone yeah right. But you raise a point though.

The idea was probably to keep the cost down by having only one bus out there at a time.

That maybe ok for later off peak (weekday evenings after 8pm and all day sundays) to run only 1 bus and thus every 30 minutes. However most of the day Monday-Fridays and Most of Saturdays, it should be (2) buses running every 15-20 minutes similar to pre June 2010.

The new "B39" already been cut by ending overnight serice.

Archived