R8 extended to newtown?

metsfan

I found this online a few minutes ago!

http://www.twp.newtown.pa.us/bos/2007/20070813minws.htm

What caught me is....

"The Planning Commission has recommended that a Township representative accompany the Traffic Engineer to the August 16 oral presentation meeting. Mrs. Goren said that she would be interested in attending and representing the Township. She asked that item #4 be looked at more carefully, as the cost estimate is $50,000,000. That cost could be reduced with use of dual mode locomotives. There is land near the Bypass zoned for railroad station and parking."

This means that for the first time in 25 years a serious effort is being undertaken to re-activate the currently unused (SEPTA)R8 line between fox chase and newtown.

I've looked at google earth countless times and have seen many places a new rail station would fit. I really hope something is done to restore this utterly historic line and make travel for everyone in this area so much easier.

- Andy

Since (SEPTA) doesn't own any diesels, I think they have no choice but to electrify the line.

That would be the best option, however they could simply purchase whatever freaky beastie dual mode (NJT) ends up getting.

- Andy

Archived