Redbirds at Transit Museum?

borednyorker157

Because the IRT track is at capacity. They don't even let you into the 3rd BRT car, and the diesel isn't even in view, and this is WITH the other money train car gone. Also, I went there today, and there was one.

Because the IRT track is at capacity. They don't even let you into the 3rd BRT car, and the diesel isn't even in view, and this is WITH the other money train car gone. Also, I went there today, and there was one.

they got too much stuff on that side now, it was better when the train of many colors was the last thing, but they got that gate car taking up a lot of space and hten they put radnom stuff at the end which pushes everything back.

I agree, they have too much stuff between the Caboose, the derby car, etc.

As far as when they are going to be put on display, the answer to that is the next time the R12/R15/R17/R33WF get taken out for a "fan trip". In my honest opinion, there is a chance that it may happen this summer, since there is a possibility of them running the TOMC on the Flushing Line for the Home Run Derby/All Star Game in July.

If that is the case, then, from what I heard, the R36 Preservation Corporation is going to try to include cars 9400, 9401 and maybe 9307 in the TOMC as well. If they are successful, then the 'potential' TOMC will include the following:

R12 5760

R15 6239

R17 6609

R33WF 9306

R33WF 9307

R36WF 9400 & 9401

So far, we have seven cars. To make a full 11-car train, they would need two more pairs of Redbirds, which can be 9010-9011, 9016-9017, 9068-9069, or 9206-9207. Out of these four sets, my prediction is that two of these will be used for the 'potential' TOMC, one set will be put in the museum (along with the other money train car), and one set will stay at 207 Street in order to move these R62s to and from Corona Yard for the SMS program.

As far as the Redbirds that used to be in the museum, it depends upon exactly which cars you are specifically referring to. Like I mentioned, some are being used to move the R62s from Corona Yard to 207 Street and vice versa for the R62 SMS program, some are on the garbage/work train, and some went to a museum in Maine.

As far as finding out about this 'potential' TOMC, the R36 Preservation Corporation is having a meeting with NYC Transit to discuss all of this in January. Shortly after the meeting is over and plans are finalized, I assume they will either share the information with us on this website or on their website, http://www.coronayar...36preservation/.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

As for adding more redbirds for preservation, I kinda doubt it, but if they are kept around for parts...

For the ASG, that would be great to have those cars run again, but if they can run a 4 car Low V for the Yankees special, then I think they can get away with a 4 car (maybe add 1 redbird pair to bump it to 6 cars) to Citifield.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the work cars to transfer the 62s, rather than museum cars?

I understand where you are coming from, however that's not going to happen because most of the work cars are not stored at 207 Street Yard. The museum cars were 'sitting' around at 207 Street for a while, and since they are compatible with both the A and B Division, they decided to use them.

If not all, but most of the work cars were stored at 207 Street and not put towards any other use, then I could say 'yes'.

The transit museum should be in a bigger station with 2 island platforms and 4 tracks (like Hoyt st.). This subway system being one of the largest in the world and with such deep history should have an epic display that covers all periods and have more room to fit more cars.

The transit museum should be in a bigger station with 2 island platforms and 4 tracks (like Hoyt st.). This subway system being one of the largest in the world and with such deep history should have an epic display that covers all periods and have more room to fit more cars.

Its been talked about to death already, they never will use Hoyt as a museum. Besides, there's only 2 open tracks there.

As for adding more redbirds for preservation, I kinda doubt it, but if they are kept around for parts...

For the ASG, that would be great to have those cars run again, but if they can run a 4 car Low V for the Yankees special, then I think they can get away with a 4 car (maybe add 1 redbird pair to bump it to 6 cars) to Citifield.

They actually have a lot more Redbirds that are preserved besides 9400-9401. They have a pair of R26/28/29/36 cars. Don't know the condition of R36 9542-9543. I do know the R26/28/29 pairs are in poor conidition, but can move under their own power as they have been used on work trains before. They are usually at Unionport along with some R36WF cars (the ones that were used on the last run of the Redbirds back in 2003).

how about 76 St in Ozone Park lol. But seriously we should be thankful that there is a museum with a wide variety of cars from over a long period.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the work cars to transfer the 62s, rather than museum cars?

since the main 4 are unable to run on fan trips (one of em has some issue), I guess they need to find some way to get them moving so the parts dont get messed up from sitting in one spot all the time.

how about 76 St in Ozone Park lol. But seriously we should be thankful that there is a museum with a wide variety of cars from over a long period.

I hear what you're saying. Yeah we should be thankful. I don't mean to sound ungratful but I left the transit museum last year wishing there was more to see. The cars they show do not cover all the variety the city had over decades. Where are the slants etc.? I did a lot of reading at nycsubway.org before going to the museum and felt like I got a lot more out of the web site than my visit to see things hands on. I went through all the cars on display in a very short amount of time. In my opinion, there is a lot missing there.

I miss the (R)(E)(D)(B)(1)(R)(D)(S), wish they were still in service for another 8 or 10 years. Oh well, I hope the display still stays permanent or so.

As much as I would love to agree with you by the late 1990s the cars were deteriorating (the acid bath that was suppose to remove the graffiti the 1980s apparently had after effects and those after effects really showed on the fleet of Redbirds as well as anything made of Carbon Steel or part Carbon Steel. Making matters worse the Redbirds had thinner steel compared to the R12-R22s).

Archived