Wassaic Revisited 12/24/12

Bracamonte

So today, I decided to visit Wassaic again since my last visit last summer. Does anyone know what points of interests are there in Wassaic? since I had to leave early. Also, this is the last time I'll be using my old camera as I'm getting a new one for christmas.

001-7.jpg

002-7.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

005-7.jpg

006-6.jpg

007-4.jpg

009-6.jpg

011-6.jpg

012-5.jpg

014-3.jpg

016-3.jpg

017-5.jpg

018-4.jpg

019-6.jpg

020-4.jpg

021-4.jpg

022-5.jpg

023-5.jpg

024-5.jpg

025-4.jpg

027-5.jpg

028-5.jpg

029-4.jpg

I've been there once, theres literally NOTHING there, at least nothing that you can walk to. The thing about Wassaic is the journey is the destination if that makes sense, the highlight of the trip is watching the scenery go by.

seriously that's all you can do I used to use that line for LOOP 8 before dutchess cut lines. god that place is empty. Ask the MNRR conductor for points of interest he will tell me some NOTHING HAHA :lol:

Well the town of Wassaic is a 15 minute walk from the train station, I dont know the logic of the Wassaic Station bring outside the town of Wassaic because there is an open space in Wassaic for trains to load within the town of Wassaic. Also I dont get the logic of terminating the Harlem Line short of Amenia, which is a town that's more active then Wassaic.

Compare

Amenia:

https://maps.google....1,62.97,,0,3.92

Wassaic:

https://maps.google....1,81.64,,0,0.15

Well the town of Wassaic is a 15 minute walk from the train station, I dont know the logic of the Wassaic Station bring outside the town of Wassaic because there is an open space in Wassaic for trains to load within the town of Wassaic. Also I dont get the logic of terminating the Harlem Line short of Amenia, which is a town that's more active then Wassaic.

Where's the open space in Wassaic you speak of? Is it "open" enough for a platform only or is there enough of an adjacent area for parking and other infrastructure needed. My best guess is it is where it is so there's enough room for support facilities and parking.

As far as Amenia, I'm sure there is a legitimate reason why it didn't go that far. Too long ago for me to know.

Even if one decided to walk the 15 minutes to go into "downtown" Wassaic, there is still nothing there worth seeing.

Where's the open space in Wassaic you speak of? Is it "open" enough for a platform only or is there enough of an adjacent area for parking and other infrastructure needed. My best guess is it is where it is so there's enough room for support facilities and parking.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004d1c7aaf93af0d0dc2&msa=0&ll=41.816745,-73.558402&spn=0.021557,0.051069

It shows where a new parking area would be, where it's accessed, and etc. The current Wassaic station would be stripped for parts that are usable for the new Wassaic Station (i.e Signage, fences, etc..)

As far as Amenia, I'm sure there is a legitimate reason why it didn't go that far. Too long ago for me to know.

Even if one decided to walk the 15 minutes to go into "downtown" Wassaic, there is still nothing there worth seeing.

The extention from Dover Plains to Wassaic was in 1997. Still it should've gone to much more urbanized Amenia, since Wassaic is in the middle of nowhere. The reason it wasn't extended to Amenia was because the rail trail was already there before it was extended. But it still could've continued via a different path avoid the way of te Rail Trail.

Whats sad is that Wassaic was actually an urban city (yes I said city) back in the 1920-1930s. Wonder why it wasnt kept that way

if its away from downtown they can build a big parking lot to go with it.

your kidding right that makes zero sense why make people drive to a station when you can have em walk within downtown. Let them use their cars for other things like going around dutchess and columbia. That is inconvenient and takes work.

Compare

Amenia:

https://maps.google....1,62.97,,0,3.92

Wassaic:

https://maps.google....1,81.64,,0,0.15

I don't get it either there is no logic actually. If they had sense it would go to cannan,ct

One thing to remember is the majority of people that utilize the station do not actually live with in Wassaic.

While your proposed parking makes sense for Wassaic specifically, you have to look at the big picture. For one, who owns the site of your proposed parking lot and platform? What would the NIMBYs say about it? At this point it's academic as it would not make sense spend the $$$ to move it.

When Southeast train station was built in 1980 (then Brewster North), there was nothing there as far as the shopping center, etc. The thing it had going for it is it was a big wide open space to put lots of parking.

The extention from Dover Plains to Wassaic was in 1997. Still it should've gone to much more urbanized Amenia, since Wassaic is in the middle of nowhere. The reason it wasn't extended to Amenia was because the rail trail was already there before it was extended. But it still could've continued via a different path avoid the way of te Rail Trail.

Whats sad is that Wassaic was actually an urban city (yes I said city) back in the 1920-1930s. Wonder why it wasnt kept that way

If it was such an urban city back then why didn't they extend it back in the 20s to Wassaic?

@Truckie: But still, they can easily send it up to Amenia. Not that far away and much more urban.

If it was such an urban city back then why didn't they extend it back in the 20s to Wassaic

Chatnam was where the farthest point on the Harlem Line was , besides the bankrupt New York Central ran the whole portion. It wasn't until Metro North that service there was discontinued, especially since most trains stopped there to bring cargo loads down to NYC ( New York Central) . That's why it became industrial, and it started urbanizing. Only urban portion of Wassaic that services is the town of Amenia. Wassaic is now a hamlet of Amenia compared to when Amenia was part of Wassaic when it was urban

Service orginally went to chatnam, but in 1972, service north of Dover Plains was discontinued. Only for service to return up to Wassaic in 2000, after proposals for some time to extend it back up again.

The HVRT group won't be happy if MNRR extends the line now over the Harlem River Valley Trail, even if they pay them the money the HVRT spent renovating that section

@Truckie: But still, they can easily send it up to Amenia. Not that far away and much more urban.

For one, I never said it couldn't be done. Why it wasn't done I don't know.

As far as how easy it is is something else. While it may be easy on paper, doesn't mean it's easy in reality. As Q23 already stated, HVRT owns the trail. They would have to purchase, lease or otherwise acquire the property for their use (even though it is technically owned by the state). Then there's the process of public hearings where NIMBYs will be putting in their two cents. As it is there are those that don't like the trains running to Wassaic as it is hence the reason train 999 terminates it's run @ CP177. The there's the cost involved in doing it. Metro North is already pressed for $$$. The urgency of extending the line to Armenia rates up there with getting the Beacon Line running again.

For one, I never said it couldn't be done. Why it wasn't done I don't know.

As far as how easy it is is something else. While it may be easy on paper, doesn't mean it's easy in reality. As Q23 already stated, HVRT owns the trail. They would have to purchase, lease or otherwise acquire the property for their use (even though it is technically owned by the state). Then there's the process of public hearings where NIMBYs will be putting in their two cents. As it is there are those that don't like the trains running to Wassaic as it is hence the reason train 999 terminates it's run @ CP177. The there's the cost involved in doing it. Metro North is already pressed for $$$. The urgency of extending the line to Armenia rates up there with getting the Beacon Line running again.

The beacon line will create a crosstown service taking ppl to job corridors on rte 376 and to CT for job centers in danbury and transfers to white plains trains and business parks near harlem line also if it went to NH there will be ppl commuting to bridgeport AND NH and stamford ALL on this train at once transfers to amtrak for new london and ect. This line has alot of potential. Heck Amtrak can use it to have trains from NE corridor east of new london to use this to provide a 1 seat ride to albany!!!! Trains will be able to cross to reach the cities on the empire corridor and beyond that beacon line can serve several trip generators all at once.

The beacon line will create a crosstown service taking ppl to job corridors on rte 376 and to CT for job centers in danbury and transfers to white plains trains and business parks near harlem line also if it went to NH there will be ppl commuting to bridgeport AND NH and stamford ALL on this train at once transfers to amtrak for new london and ect. This line has alot of potential. Heck Amtrak can use it to have trains from NE corridor east of new london to use this to provide a 1 seat ride to albany!!!! Trains will be able to cross to reach the cities on the empire corridor and beyond that beacon line can serve several trip generators all at once.

Sure it has potential once you fix it up. This includes replacing rail, adding crossing protection, a few sidings so more than one train could be run at a time and oh yeah... $$$$$. Additionally, Metro North doesn't even own the whole line to Danbury. The section in CT is owned by the Housatonic Railroad.

There are current ventures that Metro North got it self into that are less than profitable (New Haven Line service to Giants stadium), they aren't going to get involved with this any time soon.

Screw those NIMBY'S. The train used to go up there before so they don't need to whine. They can work out the schedules with the people living there. Just make sure they're okay with the schedule and maybe terminate some trains in SE. Just extending back up to Amenia would help a lot and if is as urban as you guys say then I see a lot of potential customers thus extra money flow for the MNRR.

Sure it has potential once you fix it up. This includes replacing rail, adding crossing protection, a few sidings so more than one train could be run at a time and oh yeah... $$$$$. Additionally, Metro North doesn't even own the whole line to Danbury. The section in CT is owned by the Housatonic Railroad.

There are current ventures that Metro North got it self into that are less than profitable (New Haven Line service to Giants stadium), they aren't going to get involved with this any time soon.

That line will have more potential than it seems cause it links to so many lines.

Archived