"Could Not" or "Could" Care Less?

CenSin

I highly doubt he was serious with this topic. He knows full well that people aren't going to change their habits because of one thread, And even if they did, there are still a million errors people would make, like saying they're "nauseous" instead of "nauseated" and other mistakes like that, or using the wrong homophone for "Your/you're" (which, BTW, you notice that the mighty grammar Nazi used "homonym" instead of "homophone", because a homonym needs to have the same spelling).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and now you're going to make some stupid comment about "Oh, and you nitpick as well" when I don't, and you're not exactly innocent of it either. (And notice that for all this supposed "nitpicking" I do, I'm not the one who created this thread).

What are you even quoting me for???? I don't care. Just leave me the hell alone. God damn!!

^ Oh sh!t, trouble in the countryside!

Ha! You know you're showing your age with that whole placing of the comma inside the quotation marks.... I personally hate it that way, but there's an old school translator that I work with that insists that she does it that way so me being the project manager I tolerate it. <_< Suffice it to say you two are the only ones I know that use it that way. :lol:

I mean, I cut you a pass since you've lived in Europe where British English puts the punctuation outside of the quotation mark, but just being a pedant, the correct way around here is to put it inside of the quotation mark. Although if somebody corrects on you that, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to beat them with a British textbook for the next hour.

I mean, I cut you a pass since you've lived in Europe where British English puts the punctuation outside of the quotation mark, but just being a pedant, the correct way around here is to put it inside of the quotation mark. Although if somebody corrects on you that, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to beat them with a British textbook for the next hour.

Yeah it's one of those preference things. I've seen both used. I personally prefer outside of the quotation mark...

Ha! You know you're showing your age with that whole placing of the comma inside the quotation marks.... I personally hate it that way, but there's an old school translator that I work with that insists that she does it that way so me being the project manager I tolerate it. <_< Suffice it to say you two are the only ones I know that use it that way. :lol:

Say that to my typing instructor from high school who insisted on two spaces after every sentence…

I highly doubt he was serious with this topic. He knows full well that people aren't going to change their habits because of one thread, And even if they did, there are still a million errors people would make, like saying they're "nauseous" instead of "nauseated" and other mistakes like that, or using the wrong homophone for "Your/you're" (which, BTW, you notice that the mighty grammar Nazi used "homonym" instead of "homophone", because a homonym needs to have the same spelling).

That, and to make people pause for a moment, though my preliminary intention was to produce something with the same effect (≠ affect) as the poster quoted below:

heil-spellcheck.jpg

You will also find it most ironic that "isle" was originally a mispelling.

The word island comes from Middle English iland, from Old English igland (from ig, similarly meaning 'island' when used independently, and -land carrying its contemporary meaning; cf. Dutch eiland ("island"), German Eiland ("small island")). However, the spelling of the word was modified in the 15th century due to an incorrect association with the etymologically unrelated Old French loanword isle, which itself comes from the Latin word insula. Old English ig is actually a cognate of Latin aqua (water).

…as is "aisle" which was a mistake carried over from old French. The French have since corrected that miscorrection, but we haven't:

aisle (n.) dictionary.gif

late 14c., ele, "lateral division of a church (usually separated by a row of pillars), from Old French ele "wing (of a bird or an army), side of a ship" (12c., Modern French aile), from Latin ala, related to axilla "wing, upper arm, armpit; wing of an army," from PIE *aks- "axis" (see axis), via a suffixed form *aks-la-. The root meaning in "turning" connects it with axle and axis.

Confused 15c. with unrelated ile "island" (perhaps from notion of a "detached" part of a church), and so it took an -s- when isle did, c.1700; by 1750 it had acquired an a-, on the model of French cognate aile. The word also was confused with alley, which gave it the sense of "passage between rows of pews or seats" (1731), which was thence extended to railway cars, theaters, etc.

Unlike some other languages, English has no regulatory body, so correct usage is really determined by a popularity contest. Even proper English isn't resistant to change from colloquial speakers.

Archived