Snowy Surprises!

Astoria Line

For you to say that the 7400s being used occasionally on the Bx23 and Q50 is gonna cause them to be worn down prematurely is a bit of an overreaction. NJT uses their MCIs on all kinds of local lines and for the most part their equipment is in good shape. A bus is a bus is a bus.....as long as it gets the people where they need to go then use it. The cruisers are no more special any other bus in the fleet.....personally I think the TA will end up using them more and more on certain local lines to improve their utilization.

Some nice shots there Danny, I was expecting some more snow though :(

lol... Don't get pissed with me for telling things like it is... I've seen numerous express buses put on local bus lines that were torn apart and they didn't just get that way by themselves. The old saying a few spoil the batch for everyone holds true...

The problem is that you are comparing Co-Op City with Brooklyn and Staten Island.....that's like comparing London to Los Angeles and St. Louis.....

For you to say that the 7400s being used occasionally on the Bx23 and Q50 is gonna cause them to be worn down prematurely is a bit of an overreaction. NJT uses their MCIs on all kinds of local lines and for the most part their equipment is in good shape. A bus is a bus is a bus.....as long as it gets the people where they need to go then use it. The cruisers are no more special any other bus in the fleet.....personally I think the TA will end up using them more and more on certain local lines to improve their utilization.

Having been on their MCIs along their local lines, I can cosign with this.....

Also, I was on a 7400 on the Bx23 once, bus looked to be in pretty good shape....and they've been seeing service in and out of the line for the past...2 months? Overreaction and over-exaggeration is in play....

Plus, it's freaking Eastchester. They take extremely good care of their MCI fleet....

NJT is a whole different ball game... I'm not overreacting... I'm simply stating what has happened in the past when the (MTA) has used express bus fleet on local bus lines.... They had to take all of the RTSs that were used on express buses previously and have all of those buses re-done and have hard seats put in because the seats were literally torn apart and anyone from Ulmer Park depot can attest to this. I know because I used plenty of those buses when they had the soft seats as they had them on the B3, B4 and B64 and those seats literally became a hazard with the coils and such sticking out of the them.

NJT is a whole different ball game... I'm not overreacting... I'm simply stating what has happened in the past when the (MTA) has used express bus fleet on local bus lines.... They had to take all of the RTSs that were used on express buses previously and have all of those buses re-done and have hard seats put in because the seats were literally torn apart and anyone from Ulmer Park depot can attest to this. I know because I used plenty of those buses when they had the soft seats as they had them on the B3, B4 and B64 and those seats literally became a hazard with the coils and such sticking out of the them.

That's Ulmer Park Depot. Of course their buses would get torn up so thats an extremely moot point <_<......All of their buses get torn up from that depot from people and school children along with the environments they go through.

Eastchester and Co-Op City as a whole is an entirely different place and completely different maintenance levels as those buses have yet to be torn up and they've been in and out of the Bx23/Q50 for the past 3 months.

Plus, along with the seats being "torn apart", they replaced the seats because those RTSs were no longer being used on the Express routes, as they were kicked off of the lines by the MCIs...there were also passenger complaints about the space in the buses.

You can't say only the local riders tear up the equipment because those 2200s on Staten Island have been vandalized quite a bit and to date they have never been on a local run.

Missed this post, but I have to say that those 2200s are in farrrrrr better shape than they were at Yukon. Operators from Castleton(the ones I've spoken to) love those buses for the fact that they barely have any defects and they take off on a dime now! When they came from Yukon, 90% of them had to be taken OOS due to a ton of defects and they were vandalized and torn up worse than they were now. Castleton has been keeping up on their express fleet but lately, they're local fleet has taken a tumble because of the whole Meredith Depot situation.

Now with Meredith being reopened, they'll get back to their regular shape.

That's Ulmer Park Depot. Of course their buses would get torn up so thats an extremely moot point <_<......All of their buses get torn up from that depot from people and school children along with the environments they go through.

Eastchester and Co-Op City as a whole is an entirely different place and completely different maintenance levels as those buses have yet to be torn up and they've been in and out of the Bx23/Q50 for the past 3 months.

Plus, along with the seats being "torn apart", they replaced the seats because those RTSs were no longer being used on the Express routes, as they were kicked off of the lines by the MCIs...there were also passenger complaints about the space in the buses.

I'll give you the Eastchester's maintenance... As for Co-Op city and the Bx23/Q50, only time will tell. That's why I said NJT is a different animal... As you said different environment. Nevertheless, I still think it would be more productive and practical to have local buses on those lines, as it is a pain standing and getting on and off with just one door as you have pointed out.

Missed this post, but I have to say that those 2200s are in farrrrrr better shape than they were at Yukon. Operators from Castleton(the ones I've spoken to) love those buses for the fact that they barely have any defects and they take off on a dime now! When they came from Yukon, 90% of them had to be taken OOS due to a ton of defects.

I wouldn't go too crazy praising Castleton... They've improved from the old days but they still could do much better... If I were to compare Castleton's 22XXs to those of Spring Creek, I'd say Castleton's 22XXs look far worse... As far as I'm concerned, Yukon & Castleton are very much in the same boat, though the maintenance of Castleton has improved mainly due to having newer fleet.

LOL... It is true though that Yukon usually sends Castleton its garbage MCIs.... :lol:

I take it you've never been on the 161,166 or 190. You wouldn't be saying that if you ridden those lines.

I generally ride the 162 and 163 on NJT which are both express bus lines.

I'll give you the Eastchester's maintenance... As for Co-Op city and the Bx23/Q50, only time will tell. That's why I said NJT is a different animal... As you said different environment. Nevertheless, I still think it would be more productive and practical to have local buses on those lines, as it is a pain standing and getting on and off with just one door as you have pointed out.

I wouldn't go too crazy praising Castleton... They've improved from the old days but they still could do much better... If I were to compare Castleton's 22XXs to those of Spring Creek, I'd say Castleton's 22XXs look far worse... As far as I'm concerned, Yukon & Castleton are very much in the same boat, though the maintenance of Castleton has improved mainly due to having newer fleet.

I wouldn't say that, it's mostly because they lost a huge chunk of their express fleet along with the Orion Vs and NGs that got transferred to Charleston. They have a lot less buses than they had before.

I wouldn't say that, it's mostly because they lost a huge chunk of their express fleet along with the Orion Vs and NGs that got transferred to buses. They have a lot less buses than they had before.

That's also true... They've always complained in the past that they simply didn't have enough room to maintain their buses because of overcrowding. A part of me wonders now if they're hindered at all by having such an old facility and if they use Charleston to help repair any of their buses since they have the newest depot on the island (Charleston that is).

The same people that ride the Bx23 are also the same people that use the BxM7 to and from Manhattan...I myself dont see the harm, its only one in blue moon.....I have yet to see an MCI on the Bx23 and im in Co Op regularly.....Plus you know this wont be Perm, soon as there are more O5s to kick over from GH or KB everything will be back to norm....

ECH wont use RTSs from storage they've fallen in line with other Bx division depots.....NO RTSs

Archived