Woman Killed by x1 on 59th St.

MHV9218

From NY1:

Police are investigating after a woman was hit and killed by an MTA bus [Prevost 2471 2401] in Manhattan Wednesday night.

Transit officials say the bus hit the woman shortly before 8:30 p.m. near Seventh Avenue and 59th Street and pinned her under one of the tires.

EMS crews worked to free the 33-year-old and take her to the hospital, but it was too late.

She was pronounced dead at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital. Her identity has not been released.

No criminality is suspected.

Very sad story to hear, not to mention 33 is extremely young to lose a life. Have to see what details come out, but knowing that intersection, it's very possible that nobody was at fault.

No details yet, but I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often as sad as it is... People think it's cute to run in front of buses and risk getting crushed just to feel as if they've achieved something big... Either that or they stand in the street with their headphones oblivious to the oncoming traffic.

No details yet, but I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often as sad as it is... People think it's cute to run in front of buses and risk getting crushed just to feel as if they've achieved something big... Either that or they stand in the street with their headphones oblivious to the oncoming traffic.

that is soo true. in Bay Ridge its the same thing, B16s and S53 be coming into stops and they have to honk their way through in order for people to get out the street. Or when im on the B1 going down 86st. Bus drivers be dodging people who run out in the open. I can imagine how it in in the city will lots more people.

Do you have a source for this info?

If it was near 7th Avenue and the bus was making a left turn then the driver shouldn't have been going that fast. The woman was pinned under one of the tires, which makes me think that she was crossing 7th Avenue and got hit by the turning bus. If that's the case, then that means that the driver either failed to properly look before going or was going too fast to safely stop.

If the woman was jaywalking across 59th Street and got hit then she's an idiot.

We can't jump to conclusions of who to blame until all the details are out.

If I did this, there's lots of medias has stories.

Google

https://www.google.c...c.1.SGo_b4KFrfU

Bing

http://www.bing.com/...=8-13&sp=-1&sk=

Dogpile

http://www.dogpile.c... hit by bus&ql=

Yahoo

http://search.yahoo....-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Ask Jeeves

http://www.ask.com/w...0&o=10181&l=dir

Also, that traffic light at 59th St/7th Av is dangerous because both directions from 59th St has green light at same time.

If I was charge of NYCDOT Traffic Light, I will fix traffic signal and make better improvement to prevent accident.

That was 2401, and that light is super retarded and needs better timing (also needs people with common sense to look both ways and watch whats coming at them). The light sequence is a hit-or-miss and can be too short. I've seen M104s almost colliding with other vehicles at that intersection especially those that try to beat the light.

According to the picture, it appears that there is an X1 bus pulled over to the right side of 7th Avenue just after 59th Street.

My suspicions from before seem to be right. This leads me to believe that the bus made a left turn onto 7th Avenue and collided with a pedestrian crossing the street. I assume that the bus and pedestrian had the light at the same time (correct me if I'm wrong), which would mean that the pedestrian had the right of way and the bus has to yield to her regardless if she was looking or not.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions until all the details are released, but based on my own experiences, there are plenty of drivers that drive fast to beat the light, and I've been cut off crossing York Avenue numerous times by fast turning M79 and M86 buses, even though I had the right of way and what they did was technically illegal. (I swear one of those times if I would've definitely been hit if I hadn't been paying attention)

That was 2401, and that light is super retarded and needs better timing (also needs people with common sense to look both ways and watch whats coming at them). The light sequence is a hit-or-miss and can be too short. I've seen M104s almost colliding with other vehicles at that intersection especially those that try to beat the light.

You're right. Sheesh, I both shot that bus earlier in the day and by chance I saw it disappear from BusTime last night on 7th Ave right around that time.

I have a feeling some people are blaming the driver even though its not his fault. People choose to walk out while the light is still green so they all have death wishes. That's why place like Time Square, Midtown, Flushing and Jamaica are the way they are today. You can't turn this and that way and its mainly because of injuries and deaths.

I know the driver involved in the accident. Absolutely must suck to see him going through this right now.

In addition, the cab knocked her into the path of the bus. Rain and snow may have played a part causing her to slide on the ground. And get ready for this one...I also heard the cab fled the scene. If they find the cab driver responsible for the accident then he's in huge trouble.

2401 is now out of service pending the investigation.

I know the driver involved in the accident. Absolutely must suck to see him going through this right now.

In addition, the cab knocked her into the path of the bus. Rain and snow may have played a part causing her to slide on the ground. And get ready for this one...I also heard the cab fled the scene. If they find the cab driver responsible for the accident then he's in huge trouble.

2401 is now out of service pending the investigation.

Do you have a source for that information about a cab?

Surely there must be at least one surveillance or traffic camera focused on that intersection to find out what really happened. If it was a cab that hit her and fled then the driver's done for. In the city, if you hit or kill someone with your car and remain on the scene you most likely will not be hit with any criminal charges as long as you're sober and weren't on the phone. Fleeing an accident is the dumbest thing you can do, and how can you live with yourself knowing that you killed someone and aren't taking responsibility?

Do you have a source for that information about a cab?

Surely there must be at least one surveillance or traffic camera focused on that intersection to find out what really happened. If it was a cab that hit her and fled then the driver's done for. In the city, if you hit or kill someone with your car and remain on the scene you most likely will not be hit with any criminal charges as long as you're sober and weren't on the phone. Fleeing an accident is the dumbest thing you can do, and how can you live with yourself knowing that you killed someone and aren't taking responsibility?

It was in the Daily News

I have a feeling some people are blaming the driver even though its not his fault. People choose to walk out while the light is still green so they all have death wishes. That's why place like Time Square, Midtown, Flushing and Jamaica are the way they are today. You can't turn this and that way and its mainly because of injuries and deaths.

The bus was turning. That means the driver and the pedestrian most likely both had the light at the same time. A driver making a turn is required by law to yield to pedestrians legally crossing. It appears that this driver failed to yield.

Archived