You are not responsible for yourself or your actions

Joe

Delays litter long road to vehicle rearview rules

New US vehicle standards to help prevent tragic 'backing accidents' face years of delays

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- In the private hell of a mother's grief, the sounds come back to Judy Neiman. The SUV door slamming. The slight bump as she backed up in the bank parking lot. The emergency room doctor's sobs as he said her 9-year-old daughter Sydnee, who previously had survived four open heart surgeries, would not make it this time.

Her own cries of: How could I have missed seeing her?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delays-litter-long-road-vehicle-102153726.html

Absolutely amazing. It's the governments' fault that this woman killed her own daughter. It's always someone elses' fault. Instead of bitching about how the government safety net failed to protect her daughter, she should advocate that drivers pay attention to WTF is going on around them.

Oh boy, once I read this line I almost blew a gasket:

"They have to do something, because I've read about it happening to other people. I read about it and I said, 'I would die if it happens to me,'" Neiman says. "Then it did happen to me."

No, you moron. "THEY" do not have to do anything. YOU failed as a parent. YOU failed as a driver. YOU killed your daughter through your own inattentiveness. This was not like you walked outside and a bird shat on you. YOU made the mistake.

That's always how it works though, innit? Some person does some unbelievably stupid thing and then the entire country has some new rules to follow as a result. Just be happy that all they want is better tech as opposed to a law against backing up or some garbage like that...

Or sanctions against "non-smart" vehicles. My car is a 2004...it doesn't have any of this fancy nonsense. Yet, oddly enough, I haven't backed over any children. I wonder why...perhaps it's because I pay attention to what's going on?

The Escalade pictured in the story really gives it all away. She's one of those moms that is simply too busy to care for their children.

People taking responsibility for their own actions nowadays has become even more increasingly rare. Also screw backup senors and rear view cameras. I don't know what's so hard about turning you body around to see what's behind you as you back up. There are other ways too like using your rear view mirrors that all cars have or shit maybe even honking the horn. Just some things to throw out there.

Or we advocate that idiots like her take the bus. Wait, then she'd get thrown back by the torque/trip and blame the bus/bus company for it.

Normally I advocate for families to use public transit, but I'm kind of glad her sue-happy ass isn't on the bus.

But yes, as a transit board, I'm suprised it is rarely mentioned how many of these fatilities wouldn't occur if more chose to use public transit. Of course it isn't always a viable option, but it should be considered whenever possible.

My stance on the subject at hand, simply she neglected to do an overview of the interior of her vehicle, thus missing all of her passengers(ie. her daughter), and ultimately killing her. She is at fault and no one else. If she cannot physically see over her vehicle then she should not be operating it, end of story.

Negligence & Irresponsibility at its finest..... Stupid is as stupid does & the life of her own damn child is lost as a result of it.....

And I don't even wanna get started on the driving habits of people out here nowadays.....

Next thing, we'll have people blaming their parents for their own existence to try to evade responsibility.....

The rampant blame shifting out of ppl. nowadays is right..... Always some excuse.... It's one reason I try to keep the amt. of acquaintances & friends to a minimum.....

Normally I advocate for families to use public transit, but I'm kind of glad her sue-happy ass isn't on the bus.

But yes, as a transit board, I'm suprised it is rarely mentioned how many of these fatilities wouldn't occur if more chose to use public transit. Of course it isn't always a viable option, but it should be considered whenever possible.

My stance on the subject at hand, simply she neglected to do an overview of the interior of her vehicle, thus missing all of her passengers(ie. her daughter), and ultimately killing her. She is at fault and no one else. If she cannot physically see over her vehicle then she should not be operating it, end of story.

if they're stupid enough to run over their own children, im sure they will find a way to injure themselves in some other stupid fashion on the bus or train as well.

Or we advocate that idiots like her take the bus. Wait, then she'd get thrown back by the torque/trip and blame the bus/bus company for it.

That may work but what if she lives in an area where service is complete SHIT? Another is to ban cars older than 2005 but I doubt that may happen then again I could be wrong.

Backup sensors and rear-view cameras make lazy drivers.

Get used to it cause soon those will be the only cars available.

yes I agree but some people CAN'T use transit even if they wanted to look at your So cal transit network it's an atrocity the express buses are very important and never get taken seriously.

if they're stupid enough to run over their own children, im sure they will find a way to injure themselves in some other stupid fashion on the bus or train as well.

I think I implyed that enough, but I agree.

yes I agree but some people CAN'T use transit even if they wanted to look at your So cal transit network it's an atrocity the express buses are very important and never get taken seriously.

As bad as it is, California is considered one of the better states for transit. Kind of sad if you think about it.

I like how she is photographed standing there with the picture of her daugher infront of the SUV with a nice little sticker that says her daughters name. She should have a sticker on the part of the bumper that hit the kid with and arrorw pointing to it. Would you sell yours if this SUV was to blame or just keep it for good memories? Nah this bird brained idiot is to blame. Who pulls out without knowing if their kid is in the car or where the kid is standing? This lady disgusts me, and by reading the comments in that article she digusts alot of people because she refuses to take responsibility for her lack of common sense and poor driving skills and point the finger anywhere else.

That may work but what if she lives in an area where service is complete SHIT? Another is to ban cars older than 2005 but I doubt that may happen then again I could be wrong.

Get used to it cause soon those will be the only cars available.

what does a transit system have to do with this case? It could've happened anywhere where the parent has to drive. Not everyone is forced to take the bus.

Whenever something like this happens, all we hear is that we need another rule or law to stop it in the future.

What we all really have to do is to get out of the way and watch out for politicians running to hold press conferences with cameras rolling and the usual blather from them that we need another rule or something and the media covering the stupid thing. We then hope that the politicians and the media find another cause celebre as soon as possible and leave us alone to make our own decisions and be responsible for our own actions.

it's not mentioned becuase day in and day out, stuff like this happenes on transit. Woman sees train in station, runs to board it, only it's on the opposite track and she and her child end up face first on the invert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh0twUYYBfw

I've been on the transit boards for 8 years now. I can not begin to count the number of 12-9s that have been mentioned on subchat.

it's not mentioned becuase day in and day out, stuff like this happenes on transit. Woman sees train in station, runs to board it, only it's on the opposite track and she and her child end up face first on the invert.

I've been on the transit boards for 8 years now. I can not begin to count the number of 12-9s that have been mentioned on subchat.

Alright, I'll agree with you on that part.

Archived