You are not responsible for yourself or your actions

Joe

I'm curious, to go a bit off topic--why don't you like ABS?

Sometimes driver aids make a car feel boring. Some people like a car with guts. A car that needs to be tamed. I would be happy with a car like that

Anyway, you should NEVER back out of a driveway assuming there is nothing behind you if you were too lazy to back up into it rather than pull straight in. That's what your horn is for, and making sure the area is CLEAR before proceeding

Sometimes driver aids make a car feel boring. Some people like a car with guts. A car that needs to be tamed. I would be happy with a car like that

I prefer a car with the latest safety features. Not to depend on, but to aid me. New York drivers are insane to begin with, so I take any extra help I can get.

I prefer a car with the latest safety features. Not to depend on, but to aid me. New York drivers are insane to begin with, so I take any extra help I can get.

Someone said this earlier, but these features will make the driver lazy, perhaps reckless behind the wheel. I'd rather an older fashion car. I guess you can say I'm a bit old school for someone who was born in the 90s. I still use flipphones too.

I'm curious, to go a bit off topic--why don't you like ABS?

I absolutely hate the way it feels. I learned how to drive in a car without it and ever since I just really dislike it. In certain conditions, it can be more trouble than it's worth.

I absolutely hate the way it feels. I learned how to drive in a car without it and ever since I just really dislike it. In certain conditions, it can be more trouble than it's worth.

Gotcha. I had ABS kick on a few times when it shouldn't have in my old car, and it was definitely a pain to drive. But I did learn to drive with it, so I guess I'm just used to the feel.

I can't say I'm opposed to ABS as for the majority of instances it doesn't really affect stopping distance much, but the number of technologies we throw in cars these days is insane. I don't even like automatics, I don't feel like I'm driving when I'm in them.

Anyway, you should NEVER back out of a driveway assuming there is nothing behind you if you were too lazy to back up into it rather than pull straight in. That's what your horn is for, and making sure the area is CLEAR before proceeding

When I park in a mall/shopping center lot I always back into a spot rather than pull straight in, as long as it's legal to do so. There's nothing worse than backing out of a spot when you're in a spot surrounded by SUVs or pickups. I've noticed, especially in the NY Metro area, that the mall owners have increased the amount of parking spaces by shrinking the individual spots and the lanes between the rows . As a result there are more fender-benders because of the decreased visibility.In NC the individual parking spots are wider and so are the lanes for the most part so I feel safer even if I must back out of a spot. The week before Christmas I parked at the Smith Haven Mall. Massapequa and South Shore Malls, and the Tanger Outlet in Riverhead.. Although the Tanger Outlet was crowded the layout of the parking lot was 100x better than at the malls. There was room to see and manuever whereas in the malls I had to watch for cars,pedestrians, and the lowlifes who empty their carts and push them behind a parked car even when someone is sitting in the parked car. I saw this happen twice when I was parked in the South Shore Mall. The second time the driver crushed the cart so just imagine what would happen if a toddler was behind that car. In a case like that who is at fault ? The driver of the car,which was running the whole time or the person who left the cart ? I know it's the driver's responsibility to be aware of his surroundings before moving but in a case like that I don't know what to say. Carry on.

I agree about the narrow parking lot lines. Gateway mall's lines are very narrow and as is the space for driving up and down the aisles (you can barely turn a long caravan or suv there). If I'm there, I park towards the far end so no one is near me. Ideally, they should have the double line where it's like 1 foot b/w them so it allows room (since some pos a holes feels like swinging their car doors open and slamming into another person's car). This shit makes me want to 'key' the pos's car.

Oh I hear ya about the shopping carts. One time I was waiting in the car while my dad was in the store and some ahole just let the shopping cart roll right into the side of my car and he didn't even bother to look back and drove off. I swear if it wasn't a crime to retaliate, I'd have thrown a brick at the person's car (that's how pissed off I get at people being d*ckwads about other people's cars).

As for parking spots, the Costco in Brooklyn on 2nd and 3rd avs is just among the worst. There's no way that current lot can handle all the people going in. It was fine when they had an annex parking lot, but that was taken some years back and the situation has only gotten worse since. Either they need to build a small 3 story garage over the current lot or they need to find another nearby location for parking. It's just a madhouse on weekends.

In a packed parking lot, I don't go head first in parking spaces either.... It's too helpless a feeling to back into a roadway of a parking lot, when you got some idiot ready to debo (bullguard) you for the parking spot you're getting ready to vacate, or some other parking spot in your vicinity.... Vans & SUV's (as Trainmaster mentioned) adjacent to you is another reason I don't bother......

Usually, I find areas where there's few cars around.... Areas ways away from the actual mall (I don't mind walking), where it don't matter if you back in or dive in the spot forward b/c there's not a damn thing around you...... People leaving shopping carts out & about, lol... I don't park anywhere near shopping cart (parking lot) storage areas, for the simple fact that I see how reckless the employees responsible sling those shopping carts around in the vicinity - especially in parking lots for supermarkets !!

If I'm going to a mall where buses enter mall property, I don't park no where near the course/routing the bus takes (I pretty much know as such for every mall in NY & NJ; this is another advantage that routefanning gives me).... I have several reasons for that, but this thread has gone o/t enough.....

Personally, i'd estimate that most people who own SUVs would be better suited with a wagon. Too bad they have a bit of a stigma in this country.

That said, I still love my wagon. Plenty of storage space and isn't a rolling blind spot. Drives just like a sedan.

In a packed parking lot, I don't go head first in parking spaces either.... It's too helpless a feeling to back into a roadway of a parking lot, when you got some idiot ready to debo (bullguard) you for the parking spot you're getting ready to vacate, or some other parking spot in your vicinity.... Vans & SUV's (as Trainmaster mentioned) adjacent to you is another reason I don't bother......

Usually, I find areas where there's few cars around.... Areas ways away from the actual mall (I don't mind walking), where it don't matter if you back in or dive in the spot forward b/c there's not a damn thing around you...... People leaving shopping carts out & about, lol... I don't park anywhere near shopping cart (parking lot) storage areas, for the simple fact that I see how reckless the employees responsible sling those shopping carts around in the vicinity - especially in parking lots for supermarkets !!

If I'm going to a mall where buses enter mall property, I don't park no where near the course/routing the bus takes (I pretty much know as such for every mall in NY & NJ; this is another advantage that routefanning gives me).... I have several reasons for that, but this thread has gone o/t enough.....

That whole parking lot thing is so true... I heard countless stories of that happening on Staten Island too and it made me cringe every time I thought about getting a car here. I couldn't imagine having a nice European car with a huge gash in it from some idiot and their shopping cart, even if it was just a Volkswagen which was what I was consider getting simply because I liked the SUVs... They've got a great European design and are compact but still decent enough for a guy like me in terms of leg room. I considered an Audi but I hate the design of their SUV... The A8 series though is something to marvel at.

I think once I buy an apartment, I would consider getting a car but for now I really don't see the point. I can walk to everything I need and have plenty of transportation.

That's all? I thought they were supposed to be more reliable because it's 'german'.

Personally, i'd estimate that most people who own SUVs would be better suited with a wagon. Too bad they have a bit of a stigma in this country.

That said, I still love my wagon. Plenty of storage space and isn't a rolling blind spot. Drives just like a sedan.

Dodge magnum looked neat as it was basically a wagon version of the charger. I wonder why that 'disappeared'. Wagons can still be good if modeled on/molded from an existing sedan.

You have to pay to play the German game. Personally I would stay away from high mileage Audis and VWs.

The Magnum was a sharp looking car. Surprising for a Dodge. I'll be hard-pressed to get rid of my Subaru though.

Moral of the whole story: stupid is as stupid does.

As for the proposed regulations, all I can do is shake my head in disapproval. I dislike the design of most modern cars to begin with, and if you think about it, the government sort of crossed the line when they mandated that 2012-model cars onward be equipped with some BS device called "electronic stability control". Makes me wonder which is worse- a 2013 Toyota Prius with backup sensors or a 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue with Lean Burn...

Archived