MTA Considers Partition on Subway Platforms

Cait Sith

Before installing platforms doors on old lines of Paris metro, the RATP did a trial in two stations of the line 13 (Saint-Lazare and Invalides) in mid 2006, to chose the model, they would use to equip the lines.

There were three models in test.

The test lasted 6 months and this was two year later that first platforms doors were installed at Chatillion-Montrouge (southern terminal stop of line 13).
The model chosen is taller than the doors that were on test.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno if his post was a reason to be pro platform doors, and they can all bring up the positives about it, but it all comes down to the costs. Unless the fed is footing the bill 100%, then these should not be installed here on the MTA's dime.

One advantage to them not being able to agree on a budget ;)

wider doors would actually help alot and allow for a higher margin for error thus allowing manuel operated trains to use them. Due to this trains don't need to be so slow you are correct also this improves on-time performance thus reducing wait times especially for lines like the (R) which means better connections and more ridership.

Perhaps some sort of alternating overlapping panels, where any panel can open. This would kill two birds with one stone. Not lining up perfectly, as well, as different door positions between the 60 and 75 ft cars.

it need those platform doors or partition.  The (MTA) and media was warning the public but it not working. 

The outdoors platform doors will be like indoors. There is an outdoors platform door in Las Vegas at Luxor hotel. I find it strange to have it there but it show the safety.

I think we can agree that the big negative that would affect us, as railfans, would be the difficulty in getting our camera shots.

I'm also thinking of how platform doors would be installed on the elevated stations.

The MRT in Singapore has them on elevated stations.

I want to know how on Earth the MTA will get the money to make this a reality. In addition, those doors can easily be damaged and vandalized. The incidents of people being run over by trains are rare. This proposal is just silly.
Easily damaged and vandalized... not if you produce them to very high standards to be as damage-proof as a R142...

I think we can agree that the big negative that would affect us, as railfans, would be the difficulty in getting our camera shots.

I'm also thinking of how platform doors would be installed on the elevated stations.

"APG"...it allows the airflows between outside and the platform

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/MRT_ZhongxiaoFuxingStation-GateDoor_Closed.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/KwfPlat2_2.jpg

however...the biggest challenge for MTA to install APG on the elevated stations is the structures of those stations.......

either PSD or APG are heavy :unsure:

"APG"...it allows the airflows between outside and the platform

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/MRT_ZhongxiaoFuxingStation-GateDoor_Closed.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/KwfPlat2_2.jpg

however...the biggest challenge for MTA to install APG on the elevated stations is the structures of those stations.......

either PSD or APG are heavy :unsure:

This is off-topic but I think APEDs (as what I call for APGS), would be suitable for elevated stations. On underground stations PEDs, but it would be better if the PEDs are installed in all stations. As in full height - like Lai King station. 

This is off-topic but I think APEDs (as what I call for APGS), would be suitable for elevated stations. On underground stations PEDs, but it would be better if the PEDs are installed in all stations. As in full height - like Lai King station

That is an air-conditioned station...how can we install air-conditioned system on those old elevated stations in NYC.... :wacko:

Hit the nail on the head. Everybody here is just annoyed they'll have less clear shots...bummer, yeah. Not as much of a bummer as some crazy guy shoving you in front of your beloved R32-R42-Rwhathaveyou that you were about to get a photo of. 

Hit the nail on the head. Everybody here is just annoyed they'll have less clear shots...bummer, yeah. Not as much of a bummer as some crazy guy shoving you in front of your beloved R32-R42-Rwhathaveyou that you were about to get a photo of. 

I'll take my chances, if you stand near the wall until the train is in the station and keep away from the crazies, youre chances of being pushed are a LOT lower.

So should we have screen doors on the streets, too, to prevent some crazy guy from pushing us into traffic??

I used to adamantly support the installation of these doors in the system but the reasons given by the forumers here have changed my mind.

1. Being pushed into traffic is a lot less dangerous than being pushed into the tracks.

2. Being pushed into traffic is a lot less likely than being pushed into the tracks.

And, not to sound cold, but in many ways still quite important:

3. Being pushed into traffic delays a lot fewer people than being pushed into the tracks.

its still a hazard, and maybe the person pushed doesn't get killed but it could cause a multi car pileup with someone swerving out of the way and hitting someone which starts a whole chain reaction accident.

Either way its not like these things happen that commonly anyway, out of millions of riders, a small fraction of them (and many do it purposely) wind up getting run over by a train. I think the media is just overhyping these accidents down in the Subway because its the next thing to get people scared about now that the gun violence thing has run its course, making it sound like everyones getting run over down there.

So should we have screen doors on the streets, too, to prevent some crazy guy from pushing us into traffic??

I used to adamantly support the installation of these doors in the system but the reasons given by the forumers here have changed my mind.

do you think local traffics on the streets require that much distance to stop as like railway vehicles?

Because taking photos in the subway is what life is all about. Grown the F up and get another hobby.

And you are the only authority on what people should and shouldn't do for a hobby? Just because your a C/R you don't have the right to tell anyone to grow the eff up. You didn't even write it correctly.... smh

Because taking photos in the subway is what life is all about. Grown the F up and get another hobby.

I have several hobbies for your information, and if anyone or anything was threatening to shut one of em down you better believe I am going to speak out against it.

Screen doors are only possible on the IRT... its impossible on the B Div, even if all the cars were one length, we'd still be having problems since the doors are positioned differently.

The only thing I can see happening to solve this which EVERYONE would hate and which would cause service delays would have a slow timer entering each station... (Which im completly against that). That would sure bring down the death toll, but its still not completly effective since someone still could be pushed infront of an oncoming train.

I really don't see any solution to this, there are also things that can get someone killed with platform screen doors, such as on an overcrowded train one tries to fit on the train, the doors close on the train and the platform and the person gets stuck inbetween them. Then we'd have people complain about the screen doors...

Archived