Local Vs. Express Vs. Signaling

MrTransitMan

I'm kind of confused and wanted to learn. I often read on here and have seen personally, that a train would have to wait in a station to let another train go by. I know the I believe the 30 second wait rule in each station and signaling. I have the "The Tracks of New York" book? How does all this work, what's the reason? I'm not too familiar with signals. I appreciate and thanks.

What 30 second wait rule? If you have a red signal you STOP AND STAY until the aspect changes. If you see a train in front of you, there is no need to call it in, but otherwise you immediately call in being stuck behind a red signal and get instructions from RCC/tower,

I meant the hold time at stations or opening and closing doors I honestly forgot what the number was so I said 30 seconds.

I'm confused by the question, but I'm assuming you're asking about a local train waiting at an express station for the local to arrive or vice/versa.

There are "Holding Lights", three orange lights by the platform that will tell the conductor to hold the doors open to wait for the express. I believe they are only activated by a dispatcher or tower, who can see an express is approaching on his indicator boards, but they might be sometimes activated by automatic towers.

On the other hand, if you're referring to where two lines merge to share trackage, that's another story. Queens-bound, for instance, the M and the R merge to the local tracks just past queens plaza. Sometimes an M will pull into the station, but wait for an R to pull in and leave before leaving itself.

This is a deliberate move done by a dispatcher or tower operator. Usually the train that is allowed to go first is late or the line is backed up. By doing this, they can prevent having to run the late train express to catch up.

Again, not sure which one you were asking about, but hope that lends some clarity.

Thanks for assisting! I'm guess I'm trying to learn the operations of the system. When I read things on here such as a train crawling, a train being held to let another go by, makes me a little confused but more interested in learning. I said before I have a track book of the system I'm sure many of you have,, I'm a little lost on how the signals work, what each means, etc. If a train gets switched to express to get caught up how does It get back on schedule and the local stops missed being every train is back to back in one long line?

Thanks for assisting! I'm guess I'm trying to learn the operations of the system. When I read things on here such as a train crawling, a train being held to let another go by, makes me a little confused but more interested in learning. I said before I have a track book of the system I'm sure many of you have,, I'm a little lost on how the signals work, what each means, etc. If a train gets switched to express to get caught up how does It get back on schedule and the local stops missed being every train is back to back in one long line?

The signals can be a little daunting to someone who doesn't have experience with railroad signaling. nycsubway.org has a pretty decent guide on what all the signals mean, although it may not be the most accessible to the uninitiated. Nonetheless, I'd start there and see if the aspects of these signals start to become clear. (Once you get that pun, you're learning)

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_A_Complete_Guide

Archived