Train Assignments

MrTransitMan

A train-set is a group of cars to make the train, I was wondering how the trains were assigned to their runs? Then I was asking being cars are grouped as pairs, how are they grouped together to make a train-set or is It random?

I know what a trainset now there is a car assignment listing..

Here try this site see if that helps...

http://www.thejoekorner.com/indexfrm.html

I think he's asking how the trains are 'built' in the yard prior to being dispatched. As for the second question, I still don't understand.

They arent built in the yards whatever is road worthy us used and linked up. There is no other way of saying it.

I apologize let me try and give examples.

1) Trains are all laid up at Jamaica Yard, How are those trains assigned to each run to go out and start their day in service? Train 1 goes out as an E run 101, Train 2 goes out as an F run 101, etc?

2) Cars 4720-4721, 4704-4705, 4732-4733, 4710-4711, 4743-4744 make up a train-set. How are those pairs grouped together to make a train? Being cars are set up as A-B-B-A for example, You never see a train in order: 4700-4701, 4702-4703, 4704-4705, 4706-4707, 4708-4709.

Hope this helps!

1. There is a daily put-in sheet which is prepared by the yard dispatcher which tells the put-in crew which track to go to and what their north and south # should be.

2. Train sets are in singles, pairs, 4 or 5 car sets. Multiple sets get put together to make a full length train (2x5, 4x2, 5x2 etc, and in the case of the 7 there's often a 5 car set followed by 6 singles) so each of those sets will have a different sequence of numbers.

Are there any put-ins that don't take place at a yard, if so is there a sheet for them too? So your saying its the choice of the yard dispatcher? I'm a little lost with the car sets regards to singles, multiples, pairs etc?

I don't think much thought is put into it, in terms of what numbers to match up. It's whatever is easiest to put together.

What they mean by car sets is most car types are PERMANENTLY coupled into sets of cars.

R-160's come in permanently joined 4 or 5 car sets. Two 4 car sets are then joined together to make a J, L, or M train, which are 8 cars long

Two 5 car sets might be joined together to make a 10 car train for the E, F, N, Q... Rarely the R but you get the point.

Make sense?

Every day is different. I guess he just wants us to tell him how to be a TSS and a TD in five minutes each. And no, none of us TA workers are going to start taking information like that (e.g. City Hall lower put-in sheet for (N) and (Q) and uploading it here).

I would really be interested in looking at these sheets is there a name for them, does it change every day or just every pick?

NOT happening sorry RTO eyes only..

Every day is different. I guess he just wants us to tell him how to be a TSS and a TD in five minutes each. And no, none of us TA workers are going to start taking information like that (e.g. City Hall lower put-in sheet for (N) and (Q) and uploading it here).

Hes living in a dream world if he thinks that oh wait....

Like if any of us here will share that info with him...

I would really be interested in looking at these sheets is there a name for them, does it change every day or just every pick?

Come work for RTO and you'll get to see the put-in sheets every morning. They vary based on which sets are road-worthy and which ones are being held back. It's just a list of the crew #, the track the train is located on, the north and south motor, and the scheduled interval that train will go into service.

Yes the 2 and 5 are a shared fleet. An effort is made to return the 5 to Unionport and the 2 to 239 each night but that's not always feasible.

Does mileage play any role on which sets are used?

No. Its not like there's a odometer sittin on the yard dispatcher desk, any mileage considerations comes from above RTO.

Thanks, what's the difference with train register sheets?

Seriously?

Archived