B33...discontinued

B34...part of the B1 & B64

B40...now top half of the B47

B50...also merged with the B5 to become the B82

B53...became Q54 when Jamaica Center opened

B55, B56, B58, & B59...became Q55, Q56, Q58, & Q59 Jamaica Center opened

B66...part of the B57 now

B72...renamed Q72

B78...bottom half of the B47 (from Rutland Rd south)

B84...part of the B6

B86...was proposed at one point, but it's literally what the B1 is now

B88...one of those "Culture Bus Loops"

If you are interested in the complete history (it is only up to early 1970"s, however it is the best available as it lists complete route history and garages)) check the Bernard Linder articles on Brooklyn as well as as Queens from the Motor Bus Society available at the Queens Library Long Island Division located on Merrick Boulevard across from the Jamaica Bus Terminal.

One correction: The B/1 was merged with the B/34 in November 1978 and the B/1 and B/64 changed terminals in June 2010.

Alright, I think we've never had a B27, 28, 32, 73, 76, 79, 80, 81, 85, 86, 87, 89-99

Not exactly.

I remember a B27/29 Meeker Marcy, so I guess they were once separate routes. When the B24 was added, it became the B24/29, I believe and there was a B24/29 shuttle. Then the 29 was dropped and the shuttle was renumbered B30. That's what I remember.

I don't know what the B28 was, but I'm pretty sure it must have existed once. The B32 was called the Marine Parkway route but actually ran on Flatbush Avenue from Avenue U to the end of Flatbush Avenue. It might have run over the Marine Parkway Bridge when it opened. It was previously called the B2 and renumbered to B32 when the current B2 started in 1936.

I believe the B73 was the Nortons Point shuttle before it was renumbered to B36S.

Many route numbers were used more than once such as 2 (Marine Parkway), 10 in Bensonhurst / Flatbush, and what is now the B15. 15 current route and the Manhattan Bridge route; B21 one in Bensonhurst, then again in Brighton Beach/Sheepshead Bay; 43 Holy Cross Shuttle and current route; 47 Tompkins Av, and curent route; 50 McDonald trolley and Flatlands Ave; 80 1964 Worlds fair from Flatbush/Nostrand; 81 1964 World's Fair from Eastern Parkway/Utica; 82 Bergen Beach Shuttle and current route; 85 Army Base shuttle which ran only for a few months from 59th Street Station to the Brooklyn Army Terminal; B86 proposed but never operated (was put on digital signs); not aware of 87 but there might have been one since 88 was used for the Culture Loop.

89-99 never used.

Also, there were several with suffixes. B1, and former B21 in Sheepshead Bay were originally the B1a, B1b, and B1c and I believe B31 was B3a. There was also a B77 shuttle. When Kings Plaza was built in 1971, before the B46 was extended from Avenue N to Avenue U, there was an unnumbered shuttle operating for three years from Avenue N to Avenue U.

B5...became part of the B82

B10...renumbered to B15

B18...merged with B13

B19...discontinued in the 80s

B21...replaced with the B1, B36, and B4

B22...became the Q24 when Jamaica Center opened

B29...became part of the B24

B30...discontinued in 1995

B33...discontinued

B34...part of the B1 & B64

B40...now top half of the B47

B50...also merged with the B5 to become the B82

B53...became Q54 when Jamaica Center opened

B55, B56, B58, & B59...became Q55, Q56, Q58, & Q59 Jamaica Center opened

B66...part of the B57 now

B72...renamed Q72

B78...bottom half of the B47 (from Rutland Rd south)

B84...part of the B6

B86...was proposed at one point, but it's literally what the B1 is now

B88...one of those "Culture Bus Loops"

I think you meant B57 took over the B75, not B66. Although you are partially correct because the B66 was the Court Street route which was eliminated when Smith and Court became one-way, so only the 75 remained.

I think you meant B57 took over the B75, not B66. Although you are partially correct because the B66 was the Court Street route which was eliminated when Smith and Court became one-way, so only the 75 remained.

Well I left out the 75 since that was cut by the 57

The B72 was originally the BMT North Beach Line. When it eventually became a bus line, following abandonment of the trolley line, it was originally named the B72 while under operation by New York City Transit, until 1961, when Triboro Coach Corporation took over that line, and renumbered it into the present-day Q72.

The B53, B55-B56, B58-B59, were also descendants of streetcar lines formerly operated by the BMT, which were also eventually renumbered into the Q54-Q56, Q58-Q59, repsectively on December 11, 1988 after the Jamaica Center/Parsons-Archer Station opened.

Some of these lines were descendants of former streetcar lines.

http://en.wikipedia....nes_in_Brooklyn

I remember riding the B40 bus back in the early 2000s (circa spring 2002) before it got cut. I also remember seeing B78 buses in 2001. Did the B78 run out of Ulmer Park? I think I saw their depot sticker on RTS's. I know the B40 was Flatbush.

78 was out of flatbush.... 40 was out of ENY

Oh, my bad.

nah, no prollem.

I remember the 78 like it was yesterday.... the current 47 is still plagued w/ problems (service wise) that the old 78 had.... one unreliable route indeed.... Anyway, once upon a time, the current 47 was out of flatbush before it moved over to grand.... basically, today's 47 is an extended 78 (which used to end @ sutter/rutland (3).... The 40 though AFAIK was always out of ENY....

I loved that B40. I used to go to PS40 right there on Ralph & Marion and the bus stop was right in front of the school lol. I still remember the route it took

south

From WBP, Broadway > Ralph > East NY Av > Mother Gaston > Liberty Av > Georgia Av > Atlantic Av > Pennsylvania Av > last top was on Liberty & Penn

The old bus stop street markings (the concrete slabs) is still there to this day

nah, no prollem.

I remember the 78 like it was yesterday.... the current 47 is still plagued w/ problems (service wise) that the old 78 had.... one unreliable route indeed.... Anyway, once upon a time, the current 47 was out of flatbush before it moved over to grand.... basically, today's 47 is an extended 78 (which used to end @ sutter/rutland (3).... The 40 though AFAIK was always out of ENY....

I remember when the B78 started operation I believe in 1966. I was all excited that there was an entirely new bus route in the neighborhood, but very disappointed the first time I rode it to find out there were no free transfers to it so I had to walk all the way from Remsen Avenue and Rutland Road to Linden Blvd instead of being able to take the B17 and transferring. Wouldn't think of paying two fares.

Archived