MetroNorth proposes increased service levels for Riverdale during off-peak

Via Garibaldi 8

Public Hearings microphone_small.jpg

Proposed Changes in Levels of Service

MTA Metro-North Railroad will hold a public hearing on proposed changes in levels of service below for implementation in 2013.

• Implement half-hourly service at most weekday off-peak and weekend times at Spuyten Duyvil, Riverdale, and Irvington Stations on the Hudson Line.
  • Increase service frequency of Hudson Rail Link feeder buses at most weekday off-peak times to meet proposed new half-hourly trains at Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale Stations.

Please note: other service adjustments are proposed that also affect the operation of commuter rail service on Metro-North Railroad. Although these proposed changes do not require public hearings, they are described in the additional informational material at right.

Time & Place of the Hearings

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The hearing begins at 5 p.m. (Registration begins at 4:30 p.m.)

Riverdale YM-YWHA, Multi-Purpose Room

5625 Arlington Avenue, Riverdale, NY 10471

Directions

By Rail: Metro-North Railroad Hudson Line to Riverdale Station, then Hudson Rail Link bus to Arlington Avenue and West 256th Street.

By Subway: 1.png to 231 St then Bx7 or Bx10 bus to West 256th Street, walk west on West 256th Street to Arlington Avenue, turn right, YM-YWHA is on the left.

By Bus: BxM1, BxM2 or BxM18 from Manhattan to Riverdale. From Riverdale, or from the Bronx, Bx7 or Bx10 bus to West 256th Street, walk west on West 256th Street to Arlington Ave., turn right, location is on the left.

The public hearing location is accessible to the mobility impaired. An interpreter for hearing impaired people will be available upon advance request. Registration to speak will be open until 6 PM on the date of the hearing. Oral testimony is limited to 3 minutes for each speaker.

To register in advance to speak at the hearing, for more information, or to submit comments in writing, click on links in right column, send a letter to MTA Government Affairs, 347 Madison Ave, 5th floor, New York, NY 10017, or call 718-521-3333. Deaf/hearing impaired customers should call 711 for relay services, and then ask to be connected to 718-521-3333 to speak with an agent.

Source: http://mta.info/mta/news/hearings/

... why? Those are local stations, figuratively speaking.

Because both stations are well used in Riverdale and the extra service is needed. Also, Riverdale has a few affluent private colleges and also a few attractions like Wave Hill that would justify the off-peak service. If anything they should provide a few more rush-hour trains here and there... MNRR ridership continues to be a record levels even though we're in a recession so the demand is there and will continue to be since the Hudson Line serves mainly affluent areas (i.e. the Spuyten Duyvil & Riverdale stations in Riverdale, NY and many stops in Westchester, NY). That of course doesn't apply to at least two stops in the Bronx (i.e. Morris Heights and University Heights which are two of the poorest neighborhoods in the country let alone the city) but other than that for the most part, the fares can be paid for without a problem.

And local stations aren't used that much because ...?

To be honest those two stops would help to justify off-peak service along the Hudson Line even more. During the rush hour, it is those two stops where the overcrowding often begins, so those two stops should certainly benefit from increased service, albeit during off-peak hours, especially seeing how many Riverdalians can't even get a seat when they get on most of the time. Aside from that while the most of Riverdale is suburban in feel and look, some of it is quite densely populated so having so many co-ops and condos is the perfect market to sell MetroNorth to. They would be foolish not to offer the service to Riverdalians because since many of them are ex-Manhattanites from the Upper East Side and Upper West Side, they have no problem using public transportation. This also applies to the less dense area of Fieldston as well.

In short the market is there based on the demographics so it's more a question of why not offer the service to Riverdale...

It's about time, I don't see why MNRR doesn't have around the clock service like its sister RR.

I can assure you that there will be a push to get extended service for the Hudson line, particularly for Riverdale to run later into the night. Service until 02:00 is simply not enough and they can spare two more hourly trains after that to run from Grand Central until 04:00. They would still have time for cleaning the stations.

The last inbound carries 10 passengers on weekdays, 27 on Saturdays, and 13 on Sundays. Last outbound is 56 weekday/282 Saturday/41 Sunday.

Nevertheless, I think MNR should run hourly local service between 12:30AM and 5AM (yes, I know for the current 12:30-2AM passengers it's a cut) to Croton (POU connection), Mt Kisco, and NHV.

I can assure you that there will be a push to get extended service for the Hudson line, particularly for Riverdale to run later into the night. Service until 02:00 is simply not enough and they can spare two more hourly trains after that to run from Grand Central until 04:00. They would still have time for cleaning the stations.

VG8 you still dont know much about the Hudson Line. Come April when the Poughkeepsie/Upper Hudson Line trains run non stop between 125/GCT and Croton Harmon 24/7, there more options for Lower Hudson trains.

VG8 you realize Hudson riders in say Ossising or Tarrytown may complain about adding a stop at Riverdale. Yet for minority neighborhoods in another post you say the priority is for suburan riders. VG8 looking out for himself lol. I thought he only cared about Manhattan express buses?

I think it could be an issue since Marble Hill is already the Bronx "express' stop. Plus during the baseball season so is Yankee Stadium. Clairfy yourself VG8.

PS at this point, even getting a 3amish GCT departure on all three MNRR lines would be great.

The last inbound carries 10 passengers on weekdays, 27 on Saturdays, and 13 on Sundays. Last outbound is 56 weekday/282 Saturday/41 Sunday.

Nevertheless, I think MNR should run hourly local service between 12:30AM and 5AM (yes, I know for the current 12:30-2AM passengers it's a cut) to Croton (POU connection), Mt Kisco, and NHV.

I think we dont need hourly service between 2-5am. Just add a 3amish "local" on all three branches and call it a day for now. The LIRR overnight service is about every 90 minute-2 hours headways(about every hour between Penn and Jamaica.)

PS Amtrak if you run a Harlem line train to Mt Kisco you might as run it to Southeast/Brewster.

Because both stations are well used in Riverdale and the extra service is needed. Also, Riverdale has a few affluent private colleges and also a few attractions like Wave Hill that would justify the off-peak service. If anything they should provide a few more rush-hour trains here and there... MNRR ridership continues to be a record levels even though we're in a recession so the demand is there and will continue to be since the Hudson Line serves mainly affluent areas (i.e. the Spuyten Duyvil & Riverdale stations in the Bronx and many stops in Westchester, NY). That of course doesn't apply to at least two stops in the Bronx (i.e. Morris Heights and University Heights which are two of the poorest neighborhoods in the country let alone the city) but other than that for the most part, the fares can be paid for without a problem.

Jesus dude.

I think we dont need hourly service between 2-5am. Just add a 3amish "local" on all three branches and call it a day for now. The LIRR overnight service is about every 90 minute-2 hours headways(about every hour between Penn and Jamaica.)

PS Amtrak if you run a Harlem line train to Mt Kisco you might as run it to Southeast/Brewster.

True...how about 1AM, 2:30AM, and 3:30AM departures? (the local-express setup on weeknights and Sundays is probably overkill)

What does Harlem Line ridership look like between Mt Kisco and Southeast during the off peak?

VG8 you still dont know much about the Hudson Line. Come April when the Poughkeepsie/Upper Hudson Line trains run non stop between 125/GCT and Croton Harmon 24/7, there more options for Lower Hudson trains.

VG8 you realize Hudson riders in say Ossising or Tarrytown may complain about adding a stop at Riverdale. Yet for minority neighborhoods in another post you say the priority is for suburan riders. VG8 looking out for himself lol. I thought he only cared about Manhattan express buses?

I think it could be an issue since Marble Hill is already the Bronx "express' stop. Plus during the baseball season so is Yankee Stadium. Clairfy yourself VG8.

PS at this point, even getting a 3amish GCT departure on all three MNRR lines would be great.

#1 the (MTA) has proposed this because as I said before both the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations are well used. #2 Riverdale does not have a subway and Riverdalians that can't use MetroNorth are forced to take the local bus to the (1) train which is a LONG commute. #3, Riverdale is connected to Westchester just as much as it is connected to Manhattan, so the idea of folks in Westchester "objecting" to Riverdalians getting the service that they need is ridiculous. I'm sure plenty of folks in Westchester send their kids to private colleges in Riverdale and having MetroNorth make those stops during off peak would help tremendously. Aside from that the ridership that would come from Riverdale as a whole (North Riverdale, Fieldston, Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil/South Riverdale) would certainly justify having those stops be served during off peak as they currently are every hour.

Fernando Ferrer and Charles Mordeler are both on the (MTA) Board and are both Riverdale residents and Ferrer uses MetroNorth daily so he's well aware of the service needs for Riverdale and can justify this service expansion, so what exactly is there for me to understand about MetroNorth?? Riverdale may be dense in some areas, but it certainly has far more in common with Westchester in terms of its suburban feel and affluence than it does with the urban and poor Bronx neighborhoods of Morris Heights and University Heights. Whereas those two neighborhoods are poor and have fewer riders on MetroNorth, there is an actual market for MetroNorth in Riverdale and MetroNorth can benefit moreso from Riverdale than those two stops in the Bronx. As for Marble Hill, I consider that a Manhattan stop since Marble Hill is at the tip of Manhattan. and is technically part of Manhattan, though it is sometimes associated with being part of the Bronx. It's on the borderline so it's understandable.

Oh one other thing... Morris Heighs and University Heights have subways near by that provide express service so unless they're going to Westchester they don't have to depend on MetroNorth the same way that Riverdale does.

Jesus dude.

I don't know why you changed my post for.... There's Riverdale, NY and Bronx, NY... It's not a big deal... Riverdalians have been doing it for years as it's considered to be a borough within a borough. Get used to it because it isn't changing anytime soon. At least Riverdalians say Riverdale, NY and not "NoMA" (North of Manhattan). The realtors tried to use that but it didn't stick. <_< Thank God.

True...how about 1AM, 2:30AM, and 3:30AM departures?

I actually like that idea... A 03:30 train that is It's close enough to 04:00 and gets the job done... They should however keep the 01:00 and 02:00 as is.

On the Morris Heights and Unversity Heights stations, i only agree that it should have *less service* i.e bypass after 11pm daily and become part time stations. However both stations should not close. MNRR already has couple of part time stations such as Melrose in the Bronx and in Putnam County on the Upper Hudson(Poughkeepsie line) you have Manitou and Breakneck Ridge which is weather permitting only open on weekends.

Because both stations are well used in Riverdale and the extra service is needed. Also, Riverdale has a few affluent private colleges and also a few attractions like Wave Hill that would justify the off-peak service. If anything they should provide a few more rush-hour trains here and there... MNRR ridership continues to be a record levels even though we're in a recession so the demand is there and will continue to be since the Hudson Line serves mainly affluent areas (i.e. the Spuyten Duyvil & Riverdale stations in Riverdale, NY and many stops in Westchester, NY). That of course doesn't apply to at least two stops in the Bronx (i.e. Morris Heights and University Heights which are two of the poorest neighborhoods in the country let alone the city) but other than that for the most part, the fares can be paid for without a problem.

It's only a matter of time before those stations get cut they won't be missed anyway. You do realize VG8 this spells DOOM for your beloved express bus? Expect BXM1/2 ridership to PLUMMET FAST!!!!! If this keeps up ridership on some BXM lines near MNRR will take a nosedive so epic you will wonder where did all the riders go. Get used to using MNRR more often buddy.

shortline don't underestimate ridership between westchester and the bronx. I know a few who commute from rockland using rush hr TZX to tarrytown then MNRR to riverdale VG8 is right here. 24/7?? what you mean as in all trains become express non-stop OR do they gain service and a later service span? VG8 is NOT the only one doing the dance several westchester and riverdale folk will be doing cartwheels once they hear of this news I think they deserve it remember MNRR is ADDING more semi express trains. Prepare to see alot less service on BXM1 cause trust me they will bail once they get fed up enough with the harlem river traffic.

If it was up to me there would be no melrose or tremont those stations would have been abandoned long ago along with those 2 lightly used hudson line ones.

facepalm @qj. :o The BXM 1/2 is a separte "apples and oranges" issue. Being fair, many riders in BXM 1/2 area live a long distance from the Northwest Bronx stations like Riverdale. Thus there more than enough weekend riders on BXM 1/2 to continue.

Plus i dont the (MTA) will expand the shuttle bus serice to weekends as well.

It's only a matter of time before those stations get cut they won't be missed anyway. You do realize VG8 this spells DOOM for your beloved express bus? Expect BXM1/2 ridership to PLUMMET FAST!!!!! If this keeps up ridership on some BXM lines near MNRR will take a nosedive so epic you will wonder where did all the riders go. Get used to using MNRR more often buddy.

shortline don't underestimate ridership between westchester and the bronx. I know a few who commute from rockland using rush hr TZX to tarrytown then MNRR to riverdale VG8 is right here. 24/7?? what you mean as in all trains become express non-stop OR do they gain service and a later service span? VG8 is NOT the only one doing the dance several westchester and riverdale folk will be doing cartwheels once they hear of this news I think they deserve it remember MNRR is ADDING more semi express trains. Prepare to see alot less service on BXM1 cause trust me they will bail once they get fed up enough with the harlem river traffic.

facepalm @qj. :o The BXM 1/2 is a separte "apples and oranges" issue. Being fair, many riders in BXM 1/2 area live a long distance from the Northwest Bronx stations like Riverdale. Thus there more than enough weekend riders on BXM 1/2 to continue.

Plus i dont the (MTA) will expand the shuttle bus serice to weekends as well.

Unlike parts of Queens that have seen their LIRR service cut back, the difference with Riverdale is the MetroNorth stations are not close by and there isn't a lot of parking particularly at the Spuyten Duyvil station so that means folks have to take the shuttle bus to reach the MetroNorth stations. When you factor that in then the train ride, it is still 40 - 45 minutes to Grand Central and if someone is going below 42nd street, that means TWO transfers... The shuttle bus to MetroNorth and then another bus or subway. The express bus offers a one seat ride and often times can be faster than the MetroNorth set up. This is why express bus ridership in Riverdale will continue to hold because people realize this. I don't see people suddenly running to use MetroNorth just because service is now every 30 minutes because the express buses run every 15 minutes during the day. I heard a guy say that MetroNorth is only good for folks who work around there because for someone going east or west of it, they would still have another transfer. Unlike other communities, Riverdale has a strong commitment to up keeping its transportation and the express buses are extremely vital to the community. With the large elderly and disabled population, express buses make those commuters commutes a lot easier.

Then there are the demographics and population.... #1 some parts of Riverdale while suburban in look and feel are dense, which means that there are enough folks to use MetroNorth and still have plenty of ridership on the express buses, and they can afford both. I've often times seen folks on MetroNorth riding the express buses, so many use both services interchangeably depending on where they're going. In short, many folks move to Riverdale because of the great transportation options so that would not be something that would concern anyone. Express buses and MetroNorth have existed side by side in Riverdale for years and they will remain that way. The private colleges that Riverdale has along with the attractions like Wave Hill and other places in the area all advertise the express buses as an easy way to reach Riverdale from the city so this also helps. Someone coming from shopping on 34th street is not going to schlepp up to 42nd and then crosstown for MetroNorth when they can just take the BxM2.

Also, if you notice, neighborhoods in the Bronx that currently have express bus service also want MetroNorth (i.e. Co-Op City, Morris Park, etc.)... The more transportation a neighborhood has the better it is. It makes the neighborhood more attractive and since it is such a schlepp to get from Riverdale via the local bus and subway, folks will continue to use MetroNorth and the express buses.

I have also read how folks in neighborhoods in the Bronx take the express bus because they are concerned about riding the subway in the Bronx. I had a colleague years ago who lived in Parkchester and she refused to take the (6) train because she said it was too ghetto, so instead she would ride the BxM6. That right there is why you see folks in the Bronx fight tooth and nail for their express bus and why a line like the BxM6 is still around because folks use it instead of the subway.

In some parts of Queens, there is more of a mentality towards using the local bus to the subway and also those areas aren't as dense as they have more houses as opposed to tons of co-ops and condos like some parts of Riverdale so that's another thing you have to consider.

I'm not gonna feed into the waxing poetic of Riverdale because we've been through that on this board fifty million times already, that's not what this public hearing is about anyway..... But I will say this much:

It's only a matter of time before those stations get cut they won't be missed anyway. You do realize VG8 this spells DOOM for your beloved express bus? Expect BXM1/2 ridership to PLUMMET FAST!!!!!

If this keeps up ridership on some BXM lines near MNRR will take a nosedive so epic you will wonder where did all the riders go. Get used to using MNRR more often buddy.

I will agree this is a case of having their cake & eating it too; next they'll be summoning for increased express bus service too during off peak hours..... However, I don't think express bus ridership (namely the BxM1) will plummet & doom would be spelled for it....

....and MNRR Riverdale nor Spuyten Duyvil is going anywhere, let's get real.... The problem w/ MNRR Riverdale quite frankly is its locale - this is one reason why you have as many people saying f**k it & taking express buses, instead of taking hudson rail link to the MNRR station..... Increasing hudson rail link service would be much ado about nothing as far as bringing more people to MNRR Riverdale....

Prepare to see alot less service on BXM1 cause trust me they will bail once they get fed up enough with the harlem river traffic.

Won't happen.....

If anything, the riders that currently take BxM1's will remain doing so as to not give the MTA any more reason to lessen service on the exp. buses.... Here we go w/ the notion behind cramming people onto trains bit again.....

... why? Those are local stations, figuratively speaking.

Bad logic is bad.

I will agree this is a case of having their cake & eating it too; next they'll be summoning for increased express bus service too during off peak hours..... However, I don't think express bus ridership (namely the BxM1) will plummet & doom won't be spelled for it....

....and MNRR Riverdale nor Spuyten Duyvil is going anywhere, let's get real.... The problem w/ MNRR Riverdale quite frankly is its locale - this is one reason why you have as many people saying f**k it & taking express buses, instead of taking hudson rail link to the MNRR station..... Increasing hudson rail link service would be much ado about nothing as far as bringing more people to MNRR Riverdale....

Won't happen.....

If anything, the riders that currently take BxM1's will remain doing so as to not give the MTA any more reason to lessen service on the exp. buses.... Here we go w/ the notion behind cramming people onto trains bit again.....

Bad logic is bad.

You've made some good points... The one thing I like about Riverdalians is they're very aware of these sorts of things and they understand that it is important to utilize the services that you are given. While many do drive, there is not a fear or an arrogance of taking public transportation like I witnessed on Staten Island and this is a very good thing. Not only that but there are quite a few active folks in the area that do really care about transportation there and monitor service across the board. I will also say that my questions about the service needs of Riverdale have been answered as it seems to me that the service levels are justifiable.

Unlike parts of Queens that have seen their LIRR service cut back, the difference with Riverdale is the MetroNorth stations are not close by and there isn't a lot of parking particularly at the Spuyten Duyvil station so that means folks have to take the shuttle bus to reach the MetroNorth stations. When you factor that in then the train ride, it is still 40 - 45 minutes to Grand Central and if someone is going below 42nd street, that means TWO transfers... The shuttle bus to MetroNorth and then another bus or subway. The express bus offers a one seat ride and often times can be faster than the MetroNorth set up. This is why express bus ridership in Riverdale will continue to hold because people realize this. I don't see people suddenly running to use MetroNorth just because service is now every 30 minutes because the express buses run every 15 minutes during the day. I heard a guy say that MetroNorth is only good for folks who work around there because for someone going east or west of it, they would still have another transfer. Unlike other communities, Riverdale has a strong commitment to up keeping its transportation and the express buses are extremely vital to the community. With the large elderly and disabled population, express buses make those commuters commutes a lot easier.

Then there are the demographics and population.... #1 some parts of Riverdale while suburban in look and feel are dense, which means that there are enough folks to use MetroNorth and still have plenty of ridership on the express buses, and they can afford both. I've often times seen folks on MetroNorth riding the express buses, so many use both services interchangeably depending on where they're going. In short, many folks move to Riverdale because of the great transportation options so that would not be something that would concern anyone. Express buses and MetroNorth have existed side by side in Riverdale for years and they will remain that way. The private colleges that Riverdale has along with the attractions like Wave Hill and other places in the area all advertise the express buses as an easy way to reach Riverdale from the city so this also helps. Someone coming from shopping on 34th street is not going to schlepp up to 42nd and then crosstown for MetroNorth when they can just take the BxM2. too funny there is the broadway line and lex. In bold that is what is adding to the bus's ridership.

Also, if you notice, neighborhoods in the Bronx that currently have express bus service also want MetroNorth (i.e. Co-Op City, Morris Park, etc.)... The more transportation a neighborhood has the better it is. It makes the neighborhood more attractive and since it is such a schlepp to get from Riverdale via the local bus and subway, folks will continue to use MetroNorth and the express buses.

I have also read how folks in neighborhoods in the Bronx take the express bus because they are concerned about riding the subway in the Bronx. I had a colleague years ago who lived in Parkchester and she refused to take the (6) train because she said it was too ghetto, so instead she would ride the BxM6. That right there is why you see folks in the Bronx fight tooth and nail for their express bus and why a line like the BxM6 is still around because folks use it instead of the subway.

In some parts of Queens, there is more of a mentality towards using the local bus to the subway and also those areas aren't as dense as they have more houses as opposed to tons of co-ops and condos like some parts of Riverdale so that's another thing you have to consider.

Inaccurate as the BXM6 ridership reflects that. However it is faster except peak direction rush hr. The other BXM lines are very far from the subway and not duplicated or close to MNRR period the 7,8,9&10 I don't think it's to avoid ghetto I think that the local bus to subway is just too slow and the subway makes too many stops there. However BXM6 can be modded to kill this duplication without service reductions heck ridership may increase. BXM1/2 most of their route are more reliable than the Bx10 which contributes to this. My perfected bus plan does improve local bus service in riverdale. I will try a vs to see what is faster.

I'm not gonna feed into the waxing poetic of Riverdale because we've been through that on this board fifty million times already, that's not what this public hearing is about anyway..... But I will say this much:

I will agree this is a case of having their cake & eating it too; next they'll be summoning for increased express bus service too during off peak hours..... However, I don't think express bus ridership (namely the BxM1) will plummet & doom won't be spelled for it....

Won't happen.....

Bad logic is bad.

What about the other rail link that has more coverage than the riverdale one going to spuyten duvil and is more convenient. I guess they use the BXM1 out of fear of service cuts I see. But you did give me an idea.

I will say BXM1 has an interesting shape indeed including stop pattern that makes it a bit different.

You've made some good points... The one thing I like about Riverdalians is they're very aware of these sorts of things and they understand that it is important to utilize the services that you are given. While many do drive, there is not a fear or an arrogance of taking public transportation like I witnessed on Staten Island and this is a very good thing. Not only that but there are quite a few active folks in the area that do really care about transportation there and monitor service across the board. I will also say that my questions about the service needs of Riverdale have been answered as it seems to me that the service levels are justifiable.

Agreed.

I mean, nothing can really be done about it, but that's one problem I always had w/ the Riverdale station... I could only imagine how much more used the express buses & the railroad would be used if the RR station was *closer* to where all the action's at, so to speak..... You are correct in saying that Riverdale is very transit aware & outspoken about....

Shortline mentions Marble Hill; quite frankly I don't think too many of the Poughkeepsie expresses/semi expresses, etc. should make that stop either (I'd hear the sighs & the low-pitched "why is the train stopping here" remarks from people at times).... (I) Kinda miss the ride up to/from MNRR Peekskill (don't miss the spiders that used to crawl down from the poles onto you though)...

But more to the point, I don't really have a problem with 1/2 hour headways off peak on the Croton Harmon local trains (or weekends, otherwise), stopping at either/all of the 3 stops in the vicinity (riverdale, spuyten duyvil, marble hill).....

Inaccurate as the BXM6 ridership reflects that. However it is faster except peak direction rush hr. ...I don't think it's to avoid ghetto I think that the local bus to subway is just too slow and the subway makes too many stops there.

I'm sorry but those people sometimes wait at the BxM6 stop for a good 20 - 30 minutes for an express bus when they could walk to Grand Central and get the subway. If that isn't fear then tell me what it is?? I looked at the map and the (6) stops pretty close to where the BxM6 terminates... If they were to take the (4) or (5) and then the (6) from there how long would that trip take as opposed to waiting say 20 minutes for a BxM6 bus and then the ride? It seems to me that they make an extra effort to use that bus because the service has been cut back and the buses seem to come whenever but they still wait for them anyway....

The other BXM lines are very far from the subway and not duplicated or close to MNRR period the 7,8,9 & 10 I don't think it's to avoid ghetto I think that the local bus to subway is just too slow and the subway makes too many stops there. However BXM6 can be modded to kill this duplication without service reductions heck ridership may increase. BXM1/2 most of their route are more reliable than the Bx10 which contributes to this. My perfected bus plan does improve local bus service in riverdale. I will try a vs to see what is faster.

That is true for the BxM7 and BxM9, but the BxM8 and BxM10 do have the (6) nearby. An old colleague of mine lives in Morris Park and he was advised to use the express bus over the subway... He was a middle aged French guy and I could never see him using the (6) train in the Bronx. Sorry, just not happening. :lol:

What about the other rail link that has more coverage than the riverdale one going to spuyten duvil and is more convenient. I guess they use the BXM1 out of fear of service cuts I see. But you did give me an idea.

It's not just about fear of service cuts... It's also a sense of community. There are folks that are proud to be riding the express bus for say 15 - 20 years and they would not for a minute take MetroNorth or the local bus to the subway. I remember when that BxM1 had an accident... There was a lady on there that said she refused to take the city bus. To quote her, she said she had been riding the Riverdale express bus for 13 years and she paid for the express bus and was not getting off. She waited and stayed on until the express bus was put back into service. So it isn't just about that. There's a true understanding of the comforts the express bus offers. I've talked to folks on the BM3 and they say that it is such a nice service to have and such a shame that more people don't take advantage of it. MetroNorth may be fast, but it is more expensive and certainly not comfortable. The only time I would use it is when I'm in a hurry or there is a snowstorm and I want to be to work on time, otherwise if I'm going home I'd stick with the express bus. Even if it takes a while, I'd just relax and sleep.

Agreed.

I mean, nothing can really be done about it, but that's one problem I always had w/ the Riverdale station... I could only imagine how much more used the express buses & the railroad would be used if the RR station was *closer* to where all the action's at, so to speak..... You are correct in saying that Riverdale is very transit aware & outspoken about....

Shortline mentions Marble Hill; quite frankly I don't think too many of the Poughkeepsie expresses/semi expresses, etc. should make that stop either (I'd hear the sighs & the low-pitched "why is the train stopping here" remarks from people at times).... (I) Kinda miss the ride up to/from MNRR Peekskill (don't miss the spiders that used to crawl down from the poles onto you though)...

But more to the point, I don't really have a problem with 1/2 hour headways off peak on the Croton Harmon local trains (or weekends, otherwise), stopping at either/all of the 3 stops in the vicinity (riverdale, spuyten duyvil, marble hill).....

lol... I do see the looks those Westchester folks have particularly when they see folks get on at University Heights and Morris Heights... It's like they're a fish out of water. As for the Marble Hill stop, I'm kind of surprised that folks would have that reaction but not quite that surprised. Marble Hill isn't exactly the crème de la crème, but what I do notice is that a lot of folks get off there from Westchester, maybe to get to New York Presbyterian.

I'm sorry but those people sometimes wait at the BxM6 stop for a good 20 - 30 minutes for an express bus when they could walk to Grand Central and get the subway. If that isn't fear then tell me what it is?? I looked at the map and the (6) stops pretty close to where the BxM6 terminates... If they were to take the (4) or (5) and then the (6) from there how long would that trip take as opposed to waiting say 20 minutes for a BxM6 bus and then the ride? It seems to me that they make an extra effort to use that bus because the service has been cut back and the buses seem to come whenever but they still wait for them anyway.... There is a reason why only 679 weekday riders use it as most people are NOT that stupid or addicted to one mode and care about getting from point A to B it's ridership is the 2nd lowest of the BXMs for a reason. To make things more embarrassing you know a line fails when EVEN X63!!! HAS MORE RIDERSHIP!!!! BXM6 is full-time all day and X63 is peak-direction only AND duplicates LIRR yet BXM6 even with full-time service can't even attract more riders than the X63 which is not even bi-directional I find that kind of sad even BM4 has more ridership!!!! BXM6 in it's current shape is pretty much fail. I mean it can't even beat out a SE queens rush hr only route that means many buses on the BXM6 are running empty!!!!!

That is true for the BxM7 and BxM9, but the BxM8 and BxM10 do have the (6) nearby. An old colleague of mine lives in Morris Park and he was advised to use the express bus over the subway... He was a middle aged French guy and I could never see him using the (6) train in the Bronx. Sorry, just not happening. :lol:

BXM8 and 10 ARE WAY FASTER THAN THE (6)!!!!!

It's not just about fear of service cuts... It's also a sense of community. There are folks that are proud to be riding the express bus for say 15 - 20 years and they would not for a minute take MetroNorth or the local bus to the subway. I remember when that BxM1 had an accident... There was a lady on there that said she refused to take the city bus. To quote her, she said she had been riding the Riverdale express bus for 13 years and she paid for the express bus and was not getting off. She waited and stayed on until the express bus was put back into service. So it isn't just about that. There's a true understanding of the comforts the express bus offers. I've talked to folks on the BM3 and they say that it is such a nice service to have and such a shame that more people don't take advantage of it. MetroNorth may be fast, but it is more expensive and certainly not comfortable. The only time I would use it is when I'm in a hurry or there is a snowstorm and I want to be to work on time, otherwise if I'm going home I'd stick with the express bus. Even if it takes a while, I'd just relax and sleep.

If you work near GCT then NOT TRUE MNRR monthly is $7 less than express bus monthly however there are ways things can change. That lady is a complete MORON!!!!

lol... I do see the looks those Westchester folks have particularly when they see folks get on at University Heights and Morris Heights... It's like they're a fish out of water. As for the Marble Hill stop, I'm kind of surprised that folks would have that reaction but not quite that surprised. Marble Hill isn't exactly the crème de la crème, but what I do notice is that a lot of folks get off there from Westchester, maybe to get to New York Presbyterian.True I observed the same thing happen plenty of times.

You make this seem very interesting replies in red.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus.htm

and http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

You make this seem very interesting replies in red.

Actually the MetroNorth pass does NOT include the cost of a MetroCard so that price is deceiving. Believe me I considered getting a monthly MetroNorth pass but decided against it for that very reason. Oh.. The BxM6 is not last... The BxM18 is but that route only has 7 runs each day during rush hour only and is fairly new... The morning runs are packed... The evening runs are crowded to up until the last few buses or so.

Archived