NICE Fare Increase

Amtrak7

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Editorial: NICE should reap benefit of higher fare

LINK: http://www.newsday.com/opinion/editorial-nice-should-reap-benefit-of-higher-fare-1.4485381

image.JPG

A large majority of the customers who ride Nassau County's bus system are going to be paying more starting on March 3. That will be true whether Nassau Inter-County Express raises its fares or not.

Since that's the case, it would be wise for NICE to raise all of its fares from $2.25 to $2.50, just as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is doing, rather than simply letting the MTA pocket the extra money.

According to NICE, about three-quarters of its riders use MTA MetroCards to pay. When the MTA's 25-cent increase for those who use MetroCards goes into effect, what makes the most sense is for NICE bus to also institute the same increase in its fares and get the additional money, about $4 million per year. If that does not happen, customers would have to pay an extra 25 cents to the MTA for a usually free transfer from a NICE bus to an MTA subway or bus. That's money that should go to Nassau's bus system.

The MTA is also increasing the price of its unlimited-ride, 30-day pass from $104 to $112, but NICE officials believe they would see an increased share of that money even if they don't raise fares.

Nassau's bus service was taken over by private operator Veolia Transportation on Jan. 1, 2012, a move that saved the county more than $30 million a year. Public transportation advocates and some riders fought the move, arguing that Veolia would gut the service and institute massive fare hikes.

The transition hasn't been perfect. Some routes have been cut, while others have been expanded. But the county has saved a lot of money, and customer satisfaction surveys have been generally positive. Officials say that while NICE's exact budget and next year's level of state funding are still up in the air, the money could probably be used to expand service.

Nobody wants bus fares to go up, but moderate increases are, sooner or later, inevitable. What doesn't make sense is to see Nassau bus riders pay higher fares anyway, and not have that money go to improve the system they depend on.

I see mostly Metrocard users on the busy routes. 90%

You don't see it? It's quite simple. NICE Gets 100% of the cash fare, it shares some of the Metrocard fare with the MTA. If the cash fare is cheaper it may entice riders to pay with cash, and therefore NICE collects more fare revenue that it doesn't have to share. Though being that it's 25c for a transfer it may not help transferring passengers.

How much do those NICE cards cost?

How much do those NICE cards cost?

There's no such thing as a NICE card.

NICE uses same MTA MetroCard as MTA, Bee-Line and Roosevelt Island Tramway.

According to NICE Public Hearing, (MTA) could upgrade NICE Farebox different fare structure.

You mean give new fareboxes to NICE? Maybe they'll all be working once we start paying that extra quarter.

You mean give new fareboxes to NICE? Maybe they'll all be working once we start paying that extra quarter.

No, (MTA) maintains farebox and MVM at Hempstead, however they could upgrade program different for NICE Farebox.

Can NICE create their own card and rig the fareboxes to read the code on stripe on their card?  I wonder what the agreement states between and the MTA as far as the lease goes?  If it doesn't say they can only metrocards NICE should look into using their own cards.  There is no reason should be providing the service while the MTA keeps most of the money.

Either that NICE should looking replacing the fareboxes and slowly ease out the metrocards by summer or by Jan. 2014! 

Can NICE create their own card and rig the fareboxes to read the code on stripe on their card?  I wonder what the agreement states between and the MTA as far as the lease goes?  If it doesn't say they can only metrocards NICE should look into using their own cards.  There is no reason should be providing the service while the MTA keeps most of the money.

Either that NICE should looking replacing the fareboxes and slowly ease out the metrocards by summer or by Jan. 2014! 

Over 70% of the ridership uses Metrocards. Give up Metrocards and you can kiss alot of those riders who transfer between NYC Subways and NICE goodbye as they will not pay a double fare. Part of the reason Suffolk Transit ridership is much lower is because of the lack of Metrocards. Getting rid of Metrocards means further isolating Nassau buses from the rest of the MTA system and causing even more declines in ridership.

Over 70% of the ridership uses Metrocards. Give up Metrocards and you can kiss alot of those riders who transfer between NYC Subways and NICE goodbye as they will not pay a double fare. Part of the reason Suffolk Transit ridership is much lower is because of the lack of Metrocards. Getting rid of Metrocards means further isolating Nassau buses from the rest of the MTA system and causing even more declines in ridership.

If NICE stops taking Metrocards, which most likely won't happen given I think at least NICE understands the impact on ridership, they can kiss me goodbye because the hell if you think I'm gonna carry around change everywhere I go.

If NICE stops taking Metrocards, which most likely won't happen given I think at least NICE understands the impact on ridership, they can kiss me goodbye because the hell if you think I'm gonna carry around change everywhere I go.

Why would you need change if NICE had their own card?

Over 70% of the ridership uses Metrocards. Give up Metrocards and you can kiss alot of those riders who transfer between NYC Subways and NICE goodbye as they will not pay a double fare.

I don't think that is true.  First why must nice lose all this money to the MTA so riders can transfer to MTA systems?  If riders use both the MTA and NICE both MTA and nice can sit and find a way to SHARE that fare!  The answer is not MTA gets the majority of the fare on 75% of the fares because riders on some lines use BOTH systems.

It sounds harsh but if the MTA will not budge and wants to keep a majority of the money on metrocards and will not work on a way to SHARE the fare on riders who use BOTH systems, then yes passengers will have to pay double the fare.  It's as much as the MTA's fault as it is NICE's fault.  NICE cannot afford to GIVE GIVE GIVE to the MTA to use the metrocard.

Have you ever asked the MTA why they will not pay NICE a fee so riders paying for a LIRR ticket can transfer to a nice bus for free to/from the LIRR?

Part of the reason Suffolk Transit ridership is much lower is because of the lack of Metrocards.

I don't think that's even close to being true.

Getting rid of Metrocards means further isolating Nassau buses from the rest of the MTA system and causing even more declines in ridership.

They are separate systems, it is not NICE's job to funnel the MTA, like I said the two agencies should look for a solution, but if not NICE should not continue to waste a majority of their fare revenue by using the metrocard.  It's ridiculous.

The problem Pine Power is you have a problem seeing a foot past your face.  You continually complain about nice service, but look where a majority of the fare revenue goes!

Why would you need change if NICE had their own card?

NICE creating their own card is an even more waste of money. They would have to get new custom-made fareboxes instead of just renting ones from the (MTA) , not to mention deal with transfer differences between them and SCT and the (MTA). They would also have to print their own cards, create vending machines and pay more people to manage those things.

NICE creating their own card is an even more waste of money. They would have to get new custom-made fareboxes instead of just renting ones from the (MTA) , not to mention deal with transfer differences between them and SCT and the (MTA). They would also have to print their own cards, create vending machines and pay more people to manage those things.

Well, most of that is just assumption because you (or I) don't know what the costs and possible savings would be.  How many passengers ride nice a year?  75% of them using a meterocard, and how much of that goes to the MTA for just the use of the metrocard? 

They would have to get new custom-made fareboxes instead of just renting ones from the (MTA)

I already questioned whether or not it's in the contract that nice must use a metro card in the farebox.  If they must use the metrocard and the MTA will not ease up on the outragous money they are stealing the the NICE rider, it is time to look at new payment options.

We are talking millions in uncollected fare revenue that is going into the MTA's pocket just  for the use of the metrocard?  This money should be put into the NICE system not into the MTA's bank account!

Well, most of that is just assumption because you (or I) don't know what the costs and possible savings would be.  How many passengers ride nice a year?  75% of them using a meterocard, and how much of that goes to the MTA for just the use of the metrocard? 

I already questioned whether or not it's in the contract that nice must use a metro card in the farebox.  If they must use the metrocard and the MTA will not ease up on the outragous money they are stealing the the NICE rider, it is time to look at new payment options.

We are talking millions in uncollected fare revenue that is going into the MTA's pocket just  for the use of the metrocard?  This money should be put into the NICE system not into the MTA's bank account!

They are using MTA's stuff, so of course the money is going back to Manhattan.

http://nicebus.com/Passenger_Information/Community_Meetings/index.html

Meeting to vote on Feb 13. The Annual Plan, Budget, and Capital Update will also be presented-if they aren't released on the website I'll try to make it to the meeting (though with school ending at 2:30 I'll probably get there just as it starts)

http://nicebus.com/Passenger_Information/Community_Meetings/index.html

Meeting to vote on Feb 13. The Annual Plan, Budget, and Capital Update will also be presented-if they aren't released on the website I'll try to make it to the meeting (though with school ending at 2:30 I'll probably get there just as it starts)

I may show up as well. I'll probably have enough time to get there.

Who says the MTA keeps most of the money?

When NICE first took them over, they said they were paying the MTA 1.75 cents (that's $0.0175, NOT $1.75) to enable them to accept MetroCards. I don't know where people are getting this nonsense about them taking most of the money. For transfers between the two systems, I'm pretty sure they split it 50/50.

They released a huge contract that was something like 112 pages when they first took the system over that has all the details.

When NICE first took them over, they said they were paying the MTA 1.75 cents (that's $0.0175, NOT $1.75) to enable them to accept MetroCards. I don't know where people are getting this nonsense about them taking most of the money. For transfers between the two systems, I'm pretty sure they split it 50/50.

They released a huge contract that was something like 112 pages when they first took the system over that has all the details.

Do you happen to have a link to that contract?

The huge contract being referred to is the NICE contract, not the MOU with the MTA. The 1.75 cent figure comes from Newsday.

I am going to FOIL the MetroCard and Mineola MOU's....lets see what the MTA comes back with.

Oh...  Big oh...  My comments were based on me assuming MTA was getting a lot more (now I didn't confuse 1.75 cents with dollars).  I thought nice was giving up like 2/3 to 4/5 of the fare on the metrocard.  Big difference!  I could've sworn I saw something to that effect posted on these forums somewhere...

Where can I see these documents?  Any deals made between the MTA and nice/veolia/nassau county should be public info available on the NICE or Nassau County website

Oh...  Big oh...  My comments were based on me assuming MTA was getting a lot more (now I didn't confuse 1.75 cents with dollars).  I thought nice was giving up like 2/3 to 4/5 of the fare on the metrocard.  Big difference!  I could've sworn I saw something to that effect posted on these forums somewhere...

Where can I see these documents?  Any deals made between the MTA and nice/veolia/nassau county should be public info available on the NICE or Nassau County website

Seriously, I don't understand why they always have to do business behind close doors. That's the problem.

Archived