NICE Fare Increase

Amtrak7

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The linked contract is between Veolia and Nassau, not the MTA.

Back to the topic of the fare hike:

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=019F039E52D6854823CB.3272?site=newsday&view=top_stories_item&feed:a=newsday_1min&feed:c=topstories&feed:i=1.4544330&nopaging=1

But the NICE fare increase likely will be smaller than originally planned, after Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano this week urged that fares for cash-paying customers be kept at current levels. Mangano appointed three of the committee's five members.

---

NICE spokesman Andrew Kraus said the extra money from the fare increase "can be used to enhance both the quantity and quality of service for its riders."

---

Bus Transit Committee member Livio Tony Rosario called the new fare revenue "found money" that should go to restoring midday service eliminated in some areas.

Yay for service!

If the revenue predictions do end up happening, I hope they don't waste that money by doing something like reviving n21 midday service. I think, for one thing, they should bring back half-hour service on the N54/55 because those buses are all packed.

I took 17:00 n21 Glen Clove today to Manhassett Gas Station and lots of n21 riders are angry at Veolia  that there are no midday service. I heard from passenger Glen Clove passengers want n21 fully restored on double.

Glen Clove passengers also has same opion as PinePower's suggestion that Roslyn Station connection is not very helpful and even Spanish rider told me n27 weekend need to return to RFM.

why do cash payers get a free pass? CMON MAN

It didn't say they get free pass.

Edward P. Mangano want cash-fare payers to have current fare level, but that will cost step-up charge.

His liar because every NICE Riders said, "NICE isn't perfectly NICE." even Spanish

Edward P. Mangano want cash-fare payers to have current fare level, but that will cost step-up charge.

Good point...NICE paper transfers are valid and will still be valid on NYCT buses...but now the MTA buses need to be programmed to collect the difference as they don't do that for any agency now.

The linked contract is between Veolia and Nassau, not the MTA.

Back to the topic of the fare hike:

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=019F039E52D6854823CB.3272?site=newsday&view=top_stories_item&feed:a=newsday_1min&feed:c=topstories&feed:i=1.4544330&nopaging=1

Yay for service!

I think it's a huge mistake, but I'm not surprised since Mangano seems to want to do everything to discourage transit use. By having the cash fare lower, some riders will choose to pay with coins again, slowing buses down and discouraing Metrocard use. Sometimes I have to wonder, if Mangano is pulling this so Metrocard can be phased out on NICE? Also he doesn't want service improved, and the extra revenue from the cash fare hike would go to restoring those devastating service cuts last April. This just makes things that much more confusing. I can only hope the board has some common sense and approves both fare hikes. I dont think that any other system had two sets of fares, though I think Bee-Line did for a brief amount of time. I wonder what Bee-Line will do this time? I'm so tired of Mangano trying to act like a hero, none of us are fooled, he's the villan. :angry:

I think it's a huge mistake, but I'm not surprised since Mangano seems to want to do everything to discourage transit use. By having the cash fare lower, some riders will choose to pay with coins again, slowing buses down and discouraing Metrocard use. Sometimes I have to wonder, if Mangano is pulling this so Metrocard can be phased out on NICE? Also he doesn't want service improved, and the extra revenue from the cash fare hike would go to restoring those devastating service cuts last April. This just makes things that much more confusing. I can only hope the board has some common sense and approves both fare hikes. I dont think that any other system had two sets of fares, though I think Bee-Line did for a brief amount of time. I wonder what Bee-Line will do this time? I'm so tired of Mangano trying to act like a hero, none of us are fooled, he's the villan. :angry:

bee-line raised it to match metrocard fare. I think MTA if NICE doesn't raise cash fares should block paper transfers from NICE cause reprogramming for step up charge is troublesome.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=2EC646DAE338120F6182.3272?site=newsday&view=search_results_item&feed:a=newsday_10min&feed:c=opinion&feed:i=1.4549038&feed:tag=newsday_1min,newsday_5min,newsday_10min&feed:max=50&feed:search=Nassau%20bus%20won't%20reinstate%20routes

It was recently revealed that state funds will increase for NICE this year. As a result, NICE is optimistic that funds can be used to enhance both the quantity and quality of service. Given this, NICE's financial picture will not be significantly impacted if the Nassau Bus Transit Committee does not approve the fare increase.

However, it is not time to go backward by reinstating underutilized stops or service that has proved to be wasteful and was eliminated or redesigned in 2012. Any NICE service enhancements must provide the greatest impact for the greatest number of customers.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm guessing half will go to Mangano's reelection campaign, half to corporate profits. Everybody's happy. Well, maybe not Nassau bus riders.

I guess the n27 will remain the useless shuttle to nowhere on weekends.  :(

Yea, the 27 should go to RF at all times, but if they won't do that, at least It would be NICE to have bus shelters at Roslyn LIRR station and in Greenvale at Northern Blvd & Glen Cove Rd (northbound side) so you're not standing to death there .

Yea, the 27 should go to RF at all times, but if they won't do that, at least It would be NICE to have bus shelters at Roslyn LIRR station and in Greenvale at Northern Blvd & Glen Cove Rd (northbound side) so you're not standing to death there .

On the N27 - I wonder if permanently cutting it back to Roosevelt Field (even during rush hours) could get at least some Saturday service to Roosevelt Field...after all, the deadhead from Mitchel Field to Roslyn does waste money. Weekend, or at least Saturday service could even run via Willis Avenue and Glen Cove Road (keeping Sunday as shuttle service).

Question: how many people from north of Roslyn need to access Hempstead? That is, could the N23 be cut back to Roosevelt Field on weekends as well, with the N15, N16 (Saturdays only) and N35 handling the Roosevelt Field along with an extended N32 running via Westbury Boulevard and Oak Street? Roosevelt Field seems ideal to me because it's only about 5 minutes from there to the Commercial Avenue garage. To pay for this, N31 service could be reduced between Lynbrook and Hempstead, with the N32 covering it.

On the N27 - I wonder if permanently cutting it back to Roosevelt Field (even during rush hours) could get at least some Saturday service to Roosevelt Field...after all, the deadhead from Mitchel Field to Roslyn does waste money. Weekend, or at least Saturday service could even run via Willis Avenue and Glen Cove Road (keeping Sunday as shuttle service).

Question: how many people from north of Roslyn need to access Hempstead? That is, could the N23 be cut back to Roosevelt Field on weekends as well, with the N15, N16 (Saturdays only) and N35 handling the Roosevelt Field along with an extended N32 running via Westbury Boulevard and Oak Street? Roosevelt Field seems ideal to me because it's only about 5 minutes from there to the Commercial Avenue garage. To pay for this, N31 service could be reduced between Lynbrook and Hempstead, with the N32 covering it.

I phrased my post wrong again. By all times, I meant the n27 would go to RF at all times, but would still keep going on to Hempstead during rush hours, in other words, the whole n27 route. Off-peak hours should have the n27 between roosevelt field and glen cove because of the transfer points available. The n23 does well does on that hempstead extension and has been since it was created in April. I think thats what NICE could do with some of the revenue money, extend the n27 back.

The Nassau County executive's sole priority is getting the cheapest possible service.  Absolutely nothing else matters.  Why would he advocate for a $2.25 cash fare and upcoming $2.50 Metrocard fare?  The only reason would be that NICE would get the full $2.25 cash fare versus (I'm guessing 50% of the $2.50 Metrocard fare = $1.25 if a rider uses a subway and bus) which would mean Nassau County could cut its subsidy to NICE if NICE takes in additional money for cash fares.

Does anyone know if there is a 50/50 split between NICE & the MTA if a user uses the F train and then takes the N6 bus using a Metrocard?  (It wouldn't be fair if NICE got 80% of the current $2.25 fare and NYC transit got only 20% of the current $2.25 fare.)

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/letters/letter-nassau-bus-won-t-reinstate-routes-1.4549038 Letter: Nassau bus won't reinstate routes

Published: February 1, 2013 5:56 PM

image.JPG

Photo credit: Barry Sloan | A Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) bus in Garden City. (Jan 1, 2012)

Regarding "Invest fare hike in service" [Editorial, Jan. 22], balancing Nassau Inter-County Express bus service levels against system revenue is a complicated endeavor. But, as NICE prepares its proposed 2013 budget, its goal is to offer as much service as financial resources allow.

Newsday's editorial recognized that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's decision to raise fares on MetroCard will result in a fare increase for three-quarters of NICE riders. If NICE does not match the MTA fare increase, the additional revenue would go to the MTA as opposed to coming back to support NICE service.

Our customers need to know that NICE cannot avoid or opt out of the MTA fare increase that will hit MetroCard users. Even rider advocates insist that we must continue to use MetroCard to preserve free or affordable transfers to the MTA.

It was recently revealed that state funds will increase for NICE this year. As a result, NICE is optimistic that funds can be used to enhance both the quantity and quality of service. Given this, NICE's financial picture will not be significantly impacted if the Nassau Bus Transit Committee does not approve the fare increase.

However, it is not time to go backward by reinstating underutilized stops or service that has proved to be wasteful and was eliminated or redesigned in 2012. Any NICE service enhancements must provide the greatest impact for the greatest number of customers.

Michael Setzer, Garden City

Editor's note: The writer is the chief executive of Nassau Inter-County Express.

Archived