NICE Fare Increase

Amtrak7

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amtrak7 posted newsday article, not that editorial.

Click the link, he posted that same letter,

IMO if service was cut due to low ridership why waste the money by reinstating low ridership service?  Wouldn't the money be better spent improving other service?

Like bringing back the N6 Limited? Thats an improvement any way I see it from the service that runs today.

n2/n8: Extend via n25 route from Franklin Sq to Long Island Jewish Hospital.

n6: Reinstate n6x stop at Elmont Rd (upon Elmont District customers) or restore n6ltd with no stop at Belmont Racetrack.

n20: All Roslyn trip should be extended to Greenvale for better connection with n27.

n21: Upon Glen Clove resident's request, restore midday and weekend service every hour.

n27: Weekend service restore to Roosevelt Field Mall and restore 30-minute service midday.

n62: Combine both loop with Guy R View and ACPR Loop.

I just realized something, NICE may feel they may get slightly more revenue from keeping cash fares at $2.25 because some more people would pay with cash, to save a quarter. They have to split Metrocard revenue with MTA, but not cash revenue. So if cash revenue goes up, it may result in the same or more cash revenue than if they raised fares to $2.50. I dont think many NICE riders use paper transfers between NYC Bus and NICE, so they may be gotten rid of so NYCT doesn't have to program their FBs for NICE tranfers. I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end for Metrocard on NICE, as frequent riders as well as nyc subway transfers will continue to use Metrocards since it still works out cheaper in the end.

IMO if service was cut due to low ridership why waste the money by reinstating low ridership service?  Wouldn't the money be better spent improving other service?

n27 never had low ridership on weekends. Ironically, the n27 has LESS ridership now after the April 8th changes. Restoring it to RF is a no brainer for the weekends. The n23 extension to HTC and RF is a success and has added ridership, but the n27 has lost. All they need is one extra bus on the n27 to run between RF and Glen Cove, hourly, on weekends. 

I just realized something, NICE may feel they may get slightly more revenue from keeping cash fares at $2.25 because some more people would pay with cash, to save a quarter. They have to split Metrocard revenue with MTA, but not cash revenue. So if cash revenue goes up, it may result in the same or more cash revenue than if they raised fares to $2.50. I dont think many NICE riders use paper transfers between NYC Bus and NICE, so they may be gotten rid of so NYCT doesn't have to program their FBs for NICE tranfers. I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end for Metrocard on NICE, as frequent riders as well as nyc subway transfers will continue to use Metrocards since it still works out cheaper in the end.

I have been wondering if there is a hold of some sort, and how long it takes the MTA to pay NICE the money from the metrocards?  Also, you have to think nice is paying at least one person to analyze the fares collected with what the MTA pays them.  By encoraging less people to use the metrocard this is cash in hand for nice, no hold on it and whoever they have analyzing the MTA payments is free to spend more time working on other projects if less people use the metrocard.

n2/n8: Extend via n25 route from Franklin Sq to Long Island Jewish Hospital.

n6: Reinstate n6x stop at Elmont Rd (upon Elmont District customers) or restore n6ltd with no stop at Belmont Racetrack.

n20: All Roslyn trip should be extended to Greenvale for better connection with n27.

n21: Upon Glen Clove resident's request, restore midday and weekend service every hour.

n27: Weekend service restore to Roosevelt Field Mall and restore 30-minute service midday.

n62: Combine both loop with Guy R View and ACPR Loop.

The new n2/n8 now connects to the n25 anyway, so why extend it?

The N6 is a no brainer, everything would be fine if they just restored the damn LIMITED and had buses run a bit more often during rush hours.

The n20 to Greenvale, I don't know, I thought about that in 2011 during Long Island Bus, and then I thought, the connection to the n23 is enough. If you really need to go to Glen Cove from the n20 from Flushing, and not many people do that, just wait the hour.

That n21 restoration is a waste, as if I haven't said that enough times already.

With the n27, weekend service hourly between RF and Glen Cove. I don't know how many people you think ride the n27 middays, but it really isn't enough to budge from the hourly rate. Rush hours is when you need the every half hour.

n62 - I agree with you, but I don't think NICE would do it because of the fear of rider confusion or interlining issues.

I'm still waiting for the impending ****storm from the usual - communist Obernauer and the rest of the conceited baby mamas and daddies flashing their Beats and $200+ sneakers who always try to claim that they "had money on their card before" and that they're handicapped so they don't have to pay the full fare.

As for the immigrants, I don't know what to say about them.  Let's leave it at that.

The n20 to Greenvale, I don't know, I thought about that in 2011 during Long Island Bus, and then I thought, the connection to the n23 is enough. If you really need to go to Glen Cove from the n20 from Flushing, and not many people do that, just wait the hour.

I think you're under-estimating the amount of people traveling between Glen Cove and Flushing. I would extend the n20 Roslyn trips to Greenvale on Saturdays, like what is already done on Sundays. Today I saw about 10 people getting off an N20 Greenvale/LIU trip to wait for a northbound n27. Plus students often use the n20 on weekends as well for shopping errands.

News12 did a report on the fare hike, and how 'bout that, Yuki is in the video (go to 1:17 in the video):

http://longisland.news12.com/nice-bus-mulls-fare-hike-nassau-executive-mangano-urges-against-it-1.4536017

This was 17:00 meeting. NCTC had to read my 14:00 testimony because Newsday couldn't understand me, so after I went to Bella Market, I went to La Quinta Hotel, where NICE hotel receptionist made copy for me and I spoke at 17:00 meeting with Nassau County Legislatures Dave something and Carrie Solages.

Majority of n4 riders coming from NYC Subway Station at Jamaica Center, Jamaica-179th St/169th St, Far Rockaways.

Majority of Rockaway residents depends on NICE n31/n32/n33 within Queens along with Q22, Q52, Q53, Q111, Q113 LCL/LTD and so it's an important NICE match up with MTA Fare Hike, especially for MetroCard and cash fare customers.

If NICE did not increase fare with MTA in the Rockaways, Rockaways resident (hard-hurricane sandy affected area) might increase ridership on n31/n32/n33 in Far Rockaway and maybe MTA might loose money for Rockaways business.

Majority of n4 riders coming from NYC Subway Station at Jamaica Center, Jamaica-179th St/169th St, Far Rockaways.

Majority of Rockaway residents depends on NICE n31/n32/n33 within Queens along with Q22, Q52, Q53, Q111, Q113 LCL/LTD and so it's an important NICE match up with MTA Fare Hike, especially for MetroCard and cash fare customers.

If NICE did not increase fare with MTA in the Rockaways, Rockaways resident (hard-hurricane sandy affected area) might increase ridership on n31/n32/n33 in Far Rockaway and maybe MTA might loose money for Rockaways business.

The N31/32/33 only serve a small part of Far Rockaway. Nobody's going to take a bus within that small part of Far Rockaway, unless they're going to the subway, where they'd have to pay a step-up fare anyway. The NICE buses don't go to the areas served by the Q22 & Q113, so nobody's going to switch to an MTA bus just to save a quarter.

I mean, there's the free (H) and shuttle buses to Howard Beach (you don't have to dip in a MetroCard on them, do you?), but if you're going to one of those areas, you'll just walk directly to the station/bus stop and get a ride for free.

The N31/32/33 only serve a small part of Far Rockaway. Nobody's going to take a bus within that small part of Far Rockaway, unless they're going to the subway, where they'd have to pay a step-up fare anyway. The NICE buses don't go to the areas served by the Q22 & Q113, so nobody's going to switch to an MTA bus just to save a quarter.

I mean, there's the free (H) and shuttle buses to Howard Beach (you don't have to dip in a MetroCard on them, do you?), but if you're going to one of those areas, you'll just walk directly to the station/bus stop and get a ride for free.

I didn't say switch to MTA Buses.

Maybe residents in the Far Rockaway might switch to NICE if NICE stays $2.25 for cash fare payers.

When you get off (A) Shuttle Bus at Howard Beach, you have to dip your MetroCard in farebox by emergency service gate.

I will come late to meeting because I had to stop by Jericho Whole Food.

I'm waiting for 2:15pm n50 Hicksville now.

Anyone who's at the meeting, can you please video the presentation on the budget/annual plan?

CRAP! I forgot that was today. Whatever, yes, someone please get video.

Archived