NICE Fare Increase

Amtrak7

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=2FA94BFFB072A744803D.3278?site=newsday&view=longisland_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=longisland&feed:i=1.4643277

NICE Bus plans to use nearly $8 million in additional state aid and new revenue from a MetroCard fare increase to raise service levels by about 7 percent on fixed-route buses and more than 11 percent on Able-Ride, officials said.

----

The new rate plan was approved by a 3-2 vote of the committee. Chairman Sheldon Shrenk, Lawrence Blessinger Jr. and Kathy Ann Comeford voted in favor of the new rate. Livio Tony Rosario and Jean Durosea voted against the hike, arguing it was unfair for Nassau to adjust its fees whenever MTA fees change.

In keeping the cash fare at $2.25 more riders will choose to pay with cash, potentially delaying buses. I do know the NYC DOT private lines (Queens Surface,etc) did have lower cash fares, I wonder if anyone has any data on the % of Metrocard users on them.

The N31/32/33 only serve a small part of Far Rockaway. Nobody's going to take a bus within that small part of Far Rockaway, unless they're going to the subway, where they'd have to pay a step-up fare anyway. The NICE buses don't go to the areas served by the Q22 & Q113, so nobody's going to switch to an MTA bus just to save a quarter.

I mean, there's the free (H) and shuttle buses to Howard Beach (you don't have to dip in a MetroCard on them, do you?), but if you're going to one of those areas, you'll just walk directly to the station/bus stop and get a ride for free.

The point in the first part of your post here I agree with.....

Don't know what Yuki's talkin about (in his post you were responding to with this, or his rebuttal to this post of yours)....

As for your question... the buses are free (just like all the other shuttle subway shuttles)....

Yuki's referring to the fareboxes at howard beach (they're actually fareboxes... lol) you gotta dip your metrocard into, to access the subway...

The new rate plan was approved by a 3-2 vote of the committee. Chairman Sheldon Shrenk, Lawrence Blessinger Jr. and Kathy Ann Comeford voted in favor of the new rate. Livio Tony Rosario and Jean Durosea voted against the hike, arguing it was unfair for Nassau to adjust its fees whenever MTA fees change.

That is not a very valid decision to vote against the hike when the (MTA) has given Nassau County more than they've appreciated them for. The riders, the good service for years under Long Island Bus, the tourism that the city gives Nassau County. I cannot believe how stubborn those two people are.

Well. we're going to have two different fares now!

LINK: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;jsessionid=9B0C752E95667A2138F6.3280?site=newsday&view=longisland_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=longisland&feed:i=1.4643277&nopaging=1

image.JPG

NICE Bus plans to use nearly $8 million in additional state aid and new revenue from a MetroCard fare increase to raise service levels by about 7 percent on fixed-route buses and more than 11 percent on Able-Ride, officials said.

The plans came as the Nassau Transit Bus Committee Wednesday approved a plan to match the Metropolitan Transportation Authority 's fare hike for MetroCard users. The increase, which goes into effect March 3, means MetroCard users will pay $2.50 for a single ride, up from $2.25, and also see increases in 30-day passes and other unlimited-ride MetroCards.

For cash-paying customers, fares will remain $2.25 per ride, following the recommendation of Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano, who appointed three of the committee's five members.

NICE officials have said adopting the MTA 's MetroCard increase is necessary to avoid having customers pay the step-up fees for transferring to its buses and subways. By keeping cash fares stable, NICE chief executive Michael Setzer said he believes the agency is protecting its lowest income riders, who tend to pay with coins.

"I see this going down the line again with future fare increases," Rosario said. "So if their [MTA's] fare increases, are we obligated to make our fares increase also? For that reason I think it's unfair."

Setzer said after the meeting that riders have said they prefer keeping the MetroCard system in place because they get a free MTA transfer once in New York City.

Setzer released details of how he plans to spend the $3 million to be generated from the MetroCard increase, as well as more than $5 million in expected new state aid. NICE will increase its service hours to 2,981 per weekday from 2,760 hours, in part by putting more buses on the road. For Able-Ride, which serves disabled customers, service will increase to 5,005 weekday hours from 4,475.

Setzer said some improvements will take effect in April, but more increases in service will come in September.

NICE is proposing reducing the hourly rate Nassau pays for fixed bus route service to $85.25 from $87.12 to help offset the cost of providing increased service.

The extra service will largely be concentrated on busy lines where crowding can be a problem, and could include more weekend buses.

Riders will "have a better chance of getting a seat and, if we're successful, they'll be on time more often," Setzer said.

"We are heartened to hear that riders would be getting more and better service," said Ryan Lynch , associate director of the Tri-State Transportation Committee, an advocacy group for mass transit improvements in the region.

But the Long Island Bus Riders Union, a transit users advocacy group, presented committee members with 1,000 petition signatures from riders opposing the increase.

Ana Giraldo, an organizer for the group, said the increase was unfair to working families and complained about long wait times for those transferring between buses.

NICE will not restore service that has been cut over the past year on some routes with few riders, despite calls from some riders and transit advocates to do so.

"I think what we've demonstrated is that we can serve more people with the same amount of money by distributing the service based on where the demand is, and not by going back to some former state," Setzer said. "We'll never have enough money to serve every last need."

That is not a very valid decision to vote against the hike when the (MTA) has given Nassau County more than they've appreciated them for. The riders, the good service for years under Long Island Bus, the tourism that the city gives Nassau County. I cannot believe how stubborn those two people are.

Stubborn? How about "silly"? Do they not realize the step-up fare charge would go entirely to the MTA otherwise?

OIizqRb.gif

The problem is Nassau County you got more with the MTA because they had more money to run the system with.  If nice had more money they could offer better service than the MTA ever could.  It has been proven that Veolia can provide more/better service with less money than the MTA could.  If the Nassau county bus system could get more money it is now a proven fact that Veolia could do more with it.  Veolia works with what they have.  i don't understand the love fest with the MTA becuase they were irrisponsible with a bloated budget.  Of course you are going to see more with more money, but what are you getting for the money?  Is the money going towards the transit system and service or is it going to fill a bloated administrative budget?

Again, you get what you can pay for, IF the system coiuld be funded properly would the money be better managed by the MTA or by Veolia?  I think it is pretty clear Veolia could do a better job with the money than the MTA can?

<insert hound to bash me now...>

I'd really love it if more than one out of a thousand LI drivers would take the four seconds it takes for a bus to merge if the lane is clear back into traffic.  Bus operators can make up time lost at badly timed lights if no one requests a stop or if no one gets on for a good quarter mile but the traffic here has to be the number one reason why nothing really ends up on time.  No amount of money can fix the traffic here...

I hope this answers some of your questions about the new fare:

LINK: http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger_Information/Fares_and_Passes/index.html

New Increase in MetroCard® fares starting March 3rd, 2013:

Things to know:

• Cash fares on NICE Buses remain at $2.25
  • New Single Ride MetroCard Fare is $2.50.

Starting March 3rd...

If a customer has a Nassau County Social Service card with $1.10 on it and attempts to pay the fare...

...the NICE farebox will go into split-fare
mode. That is, the farebox will take the $1.10 from the MetroCard and
will be expecting the customer to add $0.15 in coins.

If a customer has a full-fare MetroCard with $2.25 on it and attempts to pay the fare...

mode. The farebox will take the $2.25 from the MetroCard and will be
expecting the customer to add $0.25 in coins.

MetroCard FAQ

Does this affect all MetroCard products? Weekly, Monthly, Time-based etc.?
Yes, the MTA Metro Card increase is an across the board increase. For more information on MetroCard costs, visit www.mta.com.

If I pay cash in Nassau will I be charged a step-up fee when I transfer to MTA buses/trains?
Yes, the MTA will charge you a 25 cent step-up fee once you board.

I am eligible for half fares and use the MetroCard, will I pay an increase?
Yes. For example, Senior Citizen Metro Card fare will increase to $1.25.

Please note the following information about split-fare transactions:

1. A split-fare transaction is defined as a two-part transaction: the first part is the partial payment of a fare with value from a MetroCard (value that is less than a fare). The second part of the transaction is the customer making up the difference in coins. 
  2. A split-fare transaction does NOT encode a transfer on the customer's MetroCard. The customer has to request a bus transfer from the operator after adding coins to finish paying the fare. 
  3. Customers making fare payment via a split-fare transaction on a bus are not entitled to a free transfer onto the subway. 
  4. Customers cannot use multiple MetroCards to pay a single fare (e.g., a customer cannot use a $2.00 MetroCard and then try to pay the remaining $0.50 with a second MetroCard: it must be paid with coins).

For more information visit:
www.mta.info/nyct/fare/NewFares

For information and fares about the Long Island Rail Road, visit:
www.mta.info/lirr/about/TicketInfo.

I hope this answers some of your questions about the new fare:

LINK: http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger_Information/Fares_and_Passes/index.html

New Increase in MetroCard® fares starting March 3rd, 2013:

Things to know:

• Cash fares on NICE Buses remain at $2.25
  • New Single Ride MetroCard Fare is $2.50.
Starting March 3rd...

If a customer has a Nassau County Social Service card with $1.10 on it and attempts to pay the fare...

mode. That is, the farebox will take the $1.10 from the MetroCard and

will be expecting the customer to add $0.15 in coins.

If a customer has a full-fare MetroCard with $2.25 on it and attempts to pay the fare...

mode. The farebox will take the $2.25 from the MetroCard and will be

expecting the customer to add $0.25 in coins.

MetroCard FAQ

Does this affect all MetroCard products? Weekly, Monthly, Time-based etc.?

Yes, the MTA Metro Card increase is an across the board increase. For more information on MetroCard costs, visit www.mta.com.

If I pay cash in Nassau will I be charged a step-up fee when I transfer to MTA buses/trains?

Yes, the MTA will charge you a 25 cent step-up fee once you board.

I am eligible for half fares and use the MetroCard, will I pay an increase?

Yes. For example, Senior Citizen Metro Card fare will increase to $1.25.

Please note the following information about split-fare transactions:

[*]A split-fare transaction is defined as a two-part transaction: the first part is the partial payment of a fare with value from a MetroCard (value that is less than a fare). The second part of the transaction is the customer making up the difference in coins.

[*]A split-fare transaction does NOT encode a transfer on the customer's MetroCard. The customer has to request a bus transfer from the operator after adding coins to finish paying the fare.

[*]Customers making fare payment via a split-fare transaction on a bus are not entitled to a free transfer onto the subway.

[*]Customers cannot use multiple MetroCards to pay a single fare (e.g., a customer cannot use a $2.00 MetroCard and then try to pay the remaining $0.50 with a second MetroCard: it must be paid with coins

That is gonna be so confusing for riders. I wanna see their faces when the new fare is implemented. Also NICE failed. www.mta.com lol.

That is gonna be so confusing for riders. I wanna see their faces when the new fare is implemented. Also NICE failed. www.mta.com lol.

Oh yeah, how 'bout that. They got it correct the other three times on that page.

For someone who insists on saying how proud he is about his proposals and don't care about any judgement that crosses his, you sure are complaining about that ONE LITTLE REPLY. LET'S IT GO. To be fair, you were trying to be smart thinking the people will object to these fare increases. There are fares in NYC (as you're not aware of...) BUT you don't see us bitching about it much. With that being said, look at my avatar as it pretty says the rest for me.

Thank You, have a good evening and as I said before let's it go, it's a forum.

For someone who insists on saying how proud he is about his proposals and don't care about any judgement that crosses his, you sure are complaining about that ONE LITTLE REPLY. LET'S IT GO. To be fair, you were trying to be smart thinking the people will object to these fare increases. There are fares in NYC (as you're not aware of...) BUT you don't see us bitching about it much. With that being said, look at my avatar as it pretty says the right for me.

Thank You, have a good evening and as I said before let's it go, it's a forum.

I mentioned the step up for pay per ride making metrocard payment a PITA luckily I have the unlimited. Besides he did not need to say that. Then again it is the opposite of reality.

But you have a point I took it way too seriously. carry on.

The step up metrocard payment would be a PITA? It will be the same fare as NYCT, there will be no "Step up " fare paying with a metrocard it will be $2.50 period. And buying an unlimited card will still cost you the new fare. 

It's realllllly easy to explain. Metrocard fare is $2.50, you get a 25 cent discount if you pay with cash. done.

People are always going to bitch but this really the MTA's doing.

Archived