No. 7 line short for Lunar New Year

realizm

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And even when the Yankees played, I remember (4) trains running local in Manhattan, much to the chagrin of Yankee fans coming from the Upper East Side.

I once rode one of those pre-Yankees (4) trains on a weekend when the express track was out. There was one guy who didn't stop bitching the entire way up about how this is going to take forever and he's going to miss the game......going local on Lexington Ave from 42-125 adds 8 minutes to the trip, you jerk.

It's a G.O. people. It's not like the (MTA) want's to permanently shut down the trains. The alternatives being provided are more than capable to transport people. It's not like the service change takes place in Flushing anyway. There's no principle involved here. The work needs to get done, one way or another.

And even when the Yankees played, I remember (4) trains running local in Manhattan, much to the chagrin of Yankee fans coming from the Upper East Side.

I didn't even bother with the (4) when I've gone to Yankees Stadium... The crowds are impossible.  Last time I went I was stuck taking the (D) through the Bronx.  Coming back I had a ride since I was joining a buddy of mine who had invited me there unexpectedly the day of the game so I couldn't really plan in advance like I wanted to.  Luckily the stadium was right there and we all hauled @ss off and ran to the stadium, but how far is it from the BxM4 or MNRR and is it safe over there?

I didn't even bother with the (4) when I've gone to Yankees Stadium... The crowds are impossible.  Last time I went I was stuck taking the (D) through the Bronx.  Coming back I had a ride since I was joining a buddy of mine who had invited me there unexpectedly the day of the game so I couldn't really plan in advance like I wanted to.  Luckily the stadium was right there and we all hauled @ss off and ran to the stadium, but how far is it from the BxM4 or MNRR and is it safe over there?

There's security at the stadium... <_<... that's the last thing you should be worried about.

But let's not get OT, this has to do with the (7), not Yankee Stadium...

It's a G.O. people. It's not like the (MTA) want's to permanently shut down the trains. The alternatives being provided are more than capable to transport people. It's not like the service change takes place in Flushing anyway. There's no principle involved here. The work needs to get done, one way or another.

Good luck trying to explain that to the ignorant masses... You're preaching to the choir.

Just wow!

Very disconcerted about some of the responses here. Seems that some are using 'transferring at Queensboro Plaza' to dodge the public relations aspect of this which I practically tried in vain to at least have some understand until I am blue in the face almost literally. I never saw such anti-cultural apathy on other transit forums (i.e. SubChat).  when this artice was pointed out back in October or so which was why I was even reluctant. to post this article published last year in the first place but I decided to bite the bullet and post this article anyway.

Please be a bit more openminded guys. If the MTA decided to establish GO's during the Mets all Star game or the world series, does that make it right? Many Asians who do not post on MTA Forums I'm sure are just as aggravated as I am over this. TRANSFERRING AT QBP IS BESIDES THE POINT.

Nethertheless all opinions are well taken by me. I think this issue has been thoroughly discussed. Myself and other onlookers who lurk here got the point concerning the popular opinion here regarding this particular issue discussed.

Which of course I don't agree with.

I

ttcsubwayfan, on 11 Jan 2013 - 10:29, said:

No one complained.

Meanwhile, Flushing continues to have service. So what is the issue here?

Public relations issue. Do we see the Chinese community complain during GO's on any ordinary routine weekend? As for normal Sunday service on holidays in general, we are talking about NYC. Considering that we have the three largest Chinese communities in the entire United States merits consideration.

The stats are there for confirmation. Google it.

Edit on quote: (glitch)

Public relations issue. Do we see the Chinese community complain during GO's on any ordinary routine weekend? As for normal Sunday service on holidays in general, we are talking about NYC. Considering that we have the three largest Chinese communities in the entire United States merits consideration.

The stats are there for confirmation. Google it.

Edit on quote: (glitch)

As far as I'm concerned this shouldn't be any different from what they do for other communities as others have said above... Either do it for all groups or no one because then you open up a can of worms.... Why is being done for one group and not the other? It's a legitimate gripe for the reasons you've mentioned.

The people are over blowing the issue. You'd think the (7) was suspended entirely and replaced with a bus. But it's just suspended west of QBP. (Q) trains are being extended to Queens to help boost frequency on the Astoria line to accommodate the extra riders. There's also a fairly large Asian community in Brooklyn, so perhaps now instead of getting off the (N)(Q) at 42nd-TS, they'll just get off at QBP. What is so end of the world about that? I mean are we talking about over 30,000-40,000 riders compared to the amount of people going to the baseball games each day?

Ummm .... because it is a double standard? Catering for one group and not another? I grew up in Brooklyn Chinatown I see the point you are making GC but we cant leave Flushing in the cold. That' is like a slap in the face that has alot of people wondering.

The people are over blowing the issue. You'd think the (7) was suspended entirely and replaced with a bus. But it's just suspended west of QBP. (Q) trains are being extended to Queens to help boost frequency on the Astoria line to accommodate the extra riders. There's also a fairly large Asian community in Brooklyn, so perhaps now instead of getting off the (N)(Q) at 42nd-TS, they'll just get off at QBP. What is so end of the world about that? I mean are we talking about over 30,000-40,000 riders compared to the amount of people going to the baseball games each day?

I think they're just asking for equal treatment like other groups get...

One of the reasons why we reactions like that sometimes is because of the model minority stereotype prevalent in American society. Sometimes Asians are refered to as token Americans or as invisible ones. Many of the haters expect Asians to shut up and when they do stand for their communities they get scorned at. The pressure is real. I experience it even.

One of the reasons why we reactions like that sometimes is because of the model minority stereotype prevalent in American society. Sometimes Asians are refered to as token Americans or as invisible ones. Many of the haters expect Asians to shut up and when they do stand for their communities they get scorned at. The pressure is real. I experience it even.

I would say there is some truth to that, not just in this case but in general.  I've found that this transit community, generally speaking does not care very much when "the other" is affected... The same thing happens when the disabled community is talked about as well.  Unless you're part of the majority in terms of riders you're invisible... It's called public transit for a reason... It can't cater to everyone, but at the same time it should be as inclusive as possible.

I can't believe you're sitting up here comparing Toronto to New York City.... Two very different places... 

You're missing the point. The city in which I live (close to Toronto, but not in Toronto) has a large population of Christians and you don't see any of them throwing a fit because the transit doesn't run on their holidays.

Everybody is acting as if there will be no service in Flushing at all. And for the record, a quick search on Google Maps indicates a 13 minute ride from Times Square to Queensborough Plaza regardless of whether you take the (7) or the (N) / (Q). It's an across-the-platform transfer, nothing like changing from 8th Avenue to the Shuttle at Times Square.

You're missing the point. The city in which I live (close to Toronto, but not in Toronto) has a large population of Christians and you don't see any of them throwing a fit because the transit doesn't run on their holidays.

Everybody is acting as if there will be no service in Flushing at all. And for the record, a quick search on Google Maps indicates a 13 minute ride from Times Square to Queensborough Plaza regardless of whether you take the (7) or the (N) / (Q). It's an across-the-platform transfer, nothing like changing from 8th Avenue to the Shuttle at Times Square.

I'm not missing the point at all... You're trying to compare two different cities which operate very differently.  There is no other place like New York City... None... I realize that Toronto is the financial capital and is the biggest city in Canada, but Canada as whole operates very differently from the way we do things here in the States, especially New York City, so you can't compare the two at all, especially not when it comes to our transit systems.  There is really no transit system that I can think of quite frankly that can be compared to the one here in New York City.  New York NEVER shuts down unless there is some sort of emergency like a hurricane or something and even then there are still people out and about.  

I think they're just asking for equal treatment like other groups get...

Unfortunately some people are using the transfer issue to show their disregard for cultural holidays that millions of Asian NYers celebrate each blessed year. I can see that clearly. No matter how we all try to reason with some common sense. It's like hitting your head on a brick wall it can get pretty frustrating even when one tries to show some reasonableness and understanding in the counterarguments proposed in this discussion. Maybe I should have posted this on an Asian American forum instead where I would not see such infighting and people going off topic with unnecessary GO stats or service diversion transfer information as if I don't realize that already.

My local transit has no service on any holidays... Christmas, Easter, etc.

No one complained.

Meanwhile, Flushing continues to have service. So what is the issue here?

I'll mention it again, because people act like Flushing is exactly the same on Lunar New Year as it is every other day of the year.

There will be no other convenient way to get to Flushing. Roads will be closed, buses will be rerouted somewhere else, and the Chinese vans won't be running, which on a normal Lunar New Year is a giant strain on the 7 anyways. It's a big retail hub with a large residential population and the tenth-busiest subway station in the subway. Yes, other neighborhoods have cultural holidays too, but looking at it from a non-cultural perspective, it's not like most of the entire street network is shut down in those neighborhoods on holidays. In Flushing, it essentially is, because to get to Downtown Flushing everyone has to funnel into two roads, both of which will be closed.

Again, they probably shouldn't interrupt the GO, but service notices in other languages (Chinese, Korean) in neighborhoods likely to be affected would be nice (Elmhurst, Chinatown, Koreatown, Sunset Park etc.). Additional service might also be warranted between QBP and Main St, but that's really the MTA's call.

Botehpanda on Posted Today, 11:27 AM

Again, they probably shouldn't interrupt the GO, but service notices in other languages (Chinese, Korean) in neighborhoods likely to be affected would be nice (Elmhurst, Chinatown, Koreatown, Sunset Park etc.). Additional service might also be warranted between QBP and Main St, but that's really the MTA's call.

IMHO I dont think it's a lack of common sense on the part of the Capital Constructions planners and cooridinators (for lack of a better word). It's more like the fact that they simply couldn't give a shit. That's the impression I am getting. As I've mentioned before postponing one GO will not delay the CBTC project. No offense to the MTA operators and conductors here, they are simply doing their jobs. Just making a general statement.

Archived