No. 7 line short for Lunar New Year

realizm

Yeah, like how there were only 3 FasTrack nights on the (4)(5)(6) (Mon-Wed nights) in early Sept last year, due to a Madonna concert that Thursday, although that week was coming off a labor day weekend.

Yes, the Madonna concert was scheduled, but as the Giants had won the Super Bowl, that Thursday (9/6) was originally supposed to also have the NFL season-opening game at MetLife Stadium against the Cowboys (later moved to Wednesday 9/5 due to the Democratic Convention).  The (MTA) probably could have gotten by without the Lexington line running if it were just the Madonna concert (perhaps add some special (C) trains starting at Yankee Stadium to accomodate those looking for lower Manhattan at Fulton Street and have a few extra trains on the (D) and the Broadway lines (including extending (R) service) to accomodate Lexington riders south of 28th Street or so since after there the Broadway Line comes to the east side), but since the NFL season opener was originally also supposed to be that night (not moved until AFTER FASTTRACK was scheduled), the two events combined would have made it difficult, especially with Giants fans coming back from MetLife Stadium around the same time people were heading back from the Madonna concert.  The (MTA) could not have known that the NFL would later move the game at the time this was done.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This should end this thread if they still carry out the G.O.

Well let's see how things turns out as the community responds when Lunar New Year takes place GO or not, and members can then discuss this further. But yeah all the points made for and against have been made abundantly clear not to mention the clutter I'm seeing from some here (not you) over things that has absolutely nothing to do with the article. (What does the (4) or (D) during game season has anything to do with Chinese New year?)

• 3 weeks later...

In latest news the MTA made a formal commitment to not disrupt Luner New Year effective 2014. Community leaders however are asking for increased service as well for next year.

http://www.qchron.com/editions/north/no-resolution-for-lunar-new-year/article_4eae70b2-1785-5b0b-84af-0ade79cf449f.html

The MTA has already promised to suspend track work on Feb. 8' date=' 2014, during next year’s annual Lunar New Year parade. But the business community is asking for more, according to a letter sent by Flushing lawmakers to the MTA.

“While we do appreciate the MTA’s early commitment to not undertake work on the 7 line the day of the parade, after consultation with our business community and local leaders, it is abundantly clear that your offer falls short of the economic needs of our local small businesses and Flushing residents’ expectations for the 2014 Lunar New Year,” the letter signed by Congresswoman Grace Meng, state Sen. Toby Stavisky, Assemblyman Ron Kim and Councilman Peter Koo, all Democrats from Flushing[/quote']

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if it's obvious in this photo ( to those who can read either Chinese or Korean)…

IMG_20130131_171612_671.jpg

…but while many have been using the term "Chinese New Year" interchangeably with "Lunar New Year," the Korean text uses the term "아시아인의 신년" (漢字: Asia人의新年) which roughly breaks down into "Asian people's new year." (Someone who can read the Chinese poster should make a few remarks.) The Lunar New Year is also celebrated by the Mongolians, Tibetans, and Vietnamese as well. The Japanese had it and may still have it. (Someone should confirm this too.)

Looks like a lot more than just Chinese people might be shafted by this service change.

The Japanese had it and may still have it. (Someone should confirm this too.)

Looks like a lot more than just Chinese people might be shafted by this service change.

Japanese New year is same as with us APA's, January 1st according to thre Gregorian calender, but traditionally it falls tecnically on the same dates as Chinese New Year for the old skool.

Is that a typo, or did they plan that far ahead?

It's plans slated for 2014.

My in-laws celebrate their Japanese new years on January 1st so does my lady. But we still like to go to Chinese New Year for the fun in it.

Addendum: The Chinese refer it to as "亚洲农历新年" which breaks down to Asian (referring to the geographical area) agricultural calendar new year.

Japanese New year is same as with us APA's, January 1st according to thre Gregorian calender

Damn those Dutch, Portuguese, Germans, and Americans!

Addendum: The Chinese refer it to as "亚洲农历新年" which breaks down to Asian (referring to the geographical area) agricultural calendar new year.

Damn those Dutch, Portuguese, Germans, and Americans!

I hear you in all seriosness, there was alot of western colonialism during that time, alot of our heritage was lost. The communist movements asw well as the days of Japanese occupztion messed things up even further. The burning up of temples and books and rampant human abuses I cannot repeat here.

On the flip side the Japanese were abused by us Americans, the internship camps and the bombings. My ladies grandmother had told us some horrific stories which was sureal to say the least, living the bombings first han as a survivor. Then we had the so called comfort stations which the US military actually endorsed.

Nothing new to you, you know about this then me. Just sayin' for the record these facts.

I love the irony in this whole situation. They fight for service to stay the same, spending money and time, and win, mind you, and mother nature just smacks them in the face with this storm, guaranteeing that business levels will be down anyway due to many people just staying home to avoid the weather conditions.

Mother nature does not discriminate. That's for sure. It is what it is. I would imagine the cleanup will be quick, by the middle of the week if not sooner, Flushing should be back in order. Problem is the service disruptions through Monday due to the aftereffects of this damn storm. Oh the irony....

BTW the sun's out as I write this. I guess the storm is over. I take that back. the neighborhood (and the IRT Flushing Line) should recover sooner then we originally anticipated.

How about making a bus route from 71st-Forest Hills to Flushing via Jewel Ave and Main Street. Maybe a number like Q89. I'm not sure if this has been said before.

Wrong thread? lol

That duplicates the Q44/Q20 and the Q64 - From Jewel Av, there are tons of buses that intersect the Q64 that aren't that hard to walk to, and from Forest Hills it would probably be faster to take the train.

Wrong thread? lol

That duplicates the Q44/Q20 and the Q64 - From Jewel Av, there are tons of buses that intersect the Q64 that aren't that hard to walk to, and from Forest Hills it would probably be faster to take the train.

I agree. Last time I went from Forest Hills to Flushing, it took about a half hour. I can't imagine that the bus would be faster.

I love the irony in this whole situation. They fight for service to stay the same, spending money and time, and win, mind you, and mother nature just smacks them in the face with this storm, guaranteeing that business levels will be down anyway due to many people just staying home to avoid the weather conditions.

You're actually pretty wrong on that one. I got to Chinatown before 9am today and the streets were already bustling. Snow didn't seem to slow down the economic activities of Chinatown at all. Trains were running pretty normally. I took the (D) from Coney Island to Grand Street without any incident or switching to local.

Wrong thread? lol

It is the right thread. This is for Flushing, so people going to Lunar New Year have another option.

It is the right thread. This is for Flushing, so people going to Lunar New Year have another option.

Not to beat a dead horse, but during the Lunar New Year Parade (and I have no idea when that is, because the date keeps changing every year), Main St and Kissena Blvd are closed to traffic, so again, there will be no alternative to train service into Downtown Flushing.

I don't remember how long the stretches of road closure are, but I'm pretty sure that at least the stretches of Main St and Kissena Blvd between Northern Blvd and Franklin Av are closed.

Archived