LIRR train strikes vehicle on tracks; no injuries

Burrstone

Associated Press

http://online.wsj.co...fbc1cc36e3.html

NEW YORK — The Long Island Railroad says an eastbound train has struck a vehicle on the tracks just east of Wyandanch.

Suffolk County police say no one was injured in the crash that happened just after 6 p.m. Thursday.

The railroad says service has been temporarily suspended on the Ronkonkoma Branch east of Farmingdale.

—Copyright 2013 Associated Press

I was on Commack Rd near the LIRR crossing shortly after this accident, was able to get this pic...

r6z57r.jpg

Good pic! LOL at the watermark. There's more information here:

LINK: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Deer-Park-LIRR-Train-Hits-Car-Tracks-Ronkonkoma-Delays-185608302.html

deer+park+lirr+train+hits+car.jpg

A Long Island Rail Road train struck an unoccupied train on the tracks in Deer Park Thursday evening, and the crash is causing some delays, authorities say.

A driver who had rented a car from a Hertz office near the Deer Park LIRR station was crossing the tracks when the car stalled at about 6 p.m., according to MTA police. The driver jumped out of the car before the train hit the car.

No one was hurt, police said.

Delays of up to 75 minutes were being reported on the Ronkonkoma branch.

I didn't want the news stealing my pic. :D

LOL @ NBC news, "A train struck an unocupied train" I guess they don't proofread their articles.

And I hope the driver got the insurance! You have to be a real idiot or really not paying attention to turn onto the the tracks there! i go over this RR crossing once a week on the way to see my grandma and there doesn't appear to be anything confusing about it.

At first I thought it was a car stopped on the tracks (on the road) at the crossing as people don't respect the crossing and often stop on the tracks when traffic backs up from the light, I always feared that someone would be on the tracks and have nowhere to go when a train comes.

Indeed! I couldn't see the other side of the car but I thought the train would have done more damage, granted the Deer Park stop is near there but the train appears to go by there very fast. I was exepecting to see the car destroyed, the train operator must have had a very good eye or was warned before and stopped the train. When I first went past emergency crews were working near the car I thought they were working on someone in the car, I wasn;t sure at first if a person or a car was struck on the tracks beause there were so many emergency personal on the tracks. When I saw it was a car my stomach turned, I'm glad no one was injured.

It took about 15 min to get to the other side by going around side streets, as I got around to the other side LIPA and a LIRR crew in a van were just arriving, I assume to cut power to the 3rd rail to remove the car from the track and inspect the rail for damage?

Archived