HOP ON! MTA restores old bus routes lost in cuts and extends several more

Harry

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I've done both many times; that's not the problem..... I just want to ride the 64 out to CI for the first time in a long time.

As far as taking the x28..... I would - If the B64 ended at 86th/4th like it used to.

Please no lol I would kick someone in the face if that happened lol

I've gotten used to it. It happened just in time for me to move to Staten Island and continue to go to school. Plus, most of my friends live along the B1.

I actually wish they would re-route the B64 to the old terminus and vice versa for that very reason... I used to use that from the X28.... 

I've gotten used to it. It happened just in time for me to move to Staten Island and continue to go to school. Plus, most of my friends live along the B1.

I figured that it (the B1) was of some benefit to you for you to make that prior comment.

I actually wish they would re-route the B64 to the old terminus and vice versa for that very reason... I used to use that from the X28.... 

I also think that the B64 should return to 86th/4th.... for the sake that it eliminated xferring from the (N) from to the (R) to get to Bay Ridge to get to SI.... Instead of (Q)>(N)>(R)>S79, I would do (Q)>B64>S79..... Any commute that involves me not dealing with the (R), I'm content with.....

But now that the B1 has flourished the way that it has, fat chance of that happening...

I also think that the B64 should return to 86th/4th.... for the sake that it eliminated xferring from the (N) from to the (R) to get to Bay Ridge to get to SI.... Instead of (Q)> (N)> (R)>S79, I would do (Q)>B64>S79..... Any commute that involves me not dealing with the (R), I'm content with.....

But now that the B1 has flourished the way that it has, fat chance of that happening...

LOL...

Well, there's nothing saying that sending the B64 back to 86th & 4th has to require the B1 to be sent back to Bay Ridge Avenue. Bay Ridge Avenue should've been served by a seperate bus anyway.

Well, there's nothing saying that sending the B64 back to 86th & 4th has to require the B1 to be sent back to Bay Ridge Avenue. Bay Ridge Avenue should've been served by a seperate bus anyway.

Exactly.

When I proposed a through 86th Street in1978 called the B86 from Shore Road and Third Avenue up Shore Road and along the entire length of 86th Street, as I previously mentioned, the first alternative I studied and eliminated, was a flip flop of the B64 with the then B34. My B64 would have run from Coney Island along Bath to 18th Avenue, left on Bath, right on Cropsey, around the park, up 7th Avenue left on 86th to Fourth Avenue, returning on. 92 St. That way if someone on Cropsey between 14th and 18th Avenue would have twice as many buses to get to the subway, the B64 to 86th Street or the B8 to 86th Street.

There really weren't any disadvantages. You still had the 86th Street route, you still could get to 86th Street with the B64 and you had better service on Cropsey. Those who had to walk an additional block from Bath to Cropsey were balanced by those saving a block. The Bay Ridge Avenue portion of the B1 would have hooked up with the B23 to minimize costs or else extended east on 65th St. That would have permitted through Ft Hamilton Parkway and 13th Avenue routes. But it was so much easier to just flip flop two routes, and the MTA always takes the easiest way out, rather than trying to solve problems. I don't think we will ever see changes again on the scale of 1978 when about 10 routes were changed on the same day. Too massive of an undertaking.

(Of course, the B86 could have started at 86th and Shore Rd instead if the B9 were also extended to operate the length of Shore Rd, and then the B4 could be cut back to 4th Avenue.)

Archived