Other sports thread 2013 i.e soccer, boxing, tennis, golf, WWE and more

Shortline Bus

New thread to never ending world of sports for 2013. Feel free to discuss any sports news/topics in WWE Wrestling, boxing, tennis, golf NASCAR/Auto Racing and of course the world's most popular sport football(soccer). :o:D

First on serious matter here story of how AC Milan players walked out of a match after one of their players was subject to racial taunts. reactions to ongoing racial problems plaunging european soccer?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/soccer-team-quits-game-racist-chants-article-1.1232372

Not at all surprised... This has been going on for years in Spain and Italy in particular and also in England. It's not only racial taunts but regional taunts as well. Fans are passionate about soccer and they use any tactic they can to give their team an advantage, including racial taunts. All of the sanctions in the world won't stop it because people are going to be people which means sometimes that they're @ssholes...

So this is what you PM'd me about....

Yeah, I heard about those AC Milan players walking out due to racist taunts.... Not surprised either.

Don't have a real reaction to it because I don't see anything changing; that's how some of them hardcore soccer fans are.... The irony is that I'm starting to get into soccer a little more; all the Messi talks got me back into it.... Anyway, I try to catch the repeats of the chelsea games on YES......

lol... I remember the last soccer match I went to when I lived in Italy... It was Firenze vs Bari... Basically a North vs South game and it was quite intense, though Bari was far outmatched, they only last 2-0. My father's family is from Southern Italy (Sicily) so I was secretly rooting for Bari even though I was living in Florence in Northern Italy. Of course I didn't let anyone know I was rooting for them or I could've had some serious problems because riots are quite common at these games so I made sure to keep my cheering to myself. lol Anywho, all throughout the game Firenze fans in the stands were yelling "BARI!! BARI!! MERDA!! MERDA!!!" Basically translates as Bari! Bari! Pieces of sh*t!! These soccer teams represent not just teams for some fans but they're like their identity if you will and it heavily relates to the demographic and socio-economics of the cities that these teams play in. For example Milan is known to be a wealthy Northern Italy city and so their two soccer teams AC Milan and Inter aren't just wealthy and highly competitive by chance. Since Milan is wealthy and seen as the best by some Italians (particularly Northern Italians), these teams can't be anything but the best so they go out and buy (yes buy) the most expensive players around to ensure that they're "the best" every year. The racist epithets and chants go with the territory of this sense of superiority... Historically certain regions in Italy and Spain have generally been viewed as wealthier and better if you will and these teams are essentially supposed be yet another example of the wealth and power that these cities have. The "Ultras" as they're called (the real die hard fans) are often big contributors financially to these teams and travel from place to place following these teams around, so the idea of these fans going away isn't happening because of the financial support that they provide. At the end of the day money still matters no matter how racist these folks are and that's what counts.

Game 1 of the ODI series vs Sri Lanka has wrapped up with the Aussies coming out on top by 107 runs.

The Australian squad was dubbed the B-team during the week as most of the top players were given a rest. However they put on a good show with a Man of the match performance by Hughes 112 in his first ODI, Bailey and Hussey were also clinical with the bat scoreing 89 and 60 respectively. At the end of Australia's 50 overs they had set the tourists 306 to win. Sri Lanka while showed signs sloppy running between the wickets cost thier side dearly(including a Diamond Duck from Thirimanne) and were all out for 198 in the 40th over.

AUS: 5/305 (50)
SL: 198 (40)

It was slightly intrupted by a pitch invader who decided to have a bowl on the pitch.
https://twitter.com/kleinyheraldsun/status/289680253205479424/photo/1

That delivery cost him $8,500. That's the fine for entering the area. No doubt a ban would be in there as well.

In Aussie Rules:

www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-demons-look-for-new-motivational-song-for-2013/story-e6frg1xu-1226551368889

Why on earth does the AFL even think this is a good idea. Teams at the moment when they run out through the banners have thier own theme songs anyway

It's bad enough with some of the stuff they do pre game. Most people just want to sit there and relax. I want to sit there and read the AFL record. Maybe watch the Name-a-game on the big screens(Only if it's an old game) In most cases anyway the theme song with the crowd cheering behind you would be more than enough motivation.

• 4 weeks later...

It's still the off season in Aussie Rules but I'm guessing the AFL are praying that the NAB cup and Season 2013 could some a little quicker.

Probably one of the biggest stories this year had just begun.

Yesterday the Essendon football club had a press conference announcing that they had asked the AFL and ASADA(The Australian sport anti-doping association) to investigate the inappropriate use of supplements in 2012.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-05/speculation-swirls-around-dons

It revolves around the Essendon fitness staff in particular thier former sports scientist Stephen Dank:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sports-scientist-at-centre-of-essendon-drugs-probe-stephen-dank-claims-jabs-were-clean/story-fnelctok-1226572105326

Then today the Australian Crime Commission comes out with a report saying the usage of performance enhancing drugs occurs in Australian sport:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/illegal-drugs-and-links-to-organised-crime-widespread-in-australian-sport-according-to-shocking-acc-report/story-fnelctok-1226572459574

You can keep up to day with the latest here:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-07/latest-updates

Archived