Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Armani

What Bus Routes Would You Extend And Why

Name some bus routes you would extend and why. For example, I would extend the B14 to the Grand Army Plaza because I feel that this route is kinda short though....that's just my opinon

Edited by Armani

Name some bus routes you would extend and why. For example, I would extend the B14 to the Grand Army Plaza because I feel that this route is kinda short though....that's just my opinon

Q-18 To Fresh Pond Rd and Metropolitan Avenue : why, Because it will improve service along 69th Street Serve more Connections to the Q58 and Q67 Also give a connection the Q54 and Q38

Combine the B39 with the M21 Because the B39 Is kinda useless being a bridge route (you can just take the (J)(M)(Z) for that

Extend the Q55 to Jamaica Station (possibly for additional service)

Q29 To Jamaica Avenue Via Forest Park (additional Connections and a longer route then its current kinda short route)

I would find a way to extend the south beginning of the M4 to line up with the Penn Station exits instead of being next to 6 Ave

You have to consider that when a route is short, there's a reason for it being short. It gets enough usage to justify its existance, even though it's short. Routes like the B42 & B74 are little shuttles within Canarsie & Coney Island respectively, and yet they are both efficient routes.

You also have to consider that generally, the longer the route, the more delay-prone it is. You could hurt the core ridership by extending it just because it looks too short. The number of riders waiting for the B14 at Utica Avenue is much greater than the number that would be waiting by the Grand Army Plaza, so if there's a screwup by the Grand Army Plaza, you have a bunch of pissed off commuters at Utica Avenue (I'm not sure how much traffic there is by Grand Army Plaza, but still).

• Upvote 3

You have to consider that when a route is short, there's a reason for it being short. It gets enough usage to justify its existance, even though it's short. Routes like the B42 & B74 are little shuttles within Canarsie & Coney Island respectively, and yet they are both efficient routes.

You also have to consider that generally, the longer the route, the more delay-prone it is. You could hurt the core ridership by extending it just because it looks too short. The number of riders waiting for the B14 at Utica Avenue is much greater than the number that would be waiting by the Grand Army Plaza, so if there's a screwup by the Grand Army Plaza, you have a bunch of pissed off commuters at Utica Avenue (I'm not sure how much traffic there is by Grand Army Plaza, but still).

I learned that people are very admant to change routes like those as I learned after a proposal or two regarding the B74 and an extension to Kings Plaza.

I'm still in favor of service from South Brooklyn to Kings Plaza as I do feel there is a need, so I think the route would work fine on it's own, but service wouldbe at a decreased level (roughly 30 min freq).

Regarding the topic at hand, I do have some suggestions on route extensions.

Extend the S55 from Bloomingdale Road to the Brickton Mall, providing direct service to Bricktown for S.I. Mall patrons and residents along Amboy Road.

And I did always say the B24 could be broken into two sections with two other Brooklyn routes taking each, like the B48 and another route. Actually with the MTA somewhat restoring service levels on the B24 i'm on the fence of splitting it, but still.

The B24 to Williamsburg Plaza via Manhattan ave.

And it would seem others have proposals to benefit the usefullness of the B24.

Edited by Turbo19

I would find a way to extend the south beginning of the M4 to line up with the Penn Station exits instead of being next to 6 Ave

Hmm such a small change that seems so feasible, but it seems like the (MTA) must have a reason to not have done that already.

Edit: Oh crap, I didn't even see this was locked. The thread didn't auto update for me. Sorry.

Edited by Brett