How much time would the BXM4 Express save over the (D)/(4)?

YankeesPwnMets

From Bedford Park Blvd, how much time would the express bus save over the subway? Or are the (D)/(4) trains at the nearby Bedford Pk Blvd station faster? Just wondering since I'll be visiting friends who live in the area and I was wondering which would be the quickest way back into Midtown...

I can give an answer to this, but aside from what via mentioned, I need to know around what times of the day you plan on doing this..... I'm not asking that to be anal, but it does make a difference.... There are times where the BxM4 gets stuck up there coming from Woodlawn (before it even hits the concourse), and FWIW, there's times where it (the BxM4) coasts w/i the Bronx, and crawls traveling down 5th......

Sorry for leaving it out, I rarely take express buses and I was hoping that you and VG8 would be able to help me with this ;)

I plan to get on the bus at either 3 or 4PM on a Friday afternoon and get off at the last stop, 5th Ave/26 St

I guess you mean at 3 or 4pm going back to the city from the Bronx... If that's the case you'd be hitting rush hour traffic or pretty close to it so you may or may not get stuck a little bit. Traffic can really vary during this time of year so it's hard to say but if you're not in a hurry and prefer a more relaxing ride stick with the BxM4. Those Yonkers drivers, most of them make an effort to get to your destination quickly.

Sorry for leaving it out, I rarely take express buses and I was hoping that you and VG8 would be able to help me with this ;)

I plan to get on the bus at either 3 or 4PM on a Friday afternoon and get off at the last stop, 5th Ave/26 St

No worries.

pfft, oh yeah, you're gonna be on a Bxm4 that's cruises down GC & stalls once it gets to manhattan..... If you can get through the 60's to 34th st relatively unscathed, you'll be good to go.... I don't know the exact time the BxM4 reaches BPB, but you may be on a trip that just avoids the "grunt" of the 5th av traffic, esp. on a friday.... If you choose this mode/method, try to catch the bus as early as you can from BPB around the mid afternoon hour....

That same grunt of traffic on 5th I gotta put up with after I come from midtown w/ co-workers, taking the BM's back to Brooklyn.....

Since you're going to (the area around) 26th st/5th you may be better off staying on the express bus.... It's not worth it to take the D from BPB to 34th & then to (ughk) walk from the manhattan mall area.... That, or xferring at 34th for the R to 28th or 23rd (whichever one will leave you closest)..... I know the area around 26th & [b'way/madison/5th] very well, since I often hit up a hobby shop around there..... I don't like having to deal with the R, so if you want to discredit my advice, feel free to do so....

Via is right w/ the YON b/o's though, they do haul ass on Manhattan's streets during the rush (them & those CP b/o's)

don't even bother just use the (4) I know cause I used the (4) and the BXM4.

don't even bother just use the (4) I know cause I used the (4) and the BXM4.

You mean the 4 to the 6.... Since when does the 4 stop in the East 20's during a normal weekday?

---------------------

- SB BxM4 b/w BPB & 26th - around 45 mins (add another 10 if you get caught in 5th av traffic)

- D b/w BPB & 34th - more or less the same 45 mins... the D has a tendency to crawl in the Bronx, as you might know...

- 4 b/w BPB & 42nd - more or less about 30-35 mins

The 4 gets you to midtown faster than the D, I'll agree with that, but since you're going to the area around 23rd (it looks like), you're either gonna be doing some transferring or some walking after you'd take the train.... The point is, the BxM4 is definitely comparable to taking the subway.....

If the 4 had a stop at 23rd, I'd have told you to just take the 4 also, but it seems as if our friend QJT don't know what the hell he's talking about.....

Anyway, you (YankspwnMets) know exactly where you're going, so you can compare & contrast & come to a conclusion which mode you wanna take....

You mean the 4 to the 6.... Since when does the 4 stop in the East 20's during a normal weekday?YES!!!!!!! DO I HAVE TO DETAIL EVERYTHING???

---------------------

- SB BxM4 b/w BPB & 26th - around 45 mins (add another 10 if you get caught in 5th av traffic)

- D b/w BPB & 34th - more or less the same 45 mins... the D has a tendency to crawl in the Bronx, as you might know...

- 4 b/w BPB & 42nd - more or less about 30-35 mins

The 4 gets you to midtown faster than the D, I'll agree with that, but since you're going to the area around 23rd (it looks like), you're either gonna be doing some transferring or some walking after you'd take the train.... The point is, the BxM4 is definitely comparable to taking the subway.....

If the 4 had a stop at 23rd, I'd have told you to just take the 4 also, but it seems as if our friend QJT don't know what the hell he's talking about.....your kidding right?

Anyway, you (YankspwnMets) know exactly where you're going, so you can compare & contrast & come to a conclusion which mode you wanna take....

(4) to the (6) is much faster than the BXM4 since they are usually timed at 42nd street that was what I meant stop being so literal and actually think honestly if you thought I meant (4) only they you are really on some strong ish and need help. THINK BEFORE YOU bash. Why do I have to give every detail for you to actually get it you can't be that dumb. Bxm4 is useful if you want a whole bus to yourself.

(4) to the (6) is much faster than the BXM4 since they are usually timed at 42nd street that was what I meant stop being so literal and actually think honestly if you thought I meant (4) only they you are really on some strong ish and need help. THINK BEFORE YOU bash. Why do I have to give every detail for you to actually get it you can't be that dumb. Bxm4 is useful if you want a whole bus to yourself.

Being literal?

You son of a bitch, he's not trying to get to 42nd street.... Why would he say he'd take the express bus to the last stop (26th st) if he's tryna get to 42nd..... Yes you have to "detail everything" if someone's on here asking which is quicker.... As if the transfer to the 6 is negligible? The f*ck is wrong with you....

Don't pin it on me because you failed to point out the transfer to the 6...

And I aint "kidding" you with a damn thing.

Being literal?

You son of a bitch, he's not trying to get to 42nd street.... Why would he say he'd take the express bus to the last stop (26th st) if he's tryna get to 42nd..... Yes you have to "detail everything" if someone's on here asking which is quicker.... You can't just ignore the transfer to the 6 off the 4... The f*ck is wrong with you.....

Don't pin it on me because you failed to point that out... And I aint "kidding" you with a damn thing.

I will break it down in SIMPLE TERMS (4) TO (6) GETS YOU TO 26TH FASTER THAN THE BXM4 IN MOST CASES HOWEVER. BXM4 is a waste of money why pay $5.50 for a line that doesn't even have a highway segment? Ridership numbers even reflect this point very well. Numbers guys like checkmate13 know how low this line carries it makes BM4 look loaded.

I will break it down in SIMPLE TERMS (4) TO (6) GETS YOU TO 26TH FASTER THAN THE BXM4 IN MOST CASES HOWEVER. BXM4 is a waste of money why pay $5.50 for a line that doesn't even have a highway segment?

1) Having a "highway segment" is 100% irrelevant

2) If the man was hard up on money like that, why would he profess to WANTING to take the express bus.....

Interesting waste if money was no object then why not Metro-north? ;)

MetroNorth isn't the answer for everything. Its location isn't suitable for everyone and in most cases you have to make time to get there. Even in this case I find that station sort of out of the way. Even so, once you get to it, you've got to transfer to the subway once you get into Grand Central anyway. Transfers=TIME LOST. Something folks always forget...

As others said, The BxM4 is pretty quick in the Bronx but will be slowed down in Manhattan...

Not quite. Sometimes, the BxM4 could crawl on the Concourse since there is only one lane in the service road.

Not quite. Sometimes, the BxM4 could crawl on the Concourse since there is only one lane in the service road.

IT's useless ridership reflects that. Only a measly 414 daily weekday riders truly embarrassing for a BXM line since BXMs in general tend to be well used except well this one. OP prepare to be very lonely don't be surprised if your all by yourself. @VG8 you obviously don't know much about the BXM4's route most of the route is near the (4) or (D) and the northernmost part is closer to MNRR which got additional service rendering BXM4 less relevant along with it's closeness to fordham so your time lost argument is not valid with this route in particular. But it holds true on other lines like the 1&2 or the 6 in some cases. Especially on the BXM8. @B35 Your right I should have suggested Metro-north earlier and yes it is the answer for woodlawn and most of norwood and bedford park and fordham. BXM4 is utterly useless At least when compared to the alternative options used. OP would test all the modes and figure out the best option eventually.

However I will try it out more often to find out why it's ridership is so low compared to other lines.

IT's useless ridership reflects that. Only a measly 414 daily weekday riders truly embarrassing for a BXM line since BXMs in general tend to be well used except well this one. OP prepare to be very lonely don't be surprised if your all by yourself. @VG8 you obviously don't know much about the BXM4's route most of the route is near the (4) or (D) and the northernmost part is closer to MNRR which got additional service rendering BXM4 less relevant along with it's closeness to fordham so your time lost argument is not valid with this route in particular. But it holds true on other lines like the 1&2 or the 6 in some cases.

Uh excuse me but I've been to Yankees' Stadium a few times so I'm quite familiar with the area... The MNRR over there is only quicker if you're right near the station, otherwise it's a schlepp... Once you get there the ride is quick but getting there may take time. Combine that along with an additional transfer or two and it certainly isn't all that quick. It's the same crap they pull with the MNRR stations in Riverdale, talking about how it's only 22-25 minutes to Grand Central. Meanwhile it may take you 20 minutes just to get to the station depending on your location and since parking is not great there most folks are forced to use the shuttle, so I know very well what I'm talking about.

Uh excuse me but I've been to Yankees' Stadium a few times so I'm quite familiar with the area... The MNRR over there is only quicker if you're right near the station, otherwise it's a schlepp... Once you get there the ride is quick but getting there may take time. Combine that along with an additional transfer or two and it certainly isn't all that quick. It's the same crap they pull with the MNRR stations in Riverdale, talking about how it's only 22-25 minutes to Grand Central. Meanwhile it may take you 20 minutes just to get to the station depending on your location and since parking is not great there most folks are forced to use the shuttle, so I know very well what I'm talking about.

one word (4) train DONE the numbers don't lie this is the only MTA express bus with full-time service that has LESS than 500 daily riders. Not a single MTA NYCT of bus co line has both full-time off-peak service AND a measly 414 riders the only one with less than 500. Several rush hr only lines have more ridership than this line it's useless plain and simple don't try and sugar coat it. http://www.mta.info/...dership_bus.htm

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA.htm

compare its real sad.

one word (4) train DONE the numbers don't lie this is the only MTA express bus with full-time service that has LESS than 500 daily riders. Not a single MTA NYCT of bus co line has both full-time off-peak service AND a measly 414 riders the only one with less than 500. Several rush hr only lines have more ridership than this line it's useless plain and simple don't try and sugar coat it. http://www.mta.info/...dership_bus.htm

http://www.mta.info/...ship_busMTA.htm

compare its real sad.

Okay okay... We get it... The numbers are low.... That isn't all due to the route being slow... I actually talked with someone who lives in Bedford Park who attended a transit meeting I went to and he said the reason no one used the BxM4 was because they couldn't afford the fare. Most of the areas the BxM4 passes through are not exactly well to do so that makes sense. Woodlawn is not only far out, but it's also a more middle class neighborhood so it makes sense that most of the ridership would come from there since more folks there can afford the fare and from what I've seen when I've seen BxM4's that would seem to be the case. With that said, you still have some along the Concourse that use it. My personal opinion is that things may turn around on that route as more folks move to that area that can afford the express bus. The thing is gentrification is happening there, but very slowly...

In short cost can also be a huge factor with ridership in some areas and this is the case with several express bus routes...

Okay okay... We get it... The numbers are low.... That isn't all due to the route being slow... I actually talked with someone who lives in Bedford Park who attended a transit meeting I went to and he said the reason no one used the BxM4 was because they couldn't afford the fare. Most of the areas the BxM4 passes through are not exactly well to do so that makes sense. Woodlawn is not only far out, but it's also a more middle class neighborhood so it makes sense that most of the ridership would come from there since more folks there can afford the fare and from what I've seen when I've seen BxM4's that would seem to be the case. With that said, you still have some along the Concourse that use it. My personal opinion is that things may turn around on that route as more folks move to that area that can afford the express bus. The thing is gentrification is happening there, but very slowly...

In short cost can also be a huge factor with ridership in some areas and this is the case with several express bus routes...

BINGO!!!! Nobody there can afford to pay $5.50 that was what I was saying all along. The people in woodlawn who can afford the fare can afford the faster MNRR as well unlike riverdale the station is easy to reach and the train is way faster than the 4. The more folks that move there with money will just use metro-north.

I'm not gonna bother indulging; he's bringing up irrelevant shit....

All dude asked was how much time would the express bus save over the two subway lines....

sorry yes it can be fast at some times at night.

The express bus would save zero time over the subway.

Archived