Is railfanning banned?

NYtransit

I was photographing the (H) today, cops were in one of the stations I photographed in, none of em said anything or did anything to me, so theres no need to worry.

Yeah, I was at Penn on New Years and there were cops* everywhere, and none of them said anything.

Yeah, I was at Penn on New Years and there were cops* everywhere, and none of them said anything.

Penn has the MTA and Amtrak cops only and they usually care about people being on the platforms there, mainly the Amtrak ones since being down there without a ticket violates Amtrak rules. The MTAPD never bothered me for being on the LIRR platforms though, which is why they're basically the only spots there I fan at. Unless you're talking about the subway stations.

Upon reading the thread title, I said to myself how exactly would they ban someone from riding on subways..... then I read the post content & it mentions photography......

Anyway, I don't know if there's a ban or not... But for me to pull out my mp3 player to switch tracks (just so happened that the (4) was pulling into the station) & to have 2 policemen tell me that I'm not allowed to take pictures of the subway, is rather disturbing..... I have nothing to hide, so after telling them that it wasn't a camera, I pulled the headphones from the mp3 player to show them that it wasn't.... One of the officers just waved me off, and I just shook my head...... I had wanted the (5) at the time, so it wasn't a loss for me (this was at grand central btw)........

edit:

song tracks not train tracks :D

Upon reading the thread title, I said to myself how exactly would they ban someone from riding on subways..... then I read the post content & it mentions photography......

Anyway, I don't know if there's a ban or not... But for me to pull out my mp3 player to switch tracks (just so happened that the (4) was pulling into the station) & to have 2 policemen tell me that I'm not allowed to take pictures of the subway, is rather disturbing..... I have nothing to hide, so after telling them that it wasn't a camera, I pulled the headphones from the mp3 player to show them that it wasn't.... One of the officers just waved me off, and I just shook my head...... I had wanted the (5) at the time, so it wasn't a loss for me (this was at grand central btw)........

edit:

song tracks not train tracks :D

Sounds like some of New York's brightest right there lol. My personal favorite is the time I was in the subway in Brooklyn (I forget which stop, one of the F stops). A cop Is walking around, and when he comes by I say "Thank you" without any sarcasm or whatever--I was being completely genuine, as it was late at night. what does the cop do? He yells at me to leave him alone! That was the last time I tried to be nice.

What harm does a tripod do to anyone that an umbrella, bicycle, or anything else couldn't do?

I guess that's for your own good. Let's say you're at a busy station and you are there with your tripod. How big is the chance it gets knocked down by someone pushing to get into the train? If you're holding the camera yourself then you're responsible for not letting it drop out of your hands when you get pushed.

I guess that's for your own good. Let's say you're at a busy station and you are there with your tripod. How big is the chance it gets knocked down by someone pushing to get into the train? If you're holding the camera yourself then you're responsible for not letting it drop out of your hands when you get pushed.

It's frivolous to make that a violation then. What are we… kids? I can be responsible for my property without being tethered to it.

what kind of tripods does the ban include. is it the regular 3 leg tripods or the 1 leg monopods like this: http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-WT-1003-67-Inch-Lightweight-Monopod/dp/B000VZS2EU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357584371&sr=8-1&keywords=one+leg+tripod

While I'm sure you're less likely to get a ticket if you have a monopod instead of the tripod, they are likely still prohibited.

The official wording is vague, probably intentionally: it states "ancillary equipment" may not be used, and specifically mentions lights tripods and reflectors. While there can be little argument to support that a monopod is not ancillary equipment, a cop would have to be really persnickety to summons you for something that is basically handheld.

Nonetheless, you may find yourself with a ticket if you use one.

Whenever I film on the subway (non-rail fanning mind you, I'm just a freelance cinematographer) I have the production budget for the $25 fine, though I've never actually had to pay one.

As for the "non-commercial" clause - claiming "student film" has never failed :-D

the way i see it is, its about a $150 fine if your caught speeding, I think that was about how much it was when I was pulled over on the LIE a few years back. But yet im sure the forum members who drive aren't doing exactly 55mph on the highway, theyll go 65-70 and theyll go for years without getting a ticket. This is a potential $25 fine and most of the time there's no cops anywhere in the stations. They tend to hang around the busy Manhattan stops rather than the outer boros. I would think they would rather go after the bigger things like fare beating, people wandering into the tunnels, graffiti, selling swipes, etc.

The ban on tripods has nothing to do with cameras getting knocked down - tripods are banned because they may create a tripping hazard to other passengers.

You haven't been doing your homework.

What harm does a tripod do to anyone that an umbrella, bicycle, or anything else couldn't do?

The ban on tripods has nothing to do with cameras getting knocked down - tripods are banned because they may create a tripping hazard to other passengers.

And what happens when someone trips over your tripod? Your camera falls. Dude, you're making the same argument as me but in a different way.

It's frivolous to make that a violation then. What are we… kids? I can be responsible for my property without being tethered to it.

Yes, but I can also be responsible for not going inside a train when the doors are closing yet there are still people doing that and then sue the (MTA). Same with tripods. Some people would sue the (MTA) when their stuff breaks on (MTA) property.

Yes, but I can also be responsible for not going inside a train when the doors are closing yet there are still people doing that and then sue the (MTA). Same with tripods. Some people would sue the (MTA) when their stuff breaks on (MTA) property.

You're not getting the point. Why mention tripods specifically? Everything you say that could happen with a tripod could happen with plenty of shit people bring into the system.

You're not getting the point. Why mention tripods specifically? Everything you say that could happen with a tripod could happen with plenty of shit people bring into the system.

Good point. Maybe it looks more suspicious to the (MTA) if you're using a tripod? You know, like you're investigating something (for example to plan to blow up a train or something)? Or maybe this isn't what (MTA) wants, maybe it's the local government or the police who wants (MTA) to be careful and not allow such 'suspicious' things?

Good point. Maybe it looks more suspicious to the (MTA) if you're using a tripod? You know, like you're investigating something (for example to plan to blow up a train or something)? Or maybe this isn't what (MTA) wants, maybe it's the local government or the police who wants (MTA) to be careful and not allow such 'suspicious' things?

Yeah. I'm sure terrorists use tripods to accurately model the location, shape, and appearance of the structures which they then use to simulate explosions in software running on supercomputer clusters before they send some expendable pawns to do the actual dirty work.

You know what, maybe this isn't actually a big thing that we should be worrying about. As long as filming and photography can be use without flash, then i guess its ok. If the (MTA) said that their company is Fully COPYRIGHTED, then you know the words CT1660, OCCUPY LIVINGSTONE STREET!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Archived