Longest or worst traffic lights

JohnQPine

In Nassau there's many. The most annoying light is the one I refer affectionately as "the big joke light" coming off East Gate Blvd onto Old Country road. Often the buses get backed up at this light, made especially worse because they moved the bus stop a couple of years ago to right at the intersection. The green light is short, lasts for only 10 seconds or so, sometimes it's green only for a few seconds before turning red.

There's other lights that are messed up. On the N27 or N22A heading north you have to make a left onto Jericho turnpike from Glen Cove rd. The turning lane is often backed up, not because the light is short but because there's only one turning lane. Going south you have the left turn signal onto Old Country rd, that is not long enough.

On the N20 you have 3 bad signals to contend with. Coming out of SUNY Old Westbury, C.W. Post, and now NYIT (why they put a stop in there beats me, the other stop on 25a was fine). Each light is at least a 2 minute wait.

Missing them all will put you 10 min behind schedule!

The left turn into Sunrise Mall is a bad one too. Some drivers will just go through it...can't blame them.

The other problems are mainly due to out of synch signals, it seems on many of the roads the signals are timed so you miss everyone. It should be exactly the opposite! Coming south on the N27 you always have to wait in a traffic jam up to Back rd for the signal at 25a + Glen Cove rd. The problem there is 25a gets a longer green even though there's more traffic on Glen Cove rd.

I really think in order to make buses more appealing (as well as save time,etc) is to put transponders on all the buses so when a bus approaches a green light, it stays green, allowing it to "make" the light, even if it has to make a pick-up or drop off.

At some lights, such as the N20 Hot Dog lights (because you can eat a hot dog in the time you are waiting) the light should turn green when the bus approaches.

So much travel time is wasted stopping at traffic lights, if that could be avoided it would really improve service.B)

In Nassau there's many. The most annoying light is the one I refer affectionately as "the big joke light" coming off East Gate Blvd onto Old Country road. Often the buses get backed up at this light, made especially worse because they moved the bus stop a couple of years ago to right at the intersection. The green light is short, lasts for only 10 seconds or so, sometimes it's green only for a few seconds before turning red.

There's other lights that are messed up. On the N27 or N22A heading north you have to make a left onto Jericho turnpike from Glen Cove rd. The turning lane is often backed up, not because the light is short but because there's only one turning lane. Going south you have the left turn signal onto Old Country rd, that is not long enough.

On the N20 you have 3 bad signals to contend with. Coming out of SUNY Old Westbury, C.W. Post, and now NYIT (why they put a stop in there beats me, the other stop on 25a was fine). Each light is at least a 2 minute wait.

Missing them all will put you 10 min behind schedule!

The left turn into Sunrise Mall is a bad one too. Some drivers will just go through it...can't blame them.

The other problems are mainly due to out of synch signals, it seems on many of the roads the signals are timed so you miss everyone. It should be exactly the opposite! Coming south on the N27 you always have to wait in a traffic jam up to Back rd for the signal at 25a + Glen Cove rd. The problem there is 25a gets a longer green even though there's more traffic on Glen Cove rd.

I really think in order to make buses more appealing (as well as save time,etc) is to put transponders on all the buses so when a bus approaches a green light, it stays green, allowing it to "make" the light, even if it has to make a pick-up or drop off.

At some lights, such as the N20 Hot Dog lights (because you can eat a hot dog in the time you are waiting) the light should turn green when the bus approaches.

So much travel time is wasted stopping at traffic lights, if that could be avoided it would really improve service.B)

on my block CI avenue. weekends and not during the school year the CI Ave. is longer time than ave J which is normal. but during school days, avenue J is 2 min and Ci ave. is 45 sec. get me mad

The lights here on the Bx8 (Allerton Avenue) and Bx31 (Schieffelin Avenue, Needham Avenue, and Boston Road) as well as the Bx21/36 (East Tremont Avenue, eastbound) is really irritating. These are some of the most ran red lights I know of! They take too damn long to change. Traffic lights on each block of Church Avenue is a pain considering alot of cross streets aren't being used more, stop signs would be much better on half of them.

Archived