Do you any questions about your next Bus Operator Exam

RTS4Life

Yes, I have a bunch of questions:

a) For those of us that are studying, what should we focus on the most? The various points of interests? The CDL questions? The mathematics? etc.

b) For those of us who did not get a CDL yet:

1. 1) How soon should we get the Learners Permit, if we do not have the license?

2. 2) Any advice for studying for the Learners Permit? I know when I got my Class D permit a while ago, the on-line quizzes helped, which we do not have.

3. 3) I heard from one source that our CDL, whether we have the License or a Learners Permit should contain both air brake and passenger endorsement. However, the Notice of Examination (http://www.mta.info/...es/pdf/2613.pdf) says that it only needs to have a passenger endorsement. What's your opinion?

4. 4) I am thinking of getting my CDL Learners Permit later this month after the NYC Transit examination. In the event that I do not start the process with them in the immediate future (eg it takes a year or two for them to call me), how long will my CDL be good for? If it expires, do I have to re-take the CDL test at DMV in order to keep it?

That's all for now...

Answers in bold.

Yes, I have a bunch of questions:

a) For those of us that are studying, what should we focus on the most? The various points of interests? The CDL questions? The mathematics? etc.

I took exam 8006 back in 2008 so I don't remember the content too well. I do remember there being plenty of common sense questions along with some general knowledge (CDL) there was only about 2 or 3 point of interest questions. I don't remember there being any math.

b) For those of us who did not get a CDL yet:

1. 1) How soon should we get the Learners Permit, if we do not have the license?

You'll need your LP with passenger endorsement and NO air brake restriction at the time of appointment (when they call you for drug test)
  1. 2) Any advice for studying for the Learners Permit? I know when I got my Class D permit a while ago, the on-line quizzes helped, which we do not have.

When I was studying for my permit I utilized the practice exams (which are free) on www.cristcdl.com they ask the same exact questions that are on the NYSDMV written exams.
  1. 3) I heard from one source that our CDL, whether we have the License or a Learners Permit should contain both air brake and passenger endorsement. However, the Notice of Examination (http://www.mta.info/...es/pdf/2613.pdf) says that it only needs to have a passenger endorsement. What's your opinion?

They only list the passenger endorsement because air brakes are already included with the CDL you just can't have an air brake RESTRICTION. Ironically, in order to not have a restriction on your license you have to pass the air brake endorsement exam (even though it really isn't an endorsement lol).

1. 4) I am thinking of getting my CDL Learners Permit later this month after the NYC Transit examination. In the event that I do not start the process with them in the immediate future (eg it takes a year or two for them to call me), how long will my CDL be good for? If it expires, do I have to re-take the CDL test at DMV in order to keep it?

Your permit is only good for a year. I would assume that if you let your permit expire you must take the written exams again.

That's all for now...

1. 4) I am thinking of getting my CDL Learners Permit later this month after the NYC Transit examination. In the event that I do not start the process with them in the immediate future (eg it takes a year or two for them to call me), how long will my CDL be good for? If it expires, do I have to re-take the CDL test at DMV in order to keep it?

Your permit is only good for a year. I would assume that if you let your permit expire you must take the written exams again.

You can renew it ones with out retaking the test.

Why not wait untill your list will be established, then wait untill people will start geting letters, and then go get it.

First, @youngblaze - thank you for the link to help study for the Learners Permit, I appreciate it.

Second, @Olegkha - I understand where you are coming from. I am just used to doing things early and getting them over with.

I got an updated CDL manual in the mail the other day after being on hold with DMV for about 20 minutes. The paperwork is not that bad, since I am disregarding the Hazardous Materials Endorsement. However, I do have a couple of questions about the Medical Examination Report:

a) I do plan on going to my primary doctor to have her fill it out. However, do I have to go to an eye doctor to have the vision part filled out? 95% of the time I do not wear glasses. The only time I do is in the classroom if I am having trouble seeing the chalkboard, overhead transparency, etc. With that said, last time I wore them was about a year ago.

b) If my doctor can not give me a hearing test, where can I go to get this done?

c) Since I am still a graduate student, I plan on seeing my doctor within the next two weeks to have this paperwork filled out. When it is filled out, how long will the paperwork be valid for? The reason why is because @Olegkha said to wait on getting the permit, which I understand. However, once I am done with classes in May, I expect on being busy with my seasonal job at the farm for a month - and then before I know it, it will already be the middle of June.

Also, when I go to take the test @ DMV for the CDL Learners Permit, does anyone recall how many questions were there for the General Knowledge and/or the endorsement tests?

It is just my first time doing this, so I am a little nervous/worried since I took the exam for my class D learners permit close to 7 years ago...

You think you will be called in already in June ?

give it a year or two, There are few more lists that are already in the que and waiting to be called in, so 3 years of wait is probably a good guesstimate.

Well, I went to the class that was offered on January 5th (and today too). The instructor of the class, who is currently a bus operator, mentioned that the list is good for four years - just like any other civil service test. From doing some research, the last time the exam was given was back in April of 2008 (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808006000.pdf). Therefore, I am assuming that NYC Transit is finishing up with this list soon.

He also mentioned that the list will take six months to produce, which would mean either July or August of 2013. In addition, he recommended that for those who have a low list number should get their act together since they would get called shortly afterwards. If your list number is around 1,000, then the instructor said that you will probably get called in about a year from the time they produce the list (July/August 2014).

I agree in a way because from what I read on this site, the TA expects you to have your CDL when you go for your medical and/or BOSS exam, even if it is a learner's permit with no experience behind a bus and/or truck. If you do not have it, then they turn you away very easily. And I do not know if you can come back later on with the CDL.

Any other thoughts folks?

Did he also mention the 2 or 3 OA lists that are around , an people are called from those lists now 2XXX list numbers

If i am not mistaking there are 20K-30K people all together who are waiting for their time to be called in. so if you just took the test, be ready to wait 2-3 years

Did he also mention the 2 or 3 OA lists that are around , an people are called from those lists now 2XXX list numbers

If i am not mistaking there are 20K-30K people all together who are waiting for their time to be called in. so if you just took the test, be ready to wait 2-3 years

Not really. However, from what I heard from other folks and read on this site and other sites, OA is short for 'MaBSTOA' which stands for Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority. Therefore, if you are successful with them and you get hired, you can only pick a depot in Manhattan or the Bronx, right? Therefore, for someone who lived either in Staten Island, Queens or Brooklyn, you are basically out of luck if you wanted to work out of Casey Stengel, Queens Village, Jamaica, Yukon, Charleston, Flatbush, Fresh Pond, etc. right?

Therefore, if they need bus operators  in some of the other depots I mentioned above, are they going to use people on the OA lists with the MaBSTOA definition I gave above?

If so, then when I took the exam on January 12th, how come there were some MaBSTOA employees there taking another bus operator exam? I guess they had nothing better to do.

Also, I can clearly understand 100% that there are 20,000 to 30,000 people waiting to get called since I've seen lists before in The Chief. However, is it true that the higher score you get on the exam, the lower the list number you get? Or, does the agency start calling people who barely passed the exam, compared to those who did really well?

Feedback would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

No one knows what list will be called in first ( in most cases the earliest list will have a priority, but more then one list can be called at the same time ), but i bet you TA list that will be established from 1-12-13 test date will not be called for at least 2-3 years or more. The better your score is on TA list the lower your list number , the faster you will be called. OA lists do not have test score, they have a lottery number.

OA drivers take TA test, just so they can get on the list and  when their number will be reached, they will resign from OA and will start all over in TA ( probation, seniority, pay, vocation... )

No one knows what list will be called in first ( in most cases the earliest list will have a priority, but more then one list can be called at the same time ), but i bet you TA list that will be established from 1-12-13 test date will not be called for at least 2-3 years or more. The better your score is on TA list the lower your list number , the faster you will be called. OA lists do not have test score, they have a lottery number.

OA drivers take TA test, just so they can get on the list and  when their number will be reached, they will resign from OA and will start all over in TA ( probation, seniority, pay, vocation... )

Why resign in OA and start all over in TA? It doesn't make sense to me in a way...

TA employees are protected by civil job ( ? )  rules

When people were let go 2 years ago, all TA employees on probation were let go, and all OA employees with less then 3 years on the job were let go. We have different pension

I dont know if OA can go to SI

I am sure there are more reason, I just cant think of any right now

TA employees are protected by civil job ( ? )  rules

When people were let go 2 years ago, all TA employees on probation were let go, and all OA employees with less then 3 years on the job were let go. We have different pension

I dont know if OA can go to SI

I am sure there are more reason, I just cant think of any right now

I see...so TA is protected by civil service job rules, while SIR (Staten Island Railway) and MaBSTOA are not protected by civil service job rules, even though all 3 of these agencies fall under NYC Transit, correct?

If that is the case, with these 3 separate agencies, then how come NYC Transit has to wait 2-3 years or more to start calling and processing people who took the exam recently (and for those taking it on the 1/26 and maybe 2/2) even if you got a high score with a low list number, especially if those from MaBSTOA can not go to Queens, Staten Island and/or Brooklyn?

Yes TA has a bit more security, but you screw up big enough and you are gone, no matter if you are TA or OA or any other letter combination.

There are lists that are out there right now that need to be called first, thats where 30K people are siting an waiting. After they will go through those lists they will take the next list  from the shelf and so on.

and again only TA lists number is based on your test score, higher the score= lower list number. The rest of the lists are based on the lottery, better luck= lower list number

There are lists that are out there right now that need to be called first, thats where 30K people are siting an waiting. After they will go through those lists they will take the next list  from the shelf and so on.

This is understandable if it was in the same agency (NYC Transit). I just don't understand this being true when it comes to both MaBSTOA and NYC Transit as well.

However, just like Olegkha said too, "No one knows what list will be called in first" so we shall wait and see...

This is understandable if it was in the same agency (NYC Transit). I just don't understand this being true when it comes to both MaBSTOA and NYC Transit as well.

However, just like Olegkha said too, "No one knows what list will be called in first" so we shall wait and see...

If you ever get a chance read through the two train conductor threads a few ppl posted getting called down to Livingston and offered a position as a bus operator. Ask a few of the OA and BC operators they took TA tests and when theyre number was reached MTA contacted them and said they only have openings in OA and BC and will call them when TA openings occur.

As for the ppl leaving OA to go to TA my situation isnt the same but Im a full time operator for NJ transit and when Ta calls in whenever years Im gone bcuz you have to realize seniority depending on your depot can BE REALLY SLOW we have a few 10 15 plus years guys who are still on extra board and not from choice. Also TA can pick into any depot not including BC not sure if OA has that same posiblity

If you ever get a chance read through the two train conductor threads a few ppl posted getting called down to Livingston and offered a position as a bus operator. Ask a few of the OA and BC operators they took TA tests and when theyre number was reached MTA contacted them and said they only have openings in OA and BC and will call them when TA openings occur.

As for the ppl leaving OA to go to TA my situation isnt the same but Im a full time operator for NJ transit and when Ta calls in whenever years Im gone bcuz you have to realize seniority depending on your depot can BE REALLY SLOW we have a few 10 15 plus years guys who are still on extra board and not from choice. Also TA can pick into any depot not including BC not sure if OA has that same posiblity

Thanks for the advice...out of one of the threads which are 94 pages long, so far I briefly read the first 15...I'll read the others when I have more time.

From those 15 pages, I understand the process a little more...what was shocking to me was that someone took the C/R open competitive exam, got a score of 92 and his/her list number is 25**, and this person will not be called for another 3.5 years or maybe he/she will not even be called at all...wow.

Archived