Why is the Concourse line so cold?

m7zanr160s

I've recently become a consistent (D) train rider, and I've noticed that all of the Bronx part of the line is much colder than that of other underground lines in the system (e.g. the QBL)? Usually, stations are OK in the cold season, but not the Concourse. Why is that?

Maybe the underpasses affect the temperature somehow, since a lot of those stations while they are underground, there are cross streets that tunnel under Grand Concourse, its like almost a freeway that road. Interesting thing with the Bedford Park Blvd station is theres entrances above and below the tracks.

Maybe the underpasses affect the temperature somehow, since a lot of those stations while they are underground, there are cross streets that tunnel under Grand Concourse, its like almost a freeway that road. Interesting thing with the Bedford Park Blvd station is theres entrances above and below the tracks.

That would be Kingsbridge :D

These stations are also generally cool in the summertime. The stations are not super deep but not super shallow either. They all have full length mezzanines (closed off in most stations) in the typical IND style. The mezzanines may in fact allow any heat and humidity to rise, therefore rendering the platforms with low humidity (which feel colder in the wintertime, comfortable in the summer).

That would be Kingsbridge :D

These stations are also generally cool in the summertime. The stations are not super deep but not super shallow either. They all have full length mezzanines (closed off in most stations) in the typical IND style. The mezzanines may in fact allow any heat and humidity to rise, therefore rendering the platforms with low humidity (which feel colder in the wintertime, comfortable in the summer).

I coulda sworn Bedford Park does that too, ive seen a photo from that station with an exit to the underpass with a grey sign pointing the way to the Botanical Gardens

It's possible. Stations on the Jerome line only have one name by comparasion. But they should look at that idea, dropping names for exits that are now closed (or reopen them).

You ain't touching 163rd St! :D

You can exit at the 175 end if you want to get onto the Concourse proper. Hmm perhaps that's why that station got the double name (182-183 is now just 182 as the 183 exit has been closed off)?

If thats the case, 170 Street could have been "170-171 Streets". An oddity about that station is the 24 hour station booth is at the 171 Street end.

170, Fordham, Kingsbridge, and 205 have their 24 hour station booths at the exit that is not named for the station.

As for cold stations, I think Jamaica-Van Wyck on the E is the coldest underground station.

You can exit at the 175 end if you want to get onto the Concourse proper. Hmm perhaps that's why that station got the double name (182-183 is now just 182 as the 183 exit has been closed off)?

Supposedly there was a passageway to 184 Street too. If there was, I don't remember it, but I do remember the exits on the SW and NW ends of Fordham and the SW and SE ends of Kingsbridge.

Yeah, I was thinking this, too. Usually, underground subway stations offer a little relief from the outside conditions; not so much the Concourse Line.

There's also the elevation of the stations to consider.  The lower half of the Concourse the stations are almost on the same level with the Jerome line structure (hard to believe, but that's why people transfer down from the (4) just to go a few stops).  But in all likelihood its the presence of the mezzanines that allow any warmer air in the stations to rise.  While outside of passenger interaction, the mezzanine at BPK and other stations is quite comfy (which is why they took steps to secure it).

There's also the elevation of the stations to consider.  The lower half of the Concourse the stations are almost on the same level with the Jerome line structure (hard to believe, but that's why people transfer down from the (4) just to go a few stops).  But in all likelihood its the presence of the mezzanines that allow any warmer air in the stations to rise.  While outside of passenger interaction, the mezzanine at BPK and other stations is quite comfy (which is why they took steps to secure it).

Not to mention, riders there want to avoid walking uphill between Jerome and the Concourse at points south of Burnside/Tremont Avs.

Supposedly there was a passageway to 184 Street too. If there was, I don't remember it, but I do remember the exits on the SW and NW ends of Fordham and the SW and SE ends of Kingsbridge.

There was never an exit to 184 St. Fordham has slabbed over exits on the west side of Grand Concourse/Fordham (as well as a corridor running through the wall separating the two platforms which IMO should be open to the public), and Kingsbridge has an closed off ramp that goes over the Kingsbridge underpass and then up stairs to the south end of Kingsbridge (slabbed over at street level).

There was never an exit to 184 St. Fordham has slabbed over exits on the west side of Grand Concourse/Fordham (as well as a corridor running through the wall separating the two platforms which IMO should be open to the public), and Kingsbridge has an closed off ramp that goes over the Kingsbridge underpass and then up stairs to the south end of Kingsbridge (slabbed over at street level).

I agree w.r.t. the Fordham corridor; to this day I see cats waiting for trains that won't come at the Concourse Exp platform during off-hours and have to direct them further down. They could move the dumpsters and other equipment to the space behind the north end of the N/B plat (i.e. construct a new "room") to clear the passage for re-opening.Pertaining to the earlier comment, perhaps paulrivera was thinking about the closed Anthony Avenue exit?

Does the geography have anything to do with it? Much of the Bronx does lie on solid bedrock which can absorb cold. Maybe that may be part of the reason. I can't prove this as geographical surveys for the Concourse line is lacking as far as I know compared to the plethora of information on BMT/Dual Contract and IRT studies and layouts, I could be wrong so I am just taking an educated guess. Traveling through the Bronx, sections of solid bedrock can be seen even above ground.

Then again sections of the Lexington Ave Line during the Dual Contracts are solid bedrock rock, not soft soil (the double decker sections up to 125th Street) and it is quite warm at those stations, so I will have to take that into consideration.

Archived