R143's not looking good.

jimbob60

Hey while we're at it, why don't we replace the rubber molding between the doors with razor sharp steel blades. A few people will lose a hand here and there, but the severed limb would serve as a reminder to those who had to ride with it not to hold the doors.

A few months of this and the door holding problem is over! This is only a modest proposal.

Lol, I know the modest proposal very well. Nah electrify the doors, a jolt of electricity should be better than blades and less messy.

Yup. the defeatist mentality. 'Punishments are too harsh' or 'Vandals know the risks and just don't care.' With that it is why the trains are continuously treated poorly by people.

What the real problem is that these animals don't have home training.  I roomed with a guy that would pull this nonsense in college and he was the last roommate I had because I couldn't deal with the nasty BS and so I paid extra to ensure that I had no roommate. Anytime I would go to sweep the floor or something I would see tissues all over on his side of the room. Mind you there was a garbage can literally next to him, so I was pissed.  When I saw him later I just simply told him that that behavior was not tolerable and that he had to put his stuff in the trash.  Those same sorts of nasty people do this nonsense on the buses and subways.  Can't imagine how nasty their apartments or houses must be.  In any event after that convo., I never had a problem with that again and if I did I can assure you he would be picking it up or me and him would've gotten into it.

lol... You shouldn't really be all that surprised... Some of the ghetto areas that some of these lines pass through... Could be even worse... Smh  <_< I heard that the (6) for example is usually pretty dirty up in the Bronx... Chicken bones all over the place.  Sadly enough the (6) has gotten worse in terms of cleanliness... Doesn't help to see homeless folks all over the place either... Considering that below 96th street you've got all of the tourists and such about they should really try to keep it cleaner.  

Ghetto areas? I see someone hasn't seen bored non-ghetto teens and young adults.

HARSHER PUNISHMENTS WON'T SOLVE A THING

You have vandals to thank for that. We need to make the cost for vandal offenses extremely high, like around $500.

Yeah, remember that they had damaged several R160s a couple of years ago. The MTA should add electrified gates on trainyards (if they don't already).

I agree, it's just call being plain stupid.

Why do you have to be wanna be ghetto or just ghetto to do things like graffiti or scratchitti? That's EXTREMELY close minded. It's called boredom and wanting your name wandering the city for years to come.

I agree, it's called being plain stupid.

Why do you have to be wanna be ghetto or just ghetto to do things like graffiti or scratchitti? That's EXTREMELY close minded. It's called boredom and wanting your name wandering the city for years to come.

He lives in Riverdale... you gotta expect him to say something like that.

Graffiti should be zero tolerance. NO train leaves the yard unless every stitch of graffiti has been clean up and glass/panels replaced, even if it affects service.

This loses the incentive of graffiti, as it won't be seen by anyone. When people start having their service affected because of graffiti, people see it more as a big deal and get more public support against graffiti. Because right now, it's just the fact that most people don't care.

I don't like having my tax dollars spent on nice new multi-million dollar rail vehicles only to be stratched and marked up. This goes for everything, like highway signs, walls, etc.

Graffiti is NOT a low class thing. It's a bored teenager thing. Here in LA, there is sign graffiti even in the riches part of Orange County, like Villa Park(There was one so bad you couldn't even read the sign anymore, Caltrans had to come clean it up) where the median income is like $141,000 a year.

@LTA1992 -

Because ghetto folks and wanna be ghetto folks have no class and have no problem acting like animals and defacing things that aren't theirs... Hey I was a teenager too and there were times that I was bored, but I didn't go around tagging trains.... Pretty lame excuse.

Seen a bunch of kids in areas not considered the "ghetto" (and actually know a few) that have done graffiti and scratchiti before.

...does that make them ghetto as well or are you gonna find another way to associate it with a less-desirable part of the city?

@LTA1992 - 

Because ghetto folks and wanna be ghetto folks have no class and have no problem acting like animals and defacing things that aren't theirs...  Hey I was a teenager too and there were times that I was bored, but I didn't go around tagging trains.... Pretty lame excuse.

You are one person as compared to millions of others. Just because you didn't do it, doesn't mean those millions of others wouldn't. You sound so ignorant it's not even funny. You don't have to be "ghetto" to do this. How many times do I have to say it? That's like saying all rich men cheat on their wives. that's like saying all African-Americans rob and steal. That's like saying all blondes are dumber than a sack of rocks.

Open you're eyes and SEE what the world is like and stop assuming on what you hear and think you know.

You are one person as compared to millions of others. Just because you didn't do it, doesn't mean those millions of others wouldn't. You sound so ignorant it's not even funny. You don't have to be "ghetto" to do this. How many times do I have to say it? That's like saying all rich men cheat on their wives. that's like saying all African-Americans rob and steal. That's like saying all blondes are dumber than a sack of rocks.

Open you're eyes and SEE what the world is like and stop assuming on what you hear and think you know.

What part of ghetto and wanna be ghetto don't you understand??? Acting ghetto doesn't necessarily mean coming from a ghetto neighborhood.  It's also a certain mindset and mentality, but sure you can link it to certain neighborhoods too in some cases.

You're just trying to escape the facts that most of this nonsense is coming from kids in the ghetto areas and the wanna be ghetto kids who think that by defacing property that isn't theirs that it is somehow cool.  That's what the problem is here.  Don't try to turn the situation around on me for putting out the ugly truth.  I stand by everything that I've said.  I've been a New Yorker for a LONG time and I know the deal so spare me with the BS.  

If they were so "embarrassed" they wouldn't be doing this nonsense to begin with.  What you really want to say is that you condone this nonsense so just say that and stop trying to point the finger at me.

I'm not the one out here tagging trains and being a non-productive member of society like these low lives.

FreshPond: Seen a bunch of kids in areas not considered the "ghetto" (and actually know a few) that have done graffiti and scratchiti before.

...does that make them ghetto as well or are you gonna find another way to associate it with a less-desirable part of the city?

@FreshPond - It most certainly does... They're animals all the same...

I rode the L train on Sunday evening for the first time in sometime and was sorry to see how poorly the interior of the nearly empty R143 car (81XX) looked. Most of the metal strips around the door wells had scratchiti and the floor was ripping in several spots. I realize all of the first of the NTT's (R142's, R142A's and R143's) are now more than 10 years old with the exception of the last 80 R142A's and perhaps some 1200 R142's, but I find the R142A's and especially the R142's - love my Bombardier trains - appear to be in much better condition than the R143's. Coney Island R160 Kawasaki cars - about 6 years newer at 5 years of age on average - are in top shape on the N and Q lines. Is there a program planned for the R142-3 cars as they have passed double digits to maintain the appearance of the interiors. The R143 on Sunday brought back memories of when I first strated riding the subway in the early/mid 70's and the various R30's - then some 10 years old - looked pretty bad. I thought the 70's were a thing of the past for the MTA. Does ENY do a poor job of maintaining equipment? As a regular rider of the Queens Blvd line, I find the interiors of the E R160's look much better than the interiors of the M R160's. Granted the E R160's are some 1 1/2 years or so newer on average (aside from 9943-9974) but the difference is notable. The only thing I will see for ENY R160's is that the exteriors appear to be cleaned more frequently than Jamaica R160's

I agree with everything your saying. You should see some of the cabs on the 143's there trashed up already with garbage from other crews who don't give a shit about other people. The (N)(Q) 160's are the best ones out there while the (E) & (F) share trains and all the homless destroy these trains at night especially on the (E) The other problem with the 143's are they don't have enough rest. Always on the road back and forth everyday 24 hours a day. The white plastic trimming on the cars are turning yellow, You got the animals that use acid to do graffiti on the metal and windows. What can you do?

I agree with everything your saying. You should see some of the cabs on the 143's there trashed up already with garbage from other crews who don't give a shit about other people. The (N)(Q) 160's are the best ones out there while the (E) & (F) share trains and all the homless destroy these trains at night especially on the (E) The other problem with the 143's are they don't have enough rest. Always on the road back and forth everyday 24 hours a day. The white plastic trimming on the cars are turning yellow, You got the animals that use acid to do graffiti on the metal and windows. What can you do?

I know what I would do.... Have them work and replace all of the crap they deface first off and then jail time if they're caught again. NYC CAN be a cleaner place and our subways and buses can be cleaner too if you stop the animals from tearing everything up.  The only way things stay nice is if they're expensive and it costs them more to ride them.  Not just a coincidence either.  Notice that this is a rarity on most express bus lines and MetroNorth... The X10 sees most of that crap because occasionally the ghetto folks get on leaving a mess everywhere and destroying everything.  Typical.

That's why I have no problem with the fares going up except for the fact that the middle class shouldn't be hit.  Just raise the base fares like they're doing now and keep raising them and enforce the fare.  

I know what I would do.... Have them work and replace all of the crap they deface first off and then jail time if they're caught again. 

See this is an idea I think has merit. Make the penalty for

graffiti/vandalism be community service cleaning up vandalism on the

trains. Go on an enforcement blitz with plainclothed officers and

watch the problem dissapear.

Of couse, I don't think the Transit Adjucation Bureau has the

authority to do more than impose fines (to be fair, even the authority

to fine is questionable).

See this is an idea I think has merit. Make the penalty for

graffiti/vandalism be community service cleaning up vandalism on the

trains. Go on an enforcement blitz with plainclothed officers and

watch the problem dissapear.

Of couse, I don't think the Transit Adjucation Bureau has the

authority to do more than impose fines (to be fair, even the authority

to fine is questionable).

Exactly... The real problem is a lack of enforcement... No fare enforcement... No enforcement of anything so this is what happens... Believe me these low lives would stop if they knew that they would be caught and disciplined accordingly.

Lack of enforcement means nothing. Not as hash punishments mean nothing. Vandals DO NOT CARE about rules. No matter how much enforcement you have, they will always find a way.

Tagging up trains was an art to them. My own father, who I consistently try to tell that that was something he should not have done, still stands by the Art excuse. They don't care.

You still haven't answered the question on why someone has to be "wanna-be" ghetto to spray graffiti. Most of them consider themselves to be artists. Nowhere near ghetto or wannabe.

Lack of enforcement means nothing. Not as hash punishments mean nothing. Vandals DO NOT CARE about rules. No matter how much enforcement you have, they will always find a way.

Tagging up trains was an art to them. My own father, who I consistently try to tell that that was something he should not have done, still stands by the Art excuse. They don't care.

You still haven't answered the question on why someone has to be "wanna-be" ghetto to spray graffiti. Most of them consider themselves to be artists. Nowhere near ghetto or wannabe.

Yeah, it's called animal behavior... It's "art" when you're not defacing property that doesn't belong to you.  Since you have so many questions for me, here's a question for you... Would you and your father like it if someone came along to your house or apartment and defaced it and called it "art"? I highly doubt it.  Yeah it's ghetto behavior because it's about respect.  If it doesn't belong to you then don't f**** it up for everybody else.  Then again ghetto folks don't know anything about respect or consideration for other people.... To them it's all about them and justifying why it is okay to destroy things and tear them up at other people's expense.

Yeah, it's called animal behavior... It's "art" when you're not defacing property that doesn't belong to you.  Since you have so many questions for me, here's a question for you... Would you and your father like it if someone came along to your house or apartment and defaced it and called it "art"? I highly doubt it.  Yeah it's ghetto behavior because it's about respect.  If it doesn't belong to you then don't f**** it up for everybody else.  Then again ghetto folks don't know anything about respect or consideration for other people.... To them it's all about them and justifying why it is okay to destroy things and tear them up at other people's expense.

I didn't know animals knew how to paint. One: I don't live with my father. Two: I won't lie, just 5 minutes ago, I thought about asking him that. So are little kids ghetto? They wreck and destroy things. Is the US Government ghetto? They are the biggest criminals ever and destroy things that aren't theirs. What about Jews that were in ACTUAL GHETTO's. Technically, those people were ghetto. Didn't see them destroying things either. 

You really need to think about how you throw that around more thoroughly because frankly, you use it too much. Next time, use things like "No home training", "Not enough whoopings as a kid", or just plain "Fools". Most "Ghetto" people don't go around tearing up things that aren't theirs and putting graffiti on walls. They just act dumb. Never left their local area and there fore don't know a thing about this city or the world. Their mind revolves around the hood and make excuses  to why it's bad and the moment you say how it can be changed, they call it impossible. 

-END-

Archived