NYCTA run number

megabus

Hi friends,

I would like to know the meaning of run number indicated on the NYCTA bus? What does it mean?

In Bordeaux for example, it indicates the number of buses on the line, the first two digits for the line number and the last two for the number of service :

Bordeaux_001.jpg

4th bus of the line 63

Bordeaux_002.jpg

3rd bus of the line 6

Buses run throughout the day on the same line.

On the New York bus I noticed the number exceeding one hundred. I can't imagine that there could be more than 100 buses on the same line! lol :rolleyes:

Can you help me to assimilate your run number system?

C.U.Soon,

Laurent (JFK)

It's not an unfair question, especially since it changed recently. On many routes in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Manhattan, the first number indicates the route number (usually with the first number lopped off) and the last two indicate the run on the route; however, there is a lot of interlining. In Staten Island, the run box usually indicates the control ID of the driver, who may take several different routes in a day, although I'm not sure if this is the case for Yukon express runs. In Queens, control IDs with 1 or 2 digits (or for the Q20/Q44, control IDs into the low 110s) are runs on a route that remain there for the entire driver's shift; if there is a 3-digit run number beginning with 3, 4, or 5, there may be interlining.

In Staten Island, 1-299 are assigned to YUK, 300-599 are assigned to CAS, 600-699 to Meredith, and 700-999 to Charleston.

You guys are going through loops about what you don't know regarding the run number.

The number indicated in front of the bus is usually for internal use only - letting the dispatchers know who's who, and help track whether they are on schedule or not; also for operators when we make reliefs, to know which run we are to relieve according to our paddles (schedules). 

That's what it MEANS.

It's a unique number for that route assigned to each driver. I think if a driver operates on more than one route, he is assigned a different run number for that route. So a driver who is run 7 gets off the bus for his lunch break, and gets on another bus on the same route, he is still Run7.

My information comes from the Winter Pick Saturday schedule at Laguardia Depot

Q18  801-812;   Q23  501-520;  Q29  951-962; Q33 101-115; Q39 901-911; Q47  701-707;  Q49  401-408

The run number is attached to the work assignment and doesn't change even if the assignment has interlining.

For example, Run 408 (Q49) begins with 3 trips on Q39 and the rest of the day is on Q49.

Run 952 (Q29) begins the day with 7 trips on Q49 and the rest of the day on Q29.

The run numbers stay the same throughout the day even though the operator works multiple routes. I guess where there is interlining, the run number is based on the route with most trips. Run 952 will show 952 even while operating on Q49.

Archived