Calling for medical attention system bus driver judgement?

alekr

This happened today on the Q16 on the flushing high school stop at Union Street across the High School going to Flushing/Jamaica stop.

I was boarding the Q16 it was on the midroad because of the Q44 blocking the bus lane but the driver of the Q16 did open the door so I boarded in. There was a woman she ran for the Q16 but there was a small pothole not so deep but just enough to trip someone she did trip and fell on the pavement. She did limp all the way back to the sidewalk.

Driver actions? He just picked up the phone that was on the driver seat and seemed called for medical help. Closed the door drove away.  He did not get off the bus. I felt this action was wrong. The Q44 was in front that did not leave yet. The driver should had everybody off the bus and told the Q44 driver to accept the Q16 passengers (there was only 10 passengers on the bus) and the Q44 was not even full. The Q16 has 2 more stops left to the terminal.

Since the Q44 is almost same route as Q16 with 1 block distance of each other.

I wished I could had helped her but I was little bit concerned with the loss of the transfer I needed it and judging from the driver's view seemed that he was in a rush.

What your call on this situtation?  

Sounds like what most New Yorkers would do. It didn't happen on the bus or MTA property, so the B/O had no requirement to help her, and she wasn't in mortal danger. It was nice of him to even call EMS, honestly. If this was a small town in rural Idaho or something, it might be different, but this is New York. 

Listen i have helped lots of people over my almost 14 year career. But from what u r saying happened she IS lucky if he even called ems. She most likely had a small scrape or bruise on her knee or whatever and didn't require ems anyway. If she was knocked unconscious and just laying there in the middle of the street then, yeah u get out a help until ems arrives. And also what r u gona say to the dispatcher at the end of the route? Hey boss some dumb lady fell and got a boo boo so I took myself out of service to hold her hand . Lol. Also u don't know , maybe it's the operators last trip and he or she has to pick up there kids, or has a doctor appointment they gotta make. We have lives too outside of work.

Yeah, the thing is that it's not just the passengers who are on the bus, but the bus could have to make a return trip. So him waiting for EMS would result in those passengers being delayed. I mean, as long as the woman isn't seriously injured (she probably just sprained her ankle or something), she doesn't require that the B/O wait with her.

This happened today on the Q16 on the flushing high school stop at Union Street across the High School going to Flushing/Jamaica stop.

I was boarding the Q16 it was on the midroad because of the Q44 blocking the bus lane but the driver of the Q16 did open the door so I boarded in. There was a woman she ran for the Q16 but there was a small pothole not so deep but just enough to trip someone she did trip and fell on the pavement. She did limp all the way back to the sidewalk.

Driver actions? He just picked up the phone that was on the driver seat and seemed called for medical help. Closed the door drove away.  He did not get off the bus. I felt this action was wrong. The Q44 was in front that did not leave yet. The driver should had everybody off the bus and told the Q44 driver to accept the Q16 passengers (there was only 10 passengers on the bus) and the Q44 was not even full. The Q16 has 2 more stops left to the terminal.

Since the Q44 is almost same route as Q16 with 1 block distance of each other.

I wished I could had helped her but I was little bit concerned with the loss of the transfer I needed it and judging from the driver's view seemed that he was in a rush.

What your call on this situtation?  

Oh please... Women get babied enough as it is when it comes to the buses... They get and expect to have the bus kneeled for them... Expect to have the bus held for them and don't have a problem walking ever so slowly to the bus to hold everyone up. Meanwhile if it's a man, 9 times out of 10 that bus is not kneeled even if the bus is nowhere near the curb and if he can't run to the bus, more than likely that bus is gone.  Hell even if he does run the B/O still usually takes off and leaves him just like I saw yesterday morning.  The double standards are amazing.  Here's a question for you... If it was a man that had this happen to him would you be feeling the same way? I doubt it.

If I were the B/O  in that situation, all I'd do is quickly step off and ask if she wanted that route, that's it. I wouldn't delay the entire run. If she needed EMS, I'd just dispatch them over.

The B/O really couldn't do much after the fact anyway.

I don't think the b/o should get out at all. The accident didn't happen on the bus and making the radio call for the ambulance is good enough imo. From the sound of it, it didn't seem that serious that proper medical personnel can't handle. He can't do anything for her especially if he's not responsible.

Also if the b/o had tried to help her up and she claims some more injury, then the driver's gonna be responsible. These days it's best to stay hands off especially if you aren't at fault. Better safe than sorry.

Archived