Why not more artics on MTA buses?

blazer

Arctics can be too long to navigate certain city streets. In addition, there probably aren't enough to go around, and the vast majority of arctics are in Manhattan. In Queens, there are some arctics on the Q44, and the M60 is going to get them to deal with luggage crowding the rest of the bus, but other than that route that probably should have arctics don't.

As a solution to the whole "arctics can't turn extremely tight corners" thing, though, I remember the MTA tested a double decker a while back. What happened to that thing, anyways?

Artics are also in the Bronx and will be on the B44 sbs.. eventually.

I think the part about artics not being able to handle tight corners is false. But I'll differ to the b/o's who have driven them.

The vanhool DD bus had to be left 'knelling' when it was on the x17j thru the Lincoln tunnel. Plus I don't think all the traffic poles and bridges can accommodate them. Makes no sense to have a very limited fleet.

As its been stated time and time again, artics can make any turn and fit anywhere a 40' bus can go.

The Van Hool DD on the other hand, you would be slapping low hanging branches and poles (an accident waiting to happen if you get a branch thick enough), and there's not really much places you can fit that tall thing

A bike can easily beat any Manhattan bus route. A bike can go at least 15mph, doesn't have to make constant stops, and doesn't get caught in traffic.

You make it sound as if you can never get anywhere on a Manhattan local bus which is just false.  Traffic moves just fine at night and during most weekends and even on Lexington Av, a lot of times traffic isn't that bad.

The D60s are about 33' in the first half (or somewhere around there, can't remember exactly), and the LFSAs are 40' in the first half

The D60s are about 33' in the first half (or somewhere around there, can't remember exactly), and the LFSAs are 40' in the first half

I thought the D60s were 35 at the front and 25 at the rear

Staten Island could benefit from artics for the school trips, as a great starting place. But WHERE to park them? How much room is there on SI/in SI garages to park artics? For YEARS I've been thinking & saying SI should have artics to sponge up excessive crowding, & not just school trips.

Staten Island could benefit from artics for the school trips, as a great starting place. But WHERE to park them? How much room is there on SI/in SI garages to park artics? For YEARS I've been thinking & saying SI should have artics to sponge up excessive crowding, & not just school trips.

When you're dealing with SI-type headways, you're better off just adding more service directly. When the MTA adds artics, it usually comes with a frequency reduction. When you're dealing with routes on 2 minute headways, you can afford to cut it back to 3 minute headways, but I wouldn't want to see 12 minute headways increased to 15 minute headways, for instance.

You also have to consider that, unless we're talking about an +SBS+ route, less frequent service means increased dwell times, and also, there's less of a possibility of passing by lightly used stops on any particular run (not to mention, it slows things down maneuvering in and out of stops).

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cait Sith" data-cid="631201" data-time="1357935872"><p>

<br />

I thought the D60s were 35 at the front and 25 at the rear</p></blockquote>

I said somewhere in that area lol...couldnt remember the exact number

We can use artics in queens village run them on the Q46, Q43. LGA on the Q53

If the MTA really cared enough, the Q46 and Q43 would be perfect for double deckers, because unlike most routes with arctics most people on the Q46 and Q43 are in it for the long haul, so the upper deck would actually be well-utilized. That's another story for another time, though.

Q46 could use artics. The Q43 really needs better headway management more than anything else, though - buses travel like snails from Jamaica Station to 179th St, and at 179th St there will either be two or three buses at a time, or nothing at all.

If the MTA really cared enough, the Q46 and Q43 would be perfect for double deckers, because unlike most routes with arctics most people on the Q46 and Q43 are in it for the long haul, so the upper deck would actually be well-utilized. That's another story for another time, though.

Q46 could use artics. The Q43 really needs better headway management more than anything else, though - buses travel like snails from Jamaica Station to 179th St, and at 179th St there will either be two or three buses at a time, or nothing at all.

More then likely, Double Deckers would of been for OTR routes.

No. It's a logistical nightmare to make sure all the areas it runs thru can fit such a tall bus. Just leave the DD buses for the tourist lines in Manhattan. If you need extra capacity, then get the artics or just add extra bus runs.

They can't use them on the M42 or M66.

Archived