Texas school can force teenagers to wear locator chip: judge

DJ MC

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A public school district in Texas can require students to wear locator chips when they are on school property, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday in a case raising technology-driven privacy concerns among liberal and conservative groups alike.

U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia said the San Antonio Northside School District had the right to expel sophomore Andrea Hernandez, 15, from a magnet school at Jay High School, because she refused to wear the device, which is required of all students.

The judge refused the student's request to block the district from removing her from the school while the case works its way through the federal courts.

The American Civil Liberties Union is among the rights organizations to oppose the district's use of radio frequency identification, or RFID, technology.

"We don't want to see this kind of intrusive surveillance infrastructure gain inroads into our culture," ACLU senior policy analyst Jay Stanley said. "We should not be teaching our children to accept such an intrusive surveillance technology."

The district's RFID policy has also been criticized by conservatives, who call it an example of "big government" further monitoring individuals and eroding their liberties and privacy rights.

The Rutherford Institute, a conservative Virginia-based policy center that represented Hernandez in her federal court case, said the ruling violated the student's constitutional right to privacy, and vowed to appeal.

The school district - the fourth largest in Texas with about 100,000 students - is not attempting to track or regulate students' activities, or spy on them, district spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said. Northside is using the technology to locate students who are in the school building but not in the classroom when the morning bell rings, he said.

Texas law counts a student present for purposes of distributing state aid to education funds based on the number of pupils in the classroom at the start of the day. Northside said it was losing $1.7 million a year due to students loitering in the stairwells or chatting in the hallways.

The software works only within the walls of the school building, cannot track the movements of students, and does not allow students to be monitored by third parties, Gonzalez said.

The ruling gave Hernandez and her father, an outspoken opponent of the use of RFID technology, until the start of the spring semester later this month to decide whether to accept district policy and remain at the magnet school or return to her home campus, where RFID chips are not required.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-school-force-teenager-wear-locator-chip-judge-021126100.html

Conspiracy Theorists this is for you.

Another poor attempt by a local school district (San Antonio Northside in this case) to appear as they are doing something productive to benefit students, all the while taxpayer funds are being spent to fund this.

As usual, once on campus, students "shed" their constitutional rights.

Ah, so it's all a ploy for no child left behind?  What a crock.

Texas has never been at the forefront of useful educational reforms lol. The idea that school is nothing more than a babysitting service where kids occasionally learn something new is quite clear here. 

And don't forget, the Texas Public Schools hold huge influence over the textbook printing industry. I forget the exact reason why (either the huge number of kids in Texas, or something with the way books are distributed to Texas first), but it's a pretty interesting (if not sad) story. The textbook industry is like the mafia in some ways. 

The school system as a whole is a mafia. Mandates more on tests and social promotion. Plus allowing the kids that don't care about being in school to drag down the rest of the class than to kick them out and let the kids that want to learn, learn in a more peaceful environment. Also doesn't help that the teachers union refuses to kick out the worst in their ranks and of course the teachers having sex with their students. It's a wonder we have foreign students coming here to our colleges.

The system is a an outdated sham created for a pre WW2 age.

You will be bashed because you have NO clue how they work in the first place. 99% of RFID tags are passive that means they only work when held in proximity to a reader unit. Other wise they are unpowered, and require an induction coil in the reader to jump a short burst of power to allow them to work, with fades as soon as you take the card out of the field. I've got at least 3 RFID cards in wallet at this very second, and none of the organizations that gave them to me have any clue where I am.

You will be bashed because you have NO clue how they work in the first place. 99% of RFID tags are passive that means they only work when held in proximity to a reader unit. Other wise they are unpowered, and require an induction coil in the reader to jump a short burst of power to allow them to work, with fades as soon as you take the card out of the field. I've got at least 3 RFID cards in wallet at this very second, and none of the organizations that gave them to me have any clue where I am.

Thank you for explaining more about RFID tags Kamen.

Now on the topic of RFID cards, it should be of interest that this is the technology that is in transit smart cards. I doubt there would be resistance to them by MTA riders, but you never know.

The Metrocard was well received when it was first introduced in the mid 1990s. So well in fact ridership skyrocketed. Same could happen with smart cards.

Hopefully the judges in the Court of Appeals reverse the decision.  I mean really, when a school board begins to think its acceptable to implant microchips in kids' brains, that signals to me that I should be on a plane heading for Canada...

The school system as a whole is a mafia. Mandates more on tests and social promotion. Plus allowing the kids that don't care about being in school to drag down the rest of the class than to kick them out and let the kids that want to learn, learn in a more peaceful environment. Also doesn't help that the teachers union refuses to kick out the worst in their ranks and of course the teachers having sex with their students. It's a wonder we have foreign students coming here to our colleges.

The system is a an outdated sham created for a pre WW2 age.

You're absolutely right.  The teachers and the administrators insist that the schools are so good, yet they are the two biggest reasons for the poor quality of education at some schools.  And it isn't just the neighborhood schools, it goes for ALL the schools, including specialized schools, charter, et cetera.

It also goes back to one simple truth; If you're not doing anything wrong, what are you afraid of?

On the contrary, is this technology warranted under the circumstances presented?

The Metrocard was well received when it was first introduced in the mid 1990s. So well in fact ridership skyrocketed. Same could happen with smart cards.

Perhaps. As of now, I'm carrying a TAP Card (L.A.) and a Compass Card (S.D.) in my wallet with no issue.

No, YOU have no idea how they work. Do you really think the government don't have an ulterior motive for these? Why do you think there is such outrage with this idea. No matter how officials claim these chips are for "safety" at the end of the day, they are being used for surveillance as well as tracking and listening to the target's messages. Do you know there are proposals to have street lights and cameras listen to people as they walk bye? There is also pre-crime technology to have cops arrest people before a crime occurs. D.C. has this, and the NYPD is looking into doing the same in the future. At the end of the day, this violates your rights and/or freedoms at the expense of the taxpayer.

Lol wut?

RFID chips are the same things they have on items in CVS that make the machine beep if you try to walk out of the store. The schools aretrying to prove kids show up to class so they can collect money instead of actually improve the curriculum. THere is no ulterior motive, the motive is $$$

God you are an idiot... Nothing you said is true, they are not spying on you with a device who's operational range is 1/100th of an inch! It's like me trying to spy on you from a mile away with a ceral box telescope!

And you are a moron who is clearly too simple minded to see what is wrong with this picture. So here's a question, if your job said that you had to wear a tracking device around your neck at all times in order to work there, would you?

Archived