Losses Lowest Since 1975

DJ MC

Its good that Amtrak's record ridership has turned into something financially tangible (granted $361 million still is a lot to lose).  Due to the nature of passenger rail it's highly unlikely that Amtrak will ever post a profit, let alone not need the financial assistance of the federal government.  That doesn't mean that Amtrak isn't worth the time of day (and it damn sure doesn't "suck balls" outside of the NEC) but it takes political and social will to change something that's deficient in nature to something sufficient in function.

And for the record, Democrats and Republicans have both equally not given a crap about Amtrak, Republicans just happen to be more vocal about it.

It's not only Amtrak, most large-scale transit businesses have a tough time cutting a profit. Look at private airlines--they have a razor thin profit margin and are constantly have ing mergers to prevent bankruptcy. The cruise ship industry seems to be the only that does relatvely well from what I can tell, and sure as hell nobody commutes via cruise ship.

Now your really delusional. Ever heard of the Auto Train and Empire Builder? Or better yet the Silver Service. May want to think before you post. Also the Blue Water and Wolverine travel at 110mph in the Midwest. Can't forget about the Surfliner out in California. Advice do some research before you post, cause the lack of thinking before posting just makes a user look so damn stupid.

I am well aware of amtrak's improved on-time performance. Also some services outside the northeast are decent. I was talking about service levels however at this rate we may see more corridors with NEC like service levels real soon. How frequent are the blue water and wolverine? nuff said.

I am well aware of amtrak's improved on-time performance. Also some services outside the northeast are decent. I was talking about service levels however at this rate we may see more corridors with NEC like service levels real soon. How frequent are the blue water and wolverine? nuff said.

Enough to generate substantial ridership. During the FY11 Wolverine carried 503,290 passengers. The Blue Water carried 187,065 passengers. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/10/amtrak_reports_record_michigan.html

WASHINGTON – Amtrak and the California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) are 
joining forces in the search for proven high-speed rail (HSR) train sets currently being 
manufactured and in commercial service that are capable of operating safely at speeds up to 220 
mph on both Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor (NEC) and on California’s developing HSR corridor. 

Amtrak, in conjunction with California, is today formally issuing a Request for 
Information (RFI) to start the process.  The partnership advances each of their respective HSR 
programs, and could create efficiencies by ordering trains of similar specifications and develop a 
U.S. standard for HSR train equipment that can be manufactured and supplied domestically and 
produced for the rest of the world.  A Request for Proposal could be issued by September 2013 
with an order placed during 2014.

Read more: Source

http://procurement.amtrak.com/wps/portal/eProcurement/amtrakProcurementBusOpp/non-construction/

Looks like the sets could be ordered as soon a 2014, but that doesn't mean they will arrive in 2014 though.

Archived