Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Deadly winter storm dumps up to a foot of snow in the Middle East

article-damascus4-0110.jpg

"The fiercest winter storm to hit the Mideast in years brought a rare foot of snow to Jordan on Wednesday, caused fatal accidents in Lebanon and the West Bank, and disrupted traffic on the Suez Canal in Egypt. At least eight people died across the region.

In Lebanon, the Red Cross said storm-related accidents killed six people over the past two days. Several drowned after slipping into rivers from flooded roads, one person froze to death and another died after his car went off a slippery road, according to George Kettaneh, Operations Director for the Lebanese Red Cross.

In the West Bank town of Ramallah, a Palestinian official said two West Bank women drowned after their car was caught in a flash flood on Tuesday. Nablus Deputy Governor Annan Atirah said the women abandoned their vehicle after it got stuck on a flooded road, and their bodies were apparently swept away by surging waters. Their driver was hospitalized in critical condition.

In the Gaza Strip, civil defense spokesman Mohammed al-Haj Yousef said storms cut electricity to thousands of Palestinian homes and rescuers were sent to evacuate dozens of people.

Parts of Israel were bracing for snow a day after the military was forced to send helicopters and rubber dinghies to rescue residents stranded by floodwaters. In Jerusalem, streets were mostly empty as light snow began to stick Wednesday night. School was canceled for the next day because of the weather, which Israeli meteorologists said was the stormiest in a decade."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/photos-snow-holy-land-article-1.1237431#ixzz2Hdd9GOIs

Snow? In the middle east? I thought the bombs and warfare significantly increased the surface temperature, making it impossible.

This is sad to hear it does so much damage tho, oh hi 67th Ave

• Upvote 1

One of my Hebrew translators is on vacation over there... Needed her to revise something for me and she wrote back finally saying that she had lost electricity... 

Snow? In the middle east? I thought the bombs and warfare significantly increased the surface temperature, making it impossible.

This is sad to hear it does so much damage tho, oh hi 67th Ave

please tell me that was a poor attempt at a joke....
  • Upvote 1

Quill acting his 12 year old age. :mellow:

That's no excuse... <_<

But damn, wasn't there recently a larger than usual amount of rainfall in the area. I'm sure floods caused the most damage over everthing else.

Its their own fault, they have been playing games with "cloud seeding" to make it rain over there for a long time. Its getting out of hand.

Its their own fault, they have been playing games with "cloud seeding" to make it rain over there for a long time. Its getting out of hand.

Looks like Thundersnow.