Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
FamousNYLover

Journey to NICE Public Hearing (via MTA, Seastreak, and Mostly NICE)

I got on front car #1811 on Manhattan-bound <7> Exp departed Junction Blvd at 7:00am, arrived Times Sq-42nd St @ 7:27.

Total time on Subway: 27 minutes.

Next, I went into Rector St-bound (1) train, but when I try to get to first car, I couldn't make it but I got on front car #1456 on New Lots Av-bound (3) train departed 7:31, arrived 34th St-Penn Station at 7:32.
Total time on Subway: 1 minute.

Next, I went to use quick you-know-what and I head over to LIRR Customer Service by ticket window and I handed out NICE Bus Meeting flier to female LIRR personal.

At 34th St/7th Av, I missed M34A SBS because I was getting my SBS receipt.

I got on 34th St Ferry-bound M34 SBS #3815 departed 7:42.

I didn't took gamble on M15 SBS because I didn't want to miss last Rockaways ferry which I forgot if it was 8:25 or 8:35, so I got off at 34th St/Park Av @ 7:48.

Total time on M34 +Select Bus Service: 6 minutes.

Next, I got on front car #7566 on Brooklyn Bridge-bound (6) train departed 33rd St at 7:52, arrived 14th St-Union Sq at 7:56.

Total time on Subway: 4 minutes.

Next, I got on front car #6726 on Flatbush Av-bound (5) train departed 7:59, arrived Wall St 8:08.

Total time on Subway: 28 minutes.

I fast walk to Pier 11 and waiting area was completely closed off.

While I was waiting for Seastreak to Rockaways, I was looking at name of ferry.

SeaStreak to the Rockaways arrived few minutes early and on last 8:35 SeaStreak named "Martha Vineyard Express" to the Rockaways only had 3 regular riders plus me, 4 people and it departed ontime at 8:35.

When I was at upper level, I got splash by water. With my cell phone I got good picture of Verrazarro Narrows Bridge and Marine Parkway Bridge.

Crew were very customer service.

Martha Vineyard Express suppose to arrived 9:10, however arrived temporality Beach 108th St pier 9:19, 9 minutes late.

Total time on SeaStreak:44 Minutes

Even I asked for Q22 bus, but at Rockaway Beach Blvd/Beach 108th St, when I saw Woodside-bound Q53 LTD #3580 and I got on it departed 9:24, arrived Rockaway Beach Blvd/Beach 95th St @ 9:26.

Total time on MTA Bus: 2 minutes.

Next, I walk up to Beach 90th St for free Hurricane (H) train and I got on front car #6198 on Far Rockaway-bound (H) shuttle train departed 9:43, arrived Far Rockaway-Mott Av @ 9:56 and T/O was extreme friendly.

Total time on special (H)urricane (H): 10 minutes.

Next, I put NICE Meeting sign at n33 bus stop bay at Beach 21st St currently used by (A) train shuttle bus, I posted by n33 temporality pickup, then I rush to Central Av/Mott Av and put sign up about today's meeting.

Next, I got on 10:20 n33 Long Beach #1702 departed ontime.

When he got to Atlantic Highlands Bridge toll, there was one impatient trailer truck changing the lane to right.

Wheelchair ramp was OK according to male driver and I asked him, "Is detour at train station finish?" and he said, "Yes, we return inside train station.

Arrived Long Beach Station at 10:46, 1 minute late at 10:45.

Total time on NICE: 26 minutes.

Even thought there was 10:50 n15 Roosevelt Field via Clinton Rd, I let that bus go because I don't want to go on long ride, so I quickly went to you-know-what.

I put additional sign ang I got on 11:05 n15 Roosevelt Field #1806, which male B/O and he even picked up last passenger who came up to driveway. People got confused on when bus was on Clinton Rd, especially people going to Mineola IC and departed with REAR DOOR BROKEN DOWN.

Blind person board somewhere around Rockville Cetre at Merrick Rd/Park Av and they got off somewhere around North Village Av.

He arrived ontime at Roosevelt Field Mall at 12:08. ADA OK.

Total time on bus: 66 minutes.

Next, I got on 11:30 n22 Hicksville #1853 that suppose to arrive 12:20, arrived/left 2 minutes late at 12:22, suppose to arrived Hicksville Station 12:44, arrived 2 minutes late at 12:46. This was male driver also.

Total time on NICE:  24 minutes. ADA OK.

Next, I put sign at every NICE Bus stops including bus stop pole even with male NICE Dispatcher.

I got quick regular slice pizza and I boarded 13:10 n24 Jamaica #1762, male driver ADA OK and and he departed ontime. I quick ate my slice while I was handing out meeting flier for today's NICE Fare Hike affected by MTA Fare Increase.

Arrived Roosevelt Field Mall at 13:37 ontime as well.

Total time on NICE: 27 minutes.

Next, I try to ask female driver on n22 Jamaica, but she was properly new driver and she couldn't help me if I was able to walk to bus depot since I didn't want to be late, so I knocked on bus laying over by office house, properly senior male driver who told me direction very well, so I got exercise by hiking over.

When I got green light crossing Quentin Roosevelt Blvd at Commercial Av, driver in silver car turning right honk at me even thought they were suppose to yield because I was already on crosswalk and when I said, "You suppose to yield to the pedestrian" and that driver stopped and open door little, closed door and driver left.

I thought 2pm meeting will be completely empty because of working and school hours, but not at all. There was Tri-State Campaign director Ryan Lynch, members of Long Island Bus Riders Union, Ani Hanez, Stephanie Sapile, Ana Girado, PinePower, David O"Donell, Cindy Tropeano, our good Veolia/former MTA driver.

During 2pm meeting, few of them forgot to turn off the cell phone or put into vibrate, and also one of news person had to tell people outside to quiet down. Copy Machine was down at depot.

All registered speakers mostly complained about fare hike and n35 bus. Some riders said some new buses don't have enough spaces.

For 14:00 meeting, I had Kathy Ann Comerford read my testimony because reporter got confused during the Dec 18th meeting about schedule/service change.

It finish around 16:15, so female NICE Member and Cindy gave me closest place to eat but I decided on Bollar Market and I got Cheeseburger, Smart Fries chip and Honest Iced Tea with half-lemonade to go and went to LaQuinta Inn to ask hotel receptionist if they could make copy of my speech and she said in excellent customer service, "Yes, we have copy machine."

I asked politely, "Is possible to make 3 copies and she said yes and I said thank you as I head back to depot."

I gave my testimony to Newsday reporter.

17:00 meeting was joined by several Spanish riders, Channel 12, sign language intreper from MTA Public Hearing at Melville Marriot Hotel, Spanish translator and NICE Bus supporter and his assistant Nassau County Legislature Carrie Solages, together 6 minutes testimony complaint about elimination of Elmont Rd stop which Elmont Rd riders want to take advantage of n6x also and Spanish work for NY Comittee Change also spoke against fare increase and there was one man came all the way from the ROCKAWAYS TO SPOKE AGAINST FARE INCREASE and also suggesting n33 need to run frequently during summer season because of deep-sea-fishing and having articulated bus on n4, n6, n40/n41, etc to help relief crowd standees. Against, most bus riders spoke about fare hike affecting their wages and complaining about NICE. I was last speaker, which I spoke myself this time because they already know and I handed reporter and intreprer copy.

Meeting finished around 18:10, and I went to you-know-what and hug everyone and I know.

After I call my mom I will be home around 21:00 or 22:00, 

I was in so rush try to make it 18:00 n27 Glen Clove, I forgot to throw my garbage, so I throw my garbage in trash can next to bus layover.

Next, I got on male driver on 18:40 n27 Glen Clove #1845 which suppose to arrive NICE Depot at 18:50, however showed up 

five minutes early at 18:45.

Bus arrive Glen Clove Rd/Northern Blvd @ 4 minutes early from 19:19 at 19:15.

Total time on NICE: 30 minutes. ADA OK.

Next, male driver on 19:00 n20 Flushing #1846 came and departed ontime at 9:24 and early Pt. Washington Blvd at 9:32, arrive one minute early from 9:33.

Total time on NICE: 8 minutes.

I went to Whole Food Manhassett for my mom's errand.

Next, I got on 19:35 n20 Flushing #1803 suppose to arrived Pt. Washington Blvd at 20:08, showed up and departed ontime at 20:08, heavey boarding at Great Neck Station, suppose to arrived Roosevelt Av/Union St at 20:47, but arrived late at 20:55, 8 minutes late.

Next at Flushing-Main St, I got on 4th car #1809 on Times Sq-bound (7) train when train alarm to indication this train was leaving and left at 21:02. I moved to front car at 1806 while it was in motion and arrived Junction Blvd at 21:08.

Total time: 6 minutes.

After that, I made quick stop at Warren St and went home to Diamond Royal Plaza condo.
THE END

Edited by FamousNYLover
  • Upvote 2

So, the fact that NICE runs always late doesn't seem to be always true. 2-8 minutes is quite normal actually and the bus being a few minutes early, well, that happens in a lot of countries. Not really something to complain about.

Nice and detailed report though! 

• Upvote 2

Yeah they've been better this week, but I still caught major bunching on westbound n22's at around a quarter to 5, there were two pairs of each n22 and n22x, which makes for 4 in a row. Only the first n22 was an NG, the rest were the new 3Gs.

Rarely ever saw such bunching on the n22 when it was LIB, whereas such bunching is now commonplace with NICE. I'm still waiting to break the record of 4 in a row. :P

Edited by PinePower
  • Upvote 1

Yeah they've been better this week, but I still caught major bunching on westbound n22's at around a quarter to 5, there were two pairs of each n22 and n22x, which makes for 4 in a row. Only the first n22 was an NG, the rest were the new 3Gs.

Rarely ever saw such bunching on the n22 when it was LIB, whereas such bunching is now commonplace with NICE. I'm still waiting to break the record of 4 in a row. :P

Compared to some TA bus lines, the N22s don't sound THAT bad.

• Upvote 1

Apparently, that happens to the (MTA) too: 

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39062-why-not-more-artics-on-mta-buses/page-4?do=findComment&comment=631719

And yes, I know that's not a former LIB line but (MTA) = (MTA).

• Upvote 2

Compared to some TA bus lines, the N22s don't sound THAT bad.

Well, the buses are scheduled to be 15 minutes apart (30 minute headways each for the N22 & N22X), so 4 buses coming together does sound bad.

But then again, I've seen 4 buses in a row on the S46 (12 minute headways), and 3 buses in a row on the S44 (15 minute headways) just off the top of my head, so that's not something unique to NICE.

• Upvote 4

Is RANTing all you do? CMON MAN just stop already several other TA systems have similar problems.

• Upvote 3