Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
GojiMet86

How do you combine AVCHD files and upload them?

Here's the story: I have this Sony CX190 that automatically splits up a long video into 2GB AVCHD files. I'd like to upload the videos as a whole.

For example, I recorded the entire roundtrip Bus-Bridge shuttle in two recordings (one for each direction and 1 hour each). Each recording appears as one video in the camcorder. However, because of the 2GB limit, one recording (which appears as one video on the camcorder) now appears as five 17 min, 2GB files on the computer.

Now, seeing how some users here have uploaded one hour files, and how for me one 17 minute file takes about 4 hours to upload unto YouTube, my questions are the following:

1) How do you either combine these files, or get that one recording in its entirety?

2) How do you, or what do you use to, compress the files so that it takes less time to upload?

I have the Rockaway Bus Shuttle and the (H) roundtrip, and I plan on recording many entire trips. So I'd like to get them on YouTube.

Any helps is appreciated. :)

Well, if you're gonna put em on YouTube anyway, then upload both of them seperately, then use the YouTube video editor to combine them. It doesn't change the quality one bit and it doesn't take long either.

Would they appear both separately and as the combined video? 'Cause I don't want to have 5 separate videos and the long video. Just the long one.

Would they appear both separately and as the combined video? 'Cause I don't want to have 5 separate videos and the long video. Just the long one.

Once you combine the two videos and the combined video appears online, you can hide the two original videos or delete them or do whatever you want with them, the combined video will still be there.

Once you combine the two videos and the combined video appears online, you can hide the two original videos or delete them or do whatever you want with them, the combined video will still be there.

The thing is, he's asking how to do that. And I wouldn't trust YouTube's editor as its very shitty.

If you have any video editing software, use that to combine it into one video then proceed to upload it. I personally use Sony Vegas Pro 12.

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Upvote 1

The thing is, he's asking how to do that. And I wouldn't trust YouTube's editor as its very shitty.

If you have any video editing software, use that to combine it into one video then proceed to upload it. I personally use Sony Vegas Pro 12.

Oh sorry lol. To do that, you upload the two videos. Then go here while logged in: http://www.youtube.com/editor

Select your first clip, drag it to the timeline. Select the second clip, drag it to the right of the first clip on the timeline. Then right above the video, enter a title and click "Publish." If you don't click anything else like enhancements or editing, it will take the two clips and directly combine them without changing the quality or the content. It is like Direct Stream Copy, except its all done on the YouTube servers.

The problem with video editors is that when you just wanna combine videos, you gotta reprocess the whole entire videos and not only does it take a while, but it can alter the quality. Things like Sony Vegas or Premiere Pro re-encode all the videos you publish with it.

Look up "Direct Stream Copy" and you'll see what I mean.

I bought a copy of QuickTime years ago, and it's a very good editor. Copy, cut, and paste and all the pieces are kept intact without recompression as long as you work with QuickTime's native format: MOV.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CenSin" data-cid="637478" data-time="1359239896"><p>

I bought a copy of QuickTime years ago, and it's a very good editor. Copy, cut, and paste and all the pieces are kept intact without recompression as long as you work with QuickTime's native format: MOV.</p></blockquote>

I was actually about to ask about the format. If they're mov, you can use Quicktime to combine them like Censin said. If they're avi, you can use Virtualdub. I didn't know what format they were and you mentioned uploading to YouTube, so I suggested the video editor.

Edited by Brett
  • Upvote 1

I was actually about to ask about the format. If they're mov, you can use Quicktime to combine them like Censin said. If they're avi, you can use Virtualdub. I didn't know what format they were and you mentioned uploading to YouTube, so I suggested the video editor.
If they are in any other format, I would fine a way to remux them into a MOV container. The AVI format isn't designed to mix codecs (like one part being H.264 and a second part being MPEG2) seamlessly. The MKV format is even more advanced, but I don't know any well-developed tool that works with those. Consider getting QuickTime Pro, or a Mac (which comes with it). It's a worthwhile investment for simple cutting and pasting clips with minimal processing.
  • Upvote 1