BxM11 on FDR Drive at 125th Street??

Gorgor

(I posted this here instead of the random thoughts thread because this is more than just a random thought)

--

What the hell was going on last weekend... (I believe it was last Sunday, the 6th in the afternoon)

It was on the weekend and I'm driving up the northbound FDR Drive and right before the exit to the RFK bridge I see a BxM11 illegally using the southbound FDR Drive with passengers in it.  He was in the left lane and nearly crashed into a car at the merge from the RFK bridge exit onto the FDR.  Why was this bus here?!?

According to the map, the bus is supposed to take the RFK Bridge to 2nd Avenue, but the bus was coming from the southbound FDR Drive... which means it took the 3rd Avenue bridge?  I was so confused, and it was so dangerous because the lanes on the FDR are really narrow, so the bus was just an accident waiting to happen.  I was going the other direction so I couldn't see where it got off, but it was just scary seeing it nearly collide with a car.

The driver ignored all the "PASSENGER CARS ONLY", "8000 POUND LIMIT", "NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES", and "NO TRUCKS" signs, and this is exactly why the FDR in that section is cars only.

(I posted this here instead of the random thoughts thread because this is more than just a random thought)

--

What the hell was going on last weekend... (I believe it was last Sunday, the 6th in the afternoon)

It was on the weekend and I'm driving up the northbound FDR Drive and right before the exit to the RFK bridge I see a BxM11 illegally using the southbound FDR Drive with passengers in it.  He was in the left lane and nearly crashed into a car at the merge from the RFK bridge exit onto the FDR.  Why was this bus here?!?

According to the map, the bus is supposed to take the RFK Bridge to 2nd Avenue, but the bus was coming from the southbound FDR Drive... which means it took the 3rd Avenue bridge?  I was so confused, and it was so dangerous because the lanes on the FDR are really narrow, so the bus was just an accident waiting to happen.  I was going the other direction so I couldn't see where it got off, but it was just scary seeing it nearly collide with a car.

The driver ignored all the "PASSENGER CARS ONLY", "8000 POUND LIMIT", "NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES", and "NO TRUCKS" signs, and this is exactly why the FDR in that section is cars only.

--

Accident happened with non-MTA buses. Remember Chinatown B/O on Chinatown Buses illegal the height restriction during temporality 60th St Entrance, Chinatown Bus carrying passengers illegally used FDR Drive Southbound and bus got cut in half I think.

The BxM1s usually take the Harlem River Drive down to 125th and get off there and some will take 2nd Avenue down to 96th street and then over to Lex from there.  The BxM11 is out of Yonkers and I have to say while some of the B/Os out of there try to ensure that they don't caught in traffic some of them can be a bit careless.  Too many rookies I guess.  I have yet to see any of the Riverdale express buses go down lower than 125th street, though I did think about why more of them don't go further down.  Explains a lot though...

Come to think of though, aren't there parts of the FDR further down say below 23rd sttreet where express buses aren't allowed?? Many of them just don't know and stay on anyway...

IIRC, you can take a MCI as far down as 96th street. I've done it to avoid heavy uptown traffic.

If you're talking solely about height restrictions, then yes, I believe that a bus can physically use the FDR in its entirety except for the underpass from 80th-90th Streets and at 63rd Street, but a bus is about as wide as a lane and is very dangerous. 

Do you mean downtown traffic, as in you've taken the southbound FDR Drive?  I don't think an MCI can fit under 96th to get to the northbound side, and even if it could the merge onto the highway would be disastrous.  Please follow the law and don't endanger innocent motorists.

The BxM1s usually take the Harlem River Drive down to 125th and get off there and some will take 2nd Avenue down to 96th street and then over to Lex from there.  The BxM11 is out of Yonkers and I have to say while some of the B/Os out of there try to ensure that they don't caught in traffic some of them can be a bit careless.  Too many rookies I guess.  I have yet to see any of the Riverdale express buses go down lower than 125th street, though I did think about why more of them don't go further down.  Explains a lot though...

Come to think of though, aren't there parts of the FDR further down say below 23rd sttreet where express buses aren't allowed?? Many of them just don't know and stay on anyway...

There is a 8000 pound weight limit restriction between 20th St and 125th Street, however you will almost always see downtown QM bus drivers illegally get on the FDR at 34th Street and take it all the way down.  Only a few times have I seen a driver follow the law and get on from 30th Street and exit at 25th Street to take Avenue C to the 20th Street entrance. 

MTA bus drivers think that the laws don't apply to them, and I've been on a few X90/X92 buses that have taken it all the way up to the 42nd Street exit.  The lanes are really narrow, and some of those turns (ESPECIALLY the one between 125th-116th) would require a bus to take up 2 lanes.

There is a 8000 pound weight limit restriction between 20th St and 125th Street, however you will almost always see downtown QM bus drivers illegally get on the FDR at 34th Street and take it all the way down.  Only a few times have I seen a driver follow the law and get on from 30th Street and exit at 25th Street to take Avenue C to the 20th Street entrance. 

MTA bus drivers think that the laws don't apply to them, and I've been on a few X90/X92 buses that have taken it all the way up to the 42nd Street exit.  The lanes are really narrow, and some of those turns (ESPECIALLY the one between 125th-116th) would require a bus to take up 2 lanes.

lol... That's what I thought... The QM drivers are always on it... You can see QM7s and QM8s every few minutes during the rush on it esp... Some of the BM drivers stay on it too and a few of the SI drivers as well.

Those buses are supposed to go on there as part of the route.

In any case, well, as the saying goes, no harm, no foul. Hopefully, he didn't injure anybody while taking that route, and if so, well, his passengers saved some time and got Downtown quicker.

In any case, well, as the saying goes, no harm, no foul. Hopefully, he didn't injure anybody while taking that route, and if so, well, his passengers saved some time and got Downtown quicker.

That's like saying if I shoot a gun in the middle of a crowded intersection and it doesn't hit anyone then there's no harm done and I didn't do anything wrong.

A car had to slam on their brakes and blare their horn because the driver of this oversized vehicle illegally using the roadway was veering into the next lane.  The lanes on the FDR are narrow; buses are wide; combine those two things with a curve and it doesn't end well.

He probably used FDR to 97th street then 5th ave down.

Gorgor remember MTA doesn't give a F***. But yeah you have somewhat of a point but FDR should get widened it's too small.

That's like saying if I shoot a gun in the middle of a crowded intersection and it doesn't hit anyone then there's no harm done and I didn't do anything wrong.

A car had to slam on their brakes and blare their horn because the driver of this oversized vehicle illegally using the roadway was veering into the next lane.  The lanes on the FDR are narrow; buses are wide; combine those two things with a curve and it doesn't end well.

Part of the problem is that like you said these B/Os don't know where they should and shouldn't be on on the FDR... As you confirmed earlier, some of them should not be on the FDR on parts below 23rd street... I've been riding for years on the FDR and always wondered about that myself...

He probably used FDR to 97th street then 5th ave down.

Gorgor remember MTA doesn't give a F***. But yeah you have somewhat of a point but FDR should get widened it's too small.

Not necessarily... He may have asked the passengers where they were going and called himself taking a shortcut... It's the norm on the Yonkers buses.

If you're talking solely about height restrictions, then yes, I believe that a bus can physically use the FDR in its entirety except for the underpass from 80th-90th Streets and at 63rd Street, but a bus is about as wide as a lane and is very dangerous. 

Do you mean downtown traffic, as in you've taken the southbound FDR Drive?  I don't think an MCI can fit under 96th to get to the northbound side, and even if it could the merge onto the highway would be disastrous.  Please follow the law and don't endanger innocent motorists.

ERR FYI the underpasses at 80th to 90th streets are both 11"10 and 11"8 both of which MCI cruisers are able to safely pass under. MCI MTA buses are only 11"5 meaning that those underpasses are not low enough to physically keep buses off. Megabus maybe but not regular buses that aren't double decker. Only buses big like megabus are too tall for the FDR at those points. Plus 63rd can be avoided easily via the 71st street exit. 

Part of the problem is that like you said these B/Os don't know where they should and shouldn't be on on the FDR... As you confirmed earlier, some of them should not be on the FDR on parts below 23rd street... I've been riding for years on the FDR and always wondered about that myself...

Not necessarily... He may have asked the passengers where they were going and called himself taking a shortcut... It's the norm on the Yonkers buses.

The first stop on BXM11 in manhattan is 98th and 5th ave which can be reached much faster by staying on the FDR until exit 14.

The first stop on BXM11 in manhattan is 98th and 5th ave which can be reached much faster by staying on the FDR until exit 14.

So what?? Doesn't mean he went that way if no one was getting off there... I've taken BxM2 that have taken 5th Avenue down to 57th street and totally bypassed the West side because no one was getting off there.

Gorgor it's amazing to me how you were able to observe all this while you we're driving in the opposite direction. Shouldn't you be paying attention to what your doing instead?lol. Sounds like you worry to much. We r professionals. Let us do the driving ah. Yes buses r large vehicles and they do take up almost the whole lane. And as far as weight restrictions goes I believe the Roosevelt ave bridge right outside my depot (Casey Stengel depot) has a limit of about 20 tons and I'm sure the artics weigh a lot more then that.

Some BxM buses dont even use the RFK. They'll use the WIllis/Third Ave Bridges.

With Express buses, theres some flexibility with routing along the non stop portions at the driver's discretion. 

Gorgor it's amazing to me how you were able to observe all this while you we're driving in the opposite direction. Shouldn't you be paying attention to what your doing instead?lol. Sounds like you worry to much. We r professionals. Let us do the driving ah. Yes buses r large vehicles and they do take up almost the whole lane. And as far as weight restrictions goes I believe the Roosevelt ave bridge right outside my depot (Casey Stengel depot) has a limit of about 20 tons and I'm sure the artics weigh a lot more then that.

well im thinking around the 20 ton mark myself as a guestimate. I remember the 1985 RTS being around 39,000 lbs. An MCI otr coach is around what, 42,000 lbs?

Now given that newer vehicles in general use lighter composite materials and more fiberglss than older models, and low floors in general have relocated equipment based on arrangements (most equipment in the rear section) im going to guess maybe 40,000 to 41,000 lbs? As long as the bridge is completely full of nothing but artics across all lanes covering each inch, that thing aint coming down. The 20-ton limit is for each vehicle(on average) accounts for multiple vehicles on the bridge(better safe than sorry) and not its maximum load capacity(which would probably be restricted to 2-5 ton limit with a "cars only" sign).  

Buses are allowed on the FDR south of 20th Street.  (It's just the part between 34th and 20th where QMs use it illegally)

I was in the left lane, so looking forward gives me a view of the entire roadway ahead, and then the car blaring its horn at the bus definitely got my attention for a quick moment, and then of course I looked in my side mirror and saw that the bus wasn't properly in its lane.  I don't care how "professional" you guys are, trying to keep a bus in one of those narrow lanes around a curve is like square block in circular hole... it just won't fit.

And the only reason I'm posting this here is because the bus would've caused an accident had the driver of the car not slammed on the brakes.  This is exactly the reason why buses are prohibited from this stretch of roadway.

Part of the problem is that like you said these B/Os don't know where they should and shouldn't be on on the FDR...

That's why there's an offical "Route Instruction" for each route. Each bus operator is responsible for knowing the route and is liable for any accidents that might occur when going off-route without authorization.

Buses are allowed on the FDR south of 20th Street.  (It's just the part between 34th and 20th where QMs use it illegally)

Actually I'm thinking of an instance going north on the FDR where buses were not supposed to go past a certain point and were to use the exit ramp.... I'm not sure if that was temporary or not and why because there was no work being done, but this was below 20th street...

Lol I hate to tell u but it fits. The op was probably trying to avoid traffic.

So you're saying that the "PASSENGER CARS ONLY" regulation is only in effect when there's no traffic on the avenues?

Actually I'm thinking of an instance going north on the FDR where buses were not supposed to go past a certain point and were to use the exit ramp.... I'm not sure if that was temporary or not and why because there was no work being done, but this was below 20th street...

The only northbound exits between South Street and 20th is for the Brooklyn Bridge and Houston St.

The only northbound exits between South Street and 20th is for the Brooklyn Bridge and Houston St.

Yeah the Houston St. exit is the one that some B/Os would use on the express bus and I notice that there's that sign there about size limit, but it seemed as if that was temporary or is it...? That's what I was thinking about before when I made that comment earlier... We would exit there and then take Houston and go down to 1st Avenue and take that up to 23rd street.

Lol yes we are aloud on there. Every city bus has a paper permit in th drivers area issued by the NYC dot that gives us permission to travel on parkways either while deadheading or in passenger service. Now you know. Don't forget cause there will be a test on all this next week. Lol

Really?  Are there any pictures of this permit?  The only one that I'm aware of is that MTA buses are allowed to use the Grand Cetral between the LIE and RFK, but I find it very hard to believe that the DOT would allow buses on the FDR up there.

So you're saying that the "PASSENGER CARS ONLY" regulation is only in effect when there's no traffic on the avenues?

Do you know how many of those signs are up around the city? Take for example on 5th Av below 96th St there are signs that say "Franchise Buses Only", yet us charter/line run guys run 5th with no problem. Same with West End Av above 57th St. That's signed as Passenger Cars Only yet on bad nights when 9th Av is a disaster the line runs guys use it to get down to the Port. The city wants the buses to use certain streets then fine,but make it convenient for the drivers to use them.

Lol yes we are aloud on there. Every city bus has a paper permit in th drivers area issued by the NYC dot that gives us permission to travel on parkways either while deadheading or in passenger service. Now you know. Don't forget cause there will be a test on all this next week. Lol

I know for a fact that Yonkers has permits for the FDR and Henry Hudson. Academy has permits for the Henry Hudson also.

Archived