Subway Route Lengths

vanshnookenraggen

To be fair, if the Depression + WWII hadn't pretty much killed the Second System off, this really wouldn't be an issue.

So true, right on point. If WW2 did'nt happened the IND Second System would have become a reality. Just imagine how Queens would look like with the added spurs off QBL, or South 4th Street into Brooklyn. It would be a totally different scenerio in the metro NY area from what we see today.

That's why I like vanshnookenraggen's work. From what I have seen on his site he is taking long lost projects and also proposed extensions such as Second Ave line Phase 2, 3, the Queens super express options etc etc into consideration with his maps. And it is very accurate yes absolutely. Very interesting work that shows creativity. I give him props for his hard work!

I mean check out the maps, layouts and background information on the future of NYC transit, follow the link:

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/category/maps/futurenycsubway/

Man-Brook.png

That's absolutely brilliant on the part of vanshnookenraggen.

@realizm: I actually like the Nassau Street connection proposal. Looks almost possible.... but not now.

What I find intriging (which was incorperated into these maps) is the South 4th Street connection with two proposed tunnels coming off the IND 8th Ave line and also the 6th Ave line, which is actually in line with the original IND Second System proposals which was intended to bring 8th Ave locals (from the WTC terminal stub) and 6th ave express trains (from the Second Ave station that currently is served by the (F) in Manhattan... Before the Chrystie Connection became a reality) into Williamsburg in Brooklyn as a 6 track line (!!). The station shell still exists along the (G) line at Broadway if I'm correct as a result of IND overengineering as you well know. Imagine if that was actully built.

That Nassau St proposal is a good proposal  but I think as others have discussed and concluded in the Second Ave Line discussion thread a while back, it would be an engineering nightmare with gas lines, building foundations, existing subway infrastructure in the vicinity of the area where construction is to occur. If the MTA ever in our lifetimes decide to complete Second SAve Phase 4 the logical and cost effective thing to do is to drill new tunnels from scratch, IMHO.

What I find intriging (which was incorperated into these maps) is the South 4th Street connection with two proposed tunnels coming off the IND 8th Ave line and also the 6th Ave line, which is actually in line with the original IND Second System proposals which was intended to bring 8th Ave locals (from the WTC terminal stub) and 6th ave express trains (from the Second Ave station that currently is served by the (F) in Manhattan... Before the Chrystie Connection became a reality) into Williamsburg in Brooklyn as a 6 track line (!!). The station shell still exists along the (G) line at Broadway if I'm correct as a result of IND overengineering as you well know. Imagine if that was actully built.

Correct about the South 4th Street station at the Broadway stop on the (G):

The station shell was indeed built, and there are actually photos.

http://www.hopetunnel.org/subway/nyct/s4/index.html

The line was to be served by 6th avenue trains Via the stub tracks past 2nd av, and 8th avenue trains via an unbuilt connection under Worth street between Canal and Chambers, not from the stub terminal. (Although, It's possible this connection would have slurped up the local trains, leaving Chambers Street open on 8th Av trains and usurping the Terminal's traffic.)

See the maps below. 

Segment of Official City-printed second system map:

1939SecondSystem.jpg

Routes overlaid on Google Maps:

tumblr_m0fk5ifbjD1rqdhzwo1_1280.jpg

The line was to be served by 6th avenue trains Via the stub tracks past 2nd av, and 8th avenue trains via an unbuilt connection under Worth street between Canal and Chambers, not from the stub terminal. (Although, It's possible this connection would have slurped up the local trains, leaving Chambers Street open on 8th Av trains and usurping the Terminal's traffic.)

See the maps below. 

1939SecondSystem.jpg

See the maps below. 

1939SecondSystem.jpg

Something is missing in this map that where is the borough of Staten Island ... Why have  (R) go to Staten Island.. when there is tunnel that headway built passing through 95 street last stop.  (R) to Staten Island I wish if it were to happen..

Something is missing in this map that where is the borough of Staten Island ... Why have  (R) go to Staten Island.. when there is tunnel that headway built passing through 95 street last stop.  (R) to Staten Island I wish if it were to happen..

Why are you quoting a post twice. You seem the same as Tim92. Funny thing you pop back up when he's banned.

EDIT: Where does it say the (R) goes to SI?

Archived