Problem with O Scale Model Train

R160

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could assist me with a problem I'm having with an O-scale train I have.

It's a 6-8-6 Pennsylvania. Here are some photos of what it looks like:

41581_R.jpg

This is the remote I use:

$(KGrHqV,!qUE-Z!4mcLQBPmr4nyuZQ~~60_35.J

It's a Rail King I/R Remote.

Everything about it works fine except for the fact that it doesn't move! All the lights turn on, the bell and whistle/horn work, and the train makes all its normal sound effects. However, when I increase the voltage, the train doesn't move. 

I've tried uncoupling the cars, unplugging the entire thing, unplugging the thing next to the remote in the photo above, etc.

Sorry that my model railroading vocab is so poor, I haven't touched this thing in at least 4 years so that might be why it's not working.

Any help is appreciated. 

Are the tracks in good condition, ie not rusted? And did you try to give the engine a slight push or pull to give it some 'traction'? I have an o27 lionel set that I didn't touch for years but it still worked (after I bought new tracks to replace the rusted older ones). If all else fails, perhaps the engine is the problem and needs to be fixed.

Are the tracks in good condition, ie not rusted? And did you try to give the engine a slight push or pull to give it some 'traction'? I have an o27 lionel set that I didn't touch for years but it still worked (after I bought new tracks to replace the rusted older ones). If all else fails, perhaps the engine is the problem and needs to be fixed.

I have realtrax. It appears some might be a little rusty but most look ok. I just sprayed some WD-40 on the tracks, and on the wheels and under the train. So far no luck. I noticed that the light on the train doesn't actually turn on but it still makes all the normal noises.

EDIT: The train actually moved about 2 inches. It often turns itself off so I'm thinking it might actually be the tracks. I have a caboose that has a light which turns on and I noticed when its just sitting on the tracks it doesn't turn on, but when I move it around manually, the light stays on for the most part.

I'd try replacing the tracks first. For me that was the issue with my train. The tracks were badly rusted. Once I bought the new tracks, the train ran perfectly.

Will definitely try. Thanks for the help.

Will definitely try. Thanks for the help.

What make is the engine? Lionel? MTH? See if there is an authorized service station that can fix it. Lionel and MTH's websites will have a list. If there is a train store near you that has O gauge stuff ask them. If not you might have to ship it to the company who made it. Check their website on how to do that.

Archived