Transit Workers Union tells motormen to slow down trains

Harry

I think some are getting confused with the MTA and TWU.  They are completely different entities.  Regardless if the MTA puts up gates or not, this has nothing to do with it.  This was issued by the union and, as Dave said, is not an order from the MTA.  The union can not tell MTA employees how to operate the trains.

The Union TWU can only suggest things to thier members they can't enforce anything because thats Management/Supervision job. The Union would have been more effective if they tell the members to obey the posted speed signs. That would have been more valid because if you hit someone and the posted speed is 15 and you did 25 thats not a good look. Also the notice is misleading it tells them if a supervisor harass you tell the union. So it sound like the TSS is just going to treaten to write you up and the union going to make it all better. That won't be the case they will be off the train and held out of service without pay until they see Labor Relations. So Labor Relations and union will hammer the arguement out rather the said Employee train operation was a Job Action or safety.

i dont think this works especially on the 7 line with 90 second intervals. With some stations on inclines a T/O has to approach at high speed so that momentum takes the train to the stop maker without stopping short or rolling back. whats next they gonna shut 3rd rail power off in the stations when it isnt being occupied by a train to prevent people from getting electricuted. 

I can't imagine what riding the (A) line would be like if this actually went forward. It's an incredibly slow line as is - and really, the journey from the Rockaways to Manhattan is quite dull unless if you get an R32.

Even with an R32 its just ok at best.  Don't know about you but I can only enjoy the train car for so long.

Even with an R32 its just ok at best.  Don't know about you but I can only enjoy the train car for so long.

Well, yes - being on an hour and 15 minutes ride on an R62A would drive me insane aswell (although if I got out of the train for a 10 minute break and then got another train of the same type I'd be alright). I'm just saying that completing the trip on a vintage car is far less irritating than on an R46.

Plus, in the summer, the R46s are quite stuffy.

Archived