WHY the MTA is the WORST business in NYC

cbladez

Despite the many flaws the regular bus service has and continues to ignore, one of the MTA's most disgusting failures is with their handling of our seniors and disabled. Ask any senior/disabled rider of MTA's Access A Ride their opinion of the MTA service and you're garunteed to get many stories of how the MTA failed them. Not only is the service unreliable with late pick ups and quite often no pick ups but the then have the nerve to blame the rider? (Customer is always right doesn't live here). Even when contacted to alert that the driver never showed the rider is often rudely greeted with blame by a customer service agent looking at a screen trying to tell them why they are at fault(again quite rudely). I personally dont use the service but have travelled with my grandmother a couple of times and each time with incident. The first time was a trip from Staten Island to Rocafeller Plaza. The bus to take us was late and the bus that was supposed to return us never showed so we ended up stuck in the city for hours before they decided that they would approve a voucher for a cab. Not to mention the run around on the phone we were getting from customer service who told us the driver was a lil late to we were a no show mind you if he late we been at the pick up point. Listen to some of their logic A driver can leave after 5 min if he doesn't see you without calling to notify you or anything but you must wait at least 30 min after your pick up time to call if they are late( by that  time they gonna say you were a no show). They have no accountability, customer service is a nonexistent what they have are people who take your reservation that's about it. I'm not even going to get into how they move logistically a lot of times going backward to go forward meaning if they had 2 pick ups A to B then C to D they would pick up A drive past B to get C just to double back to B then finally D. That makes sense to them. Remember its not everyday people I'm talking about it's our seniors and disabled the ones who have it hard enough. MTA should be ashamed at their mishandling of people who want to use their service, where is their quality assurance? nonexistent ! Why doesn't Nuria Fernandez substitute her car service for a week with Access A Ride and see how well her program runs or set up some "mystery shoppers" to see their true performance? It's not gonna happen because they don't care.

1. The MTA is not a private business.. it is a public corporation run by the State of New York.

2. I believe the Access A Ride services are not directly operated by the MTA themselves but contracted to independent private operators.. At least the ones by where I live here in Queens are.

Archived