can this be possible in Nyc?

pjbr40

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/woman-steals-empty-train-crashes-apartment-building-article-1.1240285

A Scotland citizen drove the train out of the yard and jump the track and hit the apartment building. No injury in this incident. I was thinking it can happen here in Nyc (hope not) especially along the elevated structure (like the (D) train after leaving Fort Hamilton parkway  heading toward 9th Avenue.)anywhere in the 5 borough. 

There are a lot of obstacles to this happening in our transit system, but, in theory - if you were able to:

1. gain access to a layed-up train
  2. had keys to enter the train
  3. had the proper keys for that class of train to run it, which may include brake handle and/or reverser
  4. were able to get switches set from your layup to the mainline without a tower realizing there was something amiss. 
  5. find a dangerous elevated section of track that, miraculously, had not been fitted with timers. 

So sure. It's "Possible". Though, I think, you'd have better odds of winning the Powerball while being struck by lightning.

While. Not "and". While.

If someone did have access and keys, at least to a train in a yard, I think the most likely scenario is a Yard Derailment. Which, if nothing else, would really screw things up for the rest of the commuters that day. 

I remember a story that was published in the magazine of the French transport Union describing the fact that an New York subway operator was replaced by a transit fan during rest removed or overtime. Until the day when the young man was stopped by a security system (speed limit exceeded in a curve) and he was unable to restart the subway. This was in the early 90s.

If this story was true and not distorted by some writers who know nothing in transport it proved that even if we knew driving a subway train, safety systems could lock you in case of overspeed.

I remember a story that was published in the magazine of the French transport Union describing the fact that an New York subway operator was replaced by a transit fan during rest removed or overtime. Until the day when the young man was stopped by a security system (speed limit exceeded in a curve) and he was unable to restart the subway. This was in the early 90s.

If this story was true and not distorted by some writers who know nothing in transport it proved that even if we knew driving a subway train, safety systems could lock you in case of overspeed.

There is an autistic railfan that's snuck into trains (The (E) in particular, if I remember correctly) and operated them a number of times. Don't think he ever got into any accidents, but it is fairly disturbing.  

i remember one time a young adult who love trains and did a 3 hours hijack. Yes it was the (A) train.He was operating one full round trip to cover for somebody. He actually was wearing wrong uniform pant but the supervisor let it go. By the time he got near 207 street area, the train was in emergency brake because he failed to negotiate the speed in the curves. He refused to go down on the track to fix the brake and that where he was slapped on the wrist. I would never forget this story. I forgot what year it was too.

I think every city has know the same story.
In Nice, we had a gypsy autistic always ask lots of information on bus, everyone knew him. One day he stole a bus and took the highway to Italy, fortunately at the toll, they found a strange that's city bus Nice take the motorway direction Monaco / Italy.
Then we had several, including two with clients on board! Thereit was a young "commuters" who didn't wait the driver or who wanted to make a sensation. Each bus has not gone very far.

C.U.Soon,

Laurent (JFK)

The chance of someone hijacking a train in the NYC Subway system is slim. The chance of a derailment is even slimmer, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened before. For more information check out here. http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_FAQ:_Accidentshttp://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_FAQ:_Accidents

There was that one guy that tried to steal an R142A (4) train back in 2011, so who knows...

I think someone stole an RTS from a Toronto depot once. I don't know how true that is, it's been a while since I heard it.

There are some batsh*t crazy people in this hobby.

Some one stole a Command TMC CNG RTS back in 2001 or so and crashed it! Total loss, forgot what unit though.

The incident was as follows.

The young man showed up at 207th street, the northern terminal of the A, and pretened to be a motorman to the crew office.

He made a near full round trip to Lefferts Blvd and back before a timer signal, which mesures how fast you're going, triggered on a curve near the last stop.

the track level mounted stop arm for the signal came up and triggered the train's emergency brakes, which compelety vents the air pressure in the brakeline. the train theif was unable to get the brake compressors to recharge the airbrake system to get the train moving again.

When such an event occaurs in normal operations, train operators are brought in for drug testing, it was only at this point the wanna be motorman was found out. given his youth, he was given three years of probation, which was extened when he was accused of having stabbed someone a year later.

A teenager stole a Lynx bus around here (I heard it was Orion V 425, which was at an auction) and drove it on the 39 route (now discontinued). He picked a few passengers and they didn't notice anything strange. A new driver in a bus with no farebox, no cameras, and the driver not wearing a uniform. He ran the bus on time.

Had the bus had a farebox and cameras there is a good chance the fourth passenger who would call police after noticing something wasn't right wouldn't have noticed anything strange. He managed to get through most of Winter Park and didn't start at the bus station like the 39 normally did.

The same kid even stole a Mears bus years before that 2006 incident and drove that thing all the way to Fort Lauderdale with a full load of passengers and no one questioned it. He basically drove over 220 miles south and no knew anything strange was taking place. He was also on time and on schedule too.

A teenager stole a Lynx bus around here (Orion V 425, which was at an auction) and drove it on the 39 route (now discontinued). He picked a few passengers and they didn't notice anything strange. A new driver in a bus with no farebox and no uniform. He ran the bus on time. Had the bus had a farebox and cameras there is a good chance the fourth passenger who would call police after noticing something wasn't right wouldn't have noticed anything strange. He managed to get through most of Winter Park and didn't start at the station like the 39 did. The same kid even stole a Mears bus years before that 2006 incident and drove that thing all the way to Fort Lauderdale with a full load of passengers and no one questioned it. 

Are you for real?!?!? Damn, he would make an excellent driver.

Are you for real?!?!? Damn, he would make an excellent driver.

I am serious as ever man. I don't know how he did it and I was shocked when I heard that story that he drove a Mears bus that far. The idea he stole a Lynx bus at an auction is even more surprising to me, cause there is a lot of people there. Someone should have been able to notice a 15 year old teenager around the buses. He managed to complete the 39 route half way.

Archived