The HO scale in the US

megabus

Hello friends,

I would like to know if the HO scale is widely used by North American train modelists. I noticed that the scale O scale was often used in US, In Europe and France it's quite rare, most often modelers use 1/87 scale (HO, HOm or HOe) and the N 1/160 scale.

C.U.Soon,

Laurent (JFK)

I never understood the appeal of O. Isn't the roller power pick up off putting as a compromise in model realism? And the starter set curves are uselessly tight. At a minimum O-48 is needed for anything somewhat realistic. O gauge only dominates the high end range of american model railroads but not the larger market. 

Except for dear mta, HO also has the best availability of amtrak and  commuter railroads.

Ok, so HO scale is very well represented. I asked this because I couldn't find a lot of models (cars, buses, trucks) in this scale.

I never understood the appeal of O. Isn't the roller power pick up off putting as a compromise in model realism? And the starter set curves are uselessly tight. At a minimum O-48 is needed for anything somewhat realistic. O gauge only dominates the high end range of american model railroads but not the larger market. 

Except for dear mta, HO also has the best availability of amtrak and  commuter railroads.

Me too, I don't very like O scale.

You say "except for dear MTA", it would mean that there is no subway models in HO scale?

I run HOn3, mostly because it was grandfathered in when I inherited a large collection of brass geared locomotives and mallets from my grandfather (I'd never dare to run them though). Whatever model trains I run is mostly restricted to a little 44 tonner and a couple little brass flatcars.

I Deal with O scale mainly due to model buses. HO scale buses are a bit harder to customize however if you have the skill it can be done. O scale buses arre easier for me. O scale trains is another story...

It is true that it is much easier to customize buses in O scale, which is widely used by Europeans modelists who collect static models.

But we have a lot of bus of different French networks colors in HO scale, much more than the scale O. And they take up much less space!

If you want I could put pictures of model O which have been marketed.

I run HOn3, mostly because it was grandfathered in when I inherited a large collection of brass geared locomotives and mallets from my grandfather (I'd never dare to run them though). Whatever model trains I run is mostly restricted to a little 44 tonner and a couple little brass flatcars.

What represents the HOn3 scale exactly?  In Europe we have the HO scale (1/87) HOm scale (1/87 metric gauge track) and HOe scale (1/87 narrow gauge). Could you put some pics of yours HOn3 models, like Mallet?

C.U.Soon,

Laurent (JFK)

You can find cheaper O gauge by checking the larger train stores and the manufacturers that sell at lower cost. Trainland,Just Trains and Charles Ro have O gauge at good prices. Williams by Bachmann have well made engines at low prices and good quality.

You say "except for dear MTA", it would mean that there is no subway models in HO scale?

there are a few IRT SMEE car sets in HO, but the vast majoirty of trains based on the subway are MTH or Lionel O gauge.

This is an MTH made set based on the BMT "Q" cars used for the 1939 World's Fair from my collection.

I also have MTH's D E and 2 train sets and Lionel's Metro-North M7.

I think looking at some toys stores in NYC to try to find some models in HO scale to bring with me in France.

It's a shame that there was no New York subways models at this scale! I guess there is no MTA bus on this scale.

P.S: I sell bus at this scale, almost as French models, some foreigners. If this is someone interested, I can always bring in my luggage for my trip in february.

the transit museum store had the HO but i guess ether thier supply is gone or it's not for sale online, I do have a set of those, but bought it at the store in GCT.

I take advantage of my trip to see what is available in the Transit museum shop. Hoping that the NYPD museum could reopen by then ...

What is GCT? ^_^

Grand Central Terminal. The museum shop is located there.

Yesss ok!!!

Theres Trainworld on ditmas n mcdonald in brooklyn. Right now they have the green r17 in ho avail for 124.99. Going there on saturday to pick up another set.

Thank you, I will visit this shop also. Could someone tell me if the store is open all the time because on the site it says: opening hours for holidays... :blink:

Archived