Car inspector exam 3604 5/4/13

DiviouZz

im thinking of applying for this position for may 2015,my question is that the application says only Practical test i dont see any written portion for this exam on the application..do anyone know whats on the pratical portion?

Its only a practical exam....you take apart a valve and complete some electrical circuits...THE MAIN THING IS THAT YOU FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. The instructors will fail you if you go beyond what is required...BTW.....DID I MENTION :FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its only a practical exam....you take apart a valve and complete some electrical circuits...THE MAIN THING IS THAT YOU FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. The instructors will fail you if you go beyond what is required...BTW.....DID I MENTION :FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!!

Could you go into detail on the electrical circuits?

Are they basic breadboards or actual printed circuits?

How are connections made? (crimping I assume?)

• 3 months later...

I have a question for the people that were hired as provisional, did any of tou guys become permanent as of yet? And if so what did it take for you to become permanent and how long? I have just been sworn in as a structure maintainer, which requires a practical test, but they called me in without even taking a practical test to be provisional. Just curious about the CI guys that was hired as provisional, i know some of you guys situation was similar.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

i would like to know whats the difference of a  Provisional position?  the one im signing up for which is currently on MTA websight doesnt mention if its provisional

provisional position is like temporary. You are always on the bottom of seniority list and MTA can kick you out any time they want .You need to take and pass exam to be permanent and even if you pass exam doesn't guarantee permanent position. it depend how good your score is and how many people they want to hire. List is good for 4 years.

I have a question for the people that were hired as provisional, did any of tou guys become permanent as of yet? And if so what did it take for you to become permanent and how long? I have just been sworn in as a structure maintainer, which requires a practical test, but they called me in without even taking a practical test to be provisional. Just curious about the CI guys that was hired as provisional, i know some of you guys situation was similar.

Thanks in advance

after you take exam it might take year and a have

provisional position is like temporary. You are always on the bottom of seniority list and MTA can kick you out any time they want .You need to take and pass exam to be permanent and even if you pass exam doesn't guarantee permanent position. it depend how good your score is and how many people they want to hire. List is good for 4 years.

after you take exam it might take year and a have

What i dont understand is, i filled out an app.( and paid $70) for a permanent position. Yet they called me for a temp. I would rather have taken the pratical first, to become permanent before leaving a solid job for a temp position.

Also how does the probation work. After you pass pratical and wait a year + to become permanent you still have to do a year probation?

Thanks for your input also

you are being called for a temporary position because they need guys to do the job. Once you take the test and pass the test you will be put on a list. Once they start calling people from that list they will make you permanent.  The reason they are calling you for the temporary position is because you had a strong resume. In the meantime all the time you accrue as a temporary employee will count towards your pension , vacation etc.

you are being called for a temporary position because they need guys to do the job. Once you take the test and pass the test you will be put on a list. Once they start calling people from that list they will make you permanent. The reason they are calling you for the temporary position is because you had a strong resume. In the meantime all the time you accrue as a temporary employee will count towards your pension , vacation etc.

Thanks i have been looking for that info. For some time now. One last question, how does probation work. If your on the job as a temp for more than a year and become permanent, do you still have to do a year pobation after you become permanent? Or that time as a temp counts?

Thanks again

• 2 months later...

has anyone took this exam yet if so ..any insight of this exam would be helpful of what to study for the practical

It's a 3 part test

a) mechanical.....take apart a valve and put back together

b) use ohm meter to troubleshoot and identify components on two separate boards

c) wire up a lighted stud board using premade wires, battery and a bulb

Pretty sure I failed all but the mechanical portion of the test, so I was very surprised when I got the call

• 1 month later...

i know for sure i nailed the mechanical valve portion,trouble shooting but the wiring board i screwed up on..my other 2 friends did the same test as well and they both got a call and one already started and the other starts oct 5th..so i guess i failed but i do start trainoperator training in oct 26th

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, new to the forum.

My son took exam #3604 on May 18th 2013, and passed. Then took the practical on sept.9th 2015. And passed and was told he'd get called in January.

Now when we check progress on DCAS phone, it says exam 3604 was not given yet.

Any thoughts??

Thanx.

Hi guys, new to the forum.

My son took exam #3604 on May 18th 2013, and passed. Then took the practical on sept.9th 2015. And passed and was told he'd get called in January.

Now when we check progress on DCAS phone, it says exam 3604 was not given yet.

Any thoughts??

Thanx.

Did they actually give you results for the practical in September?

I took mine back in June and although I was hired in July, we still have yet to get the results of the test.

Archived