Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
DiviouZz

Car inspector exam 3604 5/4/13

Just for clarification. These person starting the December class went through the practical test for CI already?

no, its 2 separate lines. the December people are being called for a temporary job, not provisional. and if they don't pass the practical will be let go. but the practical test is the same as everyone else, and will then be placed in the same list number. we were told that this is a temp position like someone took a leave of absence, or there is extra work. the only difference is those that start working will already have some seniority. 

Ok thanks for the info. It would be nice whoever taking the practical early to give us a heads up on what it is based on.

there will be 3 troubleshooting boards. have to figure out whats not working. then disassemble and re-assemble a valve, and throw some jumpers based on an electrical diagram. 

load sensor valve. class is good, 25 people. next class is sometimes in Jan. first 2 days are orientation, than safety, then one day to get boots, then knife switch, brakes, trucks and wheels, propulsion, doors, A/C, basically learn everything. then you go into the train tunnel, walk along the rails, hide from trains between the posts. another day is the shop&yard. you learn how to step over the 3rd rail and climb into the train from the rails. then you learn how to power up the train without the 3rd rail. basically like plugging it into an outlet. 

results for last years practical came out. only 200 passed. those who passed are not working as a car inspector, will most likely be called first for the next class, and then once everyone on the list is called, they will continue calling those who passed the written test in may. 

Anyone took the pratical test this week. I took it a few days ago it was not tht easy  basically i dont think i had enough time and didnt finish the one to wire the circuit i got dwn to the last  wire,, damm. Im also not sure about the troubleshooting circuit with the diodes and led ,,the way i see it there were 2 bad diodes and a bad led. the valve was no ttht hard i think i got tht one no problem  Wht about u lyolik how do u think u did on the practical.

Anyone have any new info about the the hiring of people of the 3604 list.  Looks like thyre finished hiring provisionals and now only hiring from another exan 2606 , who knows when they  are gonna be fiished with that list i guess were all on hold until  may be next year  when tht list is exhausted. tht sucks. 

Edited by gemini6kl

they are calling permanent people from last years practical. my friend was called for the interview off the 3604 list in november, passed, and took the drug test. was called back today for another drug test as the drug test is only valid 90 days. he was told the next class starts Jan 27th. hes list number 70 on the 3604. he got a call on friday for the renewed drug test. and there was another guy that passed the physical, but the spots were taken up.  i hear Coney Island will need a lot of people for a new program they are opening up. from our class, 17 people went to 207st Overhaul. 

Seems a little confusing to me if theyre already calling at list number 70 cause my list number is 60 something and im still waitng for the 3rd call back as the last time i went for the second interview someone came back from medical and the class was filled . May be i will get a call soon.  Last time i called they said they were hiring of the 2606 list now , wht a bummer. hey did u get any info on if u passed the practical . im a lil worried about tht cause i didnt fifnish the wiring i got down to the last wire do u know if thats a pass or fail. how do they score it do u get partial credit or is it just a pass or fail thing. how many people do u figure they will need for the overhaul .

i didnt take practical yet. you get partial credit. its 30 points for each. if you get 2 fully right, you can still pass. you can get the bulb to light up, but use wrong tools, not wear glasses, and still fail. and you can do everything right and not finish and pass. dont know how many people for the overhaul. 

ok cool thnks for the info, I dint wear glasses for the first table :0  didnt realsie we were gonna be evaluated on tht as part of the test . oh well only time will tell on how i did .

Edited by gemini6kl

Ok, I took the practical exam, it was'nt easy cause you had a timer right next to you ticking away....the three circuits that was on the test was definitely the hardest out of the the three sections! THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE WORK TABLE. TRY NOT TO GO AHEAD OF YOURSELF. FOLLOW EVERY DETAIL STEP BY STEP AND YOU'LL DO OK. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES! GOOD LUCK! 

So, I went to 180 Livingston today...took another piss test because it is only good for 90 days, found out that the next car inspector class begins February 24...hopefully, I'll make it!

actually, there was a car inspector class starting on January 13th and January 27th. those 2 classes are for the perms from last years practical. Then there is a class starting on Feb 10th, and feb 17th. seems very strange that they have a new class every week, or every other week. but they have a lot of people retiring. retirement parties galore at work. 

Are they still hiring provisionals. Im still waiting for my 3rd call back. :0 I did all the medicals and physical s already but I think my piss test is expired. They say medical is good for 1 year. Bye the way How do u like it so far . Wht yard are u at.

im at 207 OverHaul truck shop. just got 6 new people today from last years practical list. they are continuing to hire provisionals for Feb 10th, and feb 24th classes.my friend went through the preinterview back in november, and took a piss test, then in jan went for another piss test as the previous expired. a week later he was called for a preinterview, and they asked the same questions, and sent him for another piss test. he said he took the same thing, and they checked the computer. in 2 hours he was called an asked to come in in 2 days for the medical, and is starting on feb 10th. 

another guy passed the medical in november, called them, and they said they didnt call him because he didnt pass this years practical. very strange. so call 180 livingston and find out whats going on. 

when do you start the orientation

I had a choice for the Feb 10th class or the 24th class...so, I chose the Monday class since it was just a couple of days away.. I was hired for the provisional position. 

Just curious what happens if youre hired for provisinal but didnt pass this years practical? are u really get laid off in the future or thats a rumour.

I really cant answer that...I know guys that got hired and still cant pass the practical and they been working for 2/3 years already....:(